We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Airport to La Barbarie

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
139 posts
136 reviews
Save Topic
Airport to La Barbarie

Would anybody be able to advise me on the best way to get from Guernsey airport to La Barbarie Hotel? I have looked at the bus route map for summer and it seems that I would need to change buses (unless I am reading it wrong, which is entirely possible!)

Would a taxi be a better option, and if so, roughly how much might it cost? I am travelling alone and meeting a friend coming from the ferry later.

Many thanks, looking forward to visiting Guernsey, Jersey and Herm!

Guernsey, United...
Level Contributor
66 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Airport to La Barbarie

Hi Reachforthesky

Ive just spoken to one of the taxi operators and he estimates a fare of just under £10.00 if you take a taxi from the rank at the airport. There tends to taxis available most times and other times there may be a short wait.

You can prebook and pay by CC or debit card at a fixed cost of £15.00.

Edited: 22 June 2014, 16:31
Netherlands
Destination Expert
for Guernsey
Level Contributor
5,232 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Airport to La Barbarie

Unfortunately, yes, you would have to change buses ... so I would opt for a taxi, if I were you. Otherwise, the hotel is in a lovely area, I'm sure you'll be happy there ^_^

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
139 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Airport to La Barbarie

Thank you both for your replies...

Mark-Guilbert - really kind of you to check out prices with taxi operators. I had assumed I would need to prebook but by the sounds of things I can turn up and go. Will a taxi driver accept an English note, or should I have a Guernsey one ready?

Meyem - thanks for confirming my timetable reading skills. That's a good start!

Guernsey, United...
Level Contributor
66 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Airport to La Barbarie

Hi Reachforthesky

You will find UK notes used everywhere on the island and are accepted at face value.

When you return to the UK you will probably find a mixture of UK, Guernsey and Jersey money in your pocket ( and even £1 notes!).

UK Banks will exchange Guernsey notes £ for £ but not £1 notes and coins, so best to spend those before you depart. If you are leaving the island it is common, and not at all frowned upon, to ask for English change to ensure that you have as little local change as possible.

Of course you could just save it for your next visit!

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
139 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Airport to La Barbarie

Thanks for the advice about currency. I read that I could use Guernsey notes/coins when I move on to Jersey which is one less thing to think about!

So many people make return journeys to the island so I have a feeling I'll be bringing my notes and coins home for another trip!

Netherlands
Destination Expert
for Guernsey
Level Contributor
5,232 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Airport to La Barbarie

Most ATMs will state if they hand out Guernsey or UK money .... I don't mind having Guernsey money left either, as I always know I will return ^_^

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
139 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Airport to La Barbarie

Hi again Mark-Guilbert and Meyem, just thought I would pop back to let you know that I had a wonderful trip to Guernsey. The advice offered by both of you was spot on, so I really do thank you for it! And yes, I came home with some Guernsey money because I will definitely be returning ;)

Guernsey, United...
Level Contributor
66 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Airport to La Barbarie

So happy you enjoyed Guernsey and glad that you will be returning again. :-)

9. Re: Airport to La Barbarie

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 August 2015, 07:15
Get answers to your questions about Guernsey
Recent Conversations