We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Jersey in may /camping???

yorkshire lass
Level Contributor
120 posts
Save Topic
Jersey in may /camping???

Hi,

I am looking at the possibility of booking 3 days in jersey at the end of May. It is my husband's 4oth birthday and i wanted to book a surprise trip for him. I have looked at Rose Farm for a ready erected tent whose prices seem affordable but the reviews i have read have totally put me off. Bleu soleil looks lovely and again prices seem good. I have to mangage to save the money without hubs finding out or it wont be a surprise. we are also going to fly there so wont have a car. will this be a problem? has anyone been to these camps and are they bus stops quite near to them?

Thanks for any reply

yorkshire lass
Level Contributor
120 posts
Save Reply
11. Re: Jersey in may /camping???

Thanks Ian , bectoria for your reply.

I am going to look at the car hire websites now, you ar right we dont want to be stood wasting time on buses. We go on thursday 22nd until sunday 25th so we might bump into each other. Like your daughter i hate being cold and have just added to my neverending list of things to take,blanket ect. We have been to jersey before but only daytrips on the ferry, the time we did take our car i was really ill and couldnt face driving around the island. All i want from this weekend is a rest, a bit of quality time with hubby( he works away through week days so dont get much time) nice friendly family pubs/restuarants, time on a nice beach regarding of weather, sunbathing would be fab though. We will probally spend friday or saturday visiting various attractions.

Where are you from Ian-how are you getting there??

UK
Level Contributor
23 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Jersey in may /camping???

Our trips don't quite overlap. We are flying out on Sunday May 25th at 11:25am. Around the time that you will be heading off I guess. And returning on the following Friday afternoon. I flew the previous time too. I'm from a village not far from Lincoln so it would be a long car ride down to the Channel Port and I really didn't fancy that or the long ferry journey either. Flying cuts out all that travel and potential seasickness AND you get an extra days holiday each way too! We are flying with bmibaby from Manchester. East Midlands would have been better but the cost was much higher. Maybe you could add some food to your already overcrowded baggage! I'm taking a few basics in mini food containers. Sugar, few t-bags, some scoops of cocoa, bit of coffee, rice etc. So I don't have to buy it in the usual quantity and bin any unused before leaving. Last time I found food shopping to be a bit of a chore. I'd love to be able to do it all in one hit but there doesn't seem to be a superstore on the Island. We used these shops that are like Spar's or small Co-Ops but not called that. It took a while to work out the parking scheme too. You buy these scratch tickets from all sorts of places like newsagents and display them on your dashboard. Just a bit of a different method to our pay and go ticket cash machines.

Where do you fly from?

Regards, Ian.

yorkshire lass
Level Contributor
120 posts
Save Reply
13. Re: Jersey in may /camping???

Hi,

We fly from manchester as well with b m i baby. I have added to the list a few food items. I think breakfast will be at the tent and rest of meals somewhere else, probally a pub if hubby has anything to do with it. Looking forward to perhaphs a meal outside tent (weather permitting) and some peace and quiet.

We are from sheffield and like you didnt fancy the long drive to weymouth then a ferry trip.

I think it says it only takes just over an hour, hubby has never flown before, neither youngest son who is coming with us, i havnt flown since my teens. Anthing we should expect?? be prepared for??

I want to go to the zoo, jersey potteries, bit of shopping, maybe jersey experience.

What are your plans while you are there?

Regards

UK
Level Contributor
23 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Jersey in may /camping???

> i havnt flown since my teens. Anthing we should

> expect?? be prepared for??

It was my children's first flight when we went last time. As such, it's ideal as it's so short. I think we were in the air about 3/4 of an hour. If you are checking in bags at the airport, you need to be there two hours before takeoff to do so. Read up on the size and weight restrictions on hand luggage. Also what you can/cannot carry in hand luggage. Last time I travelled I took only hand luggage. I knew you were not allowed to carry liquids. So I dumped my bottled water. I forgot that my toiletry bag was mostly off limits too so I had shampoo and deoderant confiscated! Get there earlier is my recommendation so you don't have to stress if held up on the roads or at the parking. Check in your bags and get your boarding passes and go airside straight away (ie. through security and passport control). I need to follow my own advice here because the last time I flew, it was waaaay slow through security (we all had to remove shoes amongst several other precautions) and there was an additional delay because they said I didn't look like my passport photo! Make the airport part of the holiday, after all I guess it will be a novel experience for your husband and son. And there are plenty of shops airside. Keep an eye on the monitors. They tell you when your departure gate is open and when the plane is ready for boarding. Suck boiled sweets on takeoff and landing. Hope it all goes well for you.

My kids will play on the beach no matter what the weather. Our favourite beach by a long way was Plemont Bay (top left hand side of Island as you look

at the map). It had lovely sand and rocks and cliffs. They played on the beach all day and as the tide came in we gradually retreated up the cliff steps and watched the sea as it covered the bay. We wil definitely go back there.

We visited the Jersey War Tunnels and this was enjoyed by us all. You each get an identity card of one of Islanders who was living during the occupation and you look out for them as they will somehwere be mentioned among the exhibits of this very extensive and sprawling underground complex.

St Aubins Fort in St Aubins Bay to the West of St Helier was a good walk. We enjoyed that. It's 1/2 a mile offshore, so you need low tide. We stayed near Gorey. The Castle here, Mont Orgeuil, was good as were the rocks below the castle by the harbour. This was our local "beach". No sand but the waters were shallow, lots of pools and the kids loved it.

This time we want to take a walk out to Corbiere Lighthouse (low tide only) and visit Elizabeth Castle. Plus I see from the map that the Island has a centre stone - might be fun to find and visit that. Looking forward to seeing Rozell Bay too.

Ian.

Jersey, United...
Level Contributor
1,155 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Jersey in may /camping???

I have bumped up the attractions posts as there are some good ideas in there, from the firm favorites such as amazin adventure park and the zoo, to the orchid foundation. You will be able to find something here to suit everybody depending on your party!

yorkshire lass
Level Contributor
120 posts
Save Reply
16. Re: Jersey in may /camping???

Hi,

Ian, wow, thanks for all that, i think we will be spoilt for choice what to do.

The airport and flying will be a big part of the trip and i.ve already planned getting there extra early in case of any hiccups.

The war tunnels sound great. I still havnt booked a car but we are going to surf the net probally this weekend and do so then.

Dont know if you can answer this or not but when i booked the flights online you could click how many bags per person were taking and get it a bit cheaper.Well i didnt click on any because i dont know how many bags we will end up with. I can still check my luggage in when i get there cant i and pay there and then per bag ??

I am going to look at the website again re hand luggage, i will have my asthma inhalers in hand luggage will this be okay.

Are you allowed cameras on board, would love to get some air photos?

We also went on plemont beach, i think it the one where we all thought it looked like a giant apple crumble, it was about 7pm and they had been over it with whatever they use to rake it all over and it felt wonderful under foot, it wa so soft but crumbly. We had races through the tracks what the(whatever they use) left. Got some beautiful pictures.

We also went on another beach think it was ouen or something like that, quite a steep walk down from a carpark, but well worth it once on the beach.

Jerseybaby, thanks for your info as well, i will trawl through the pages again to see if anything new comes up

UK
Level Contributor
23 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Jersey in may /camping???

Thanks Jerseybaby for re-posting the attractions info. Very useful.

Ok, for Yorkshirelass..... if you book baggage now online, it's £14 per bag return as opposed to £24 if you wait until you get to the airport.

Go to bmibaby.com. From the main screen, click on "Flights". On the flight selection screen, hover the cursor over the "Your Bookings" tab and select the bottom option "change your booking". You then need to input your booking ref (off the bit of paper that you are taking to the airport - the one that confirms your flight details), your departure date and email address. On the next screen you select "add baggage". And then input how many bags against the passenger list shown. Remember, this is HOLD luggage not hand luggage. It then prompts you for an extra cash payment since I assume you paid for flights when you made the booking.

Might be an idea to print the confirmation screen that says you have paid for that baggage.

Cameras are allowed on board. I always snap off a couple of pictures. I think it's camcorders that you are not supposed to switch on. And certainly not cameras that are embedded within mobile phones. Phones still a no-no.

Asthma inhalers have got to be ok. My son carried his onboard. I didn't even think to consider if it was ok.

Ian.

yorkshire lass
Level Contributor
120 posts
Save Reply
18. Re: Jersey in may /camping???

Hey Ian,

Thanks for that, i will add the baggage tomorrow cheaper than doing it at the airport.

Glad you described in detail what to do, does this count as ammending your booking and will they charge a fee for this as well or just a fee for the hold luggage. There is so much to think of, trip advisor and you of course have been a godsend.

Have you got any other holidays booked for this year, we are going in August to spain, portsmouth to bilbao then a drive of approx 5-6 hours to where we are staying. That is going to be a big adventure and i keep looking on here for advice, i just cant wait to get to jersey and then it will be panic stations for the big holiday.

Also got a weekend booked in october, us and quite a few friends going to butlins at skeggy for the 80's madness weekend which should be fun, dont think i'll need any help on getting to skeggy lol.

Thanks again, hope you are having a nice weeekend, hasnt the weather been lovely yesterday and today.

jayne

UK
Level Contributor
23 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: Jersey in may /camping???

Hi Jayne, I think they just charge you for the bag. I added one to my booking the other day and they just prompted me to pay the £14 extra. I think they only hit you with admin fees if you need to change the booking in a way that cannot be done online. Like, changing the name of a traveller.

Yes, the weather has been great this weekend. We went down to Cambridge yesterday for the day. We parked up in Grantchester which is where Jeffrey Archer lives. Lovely place he has got too although he does have several really naff sculptures in his garden that look very out of place. We had refreshments in the Orchard tea rooms there - sat in the sun, very recommended, very 1920's English feel to the place. It has historical connections with the writers EM Forster, Virginia Wolfe and Rupert Brooke. And then walked along the river to Cambridge, about two miles. Lots of punts on the river, must try that sometime. The town was crowded. Enjoyed it though. Some beautiful buildings. All those colleges. Saw Professor Stephen Hawking in the town being pushed along in his wheelchair with a big retinue of carers in his wake.

That is a LONG ferry journey you have down to Bilbao. If I were you, I'd send kids and husband off with the car and fly down to join them! You can't beat going as far south as you can. It's the only way to guarantee the sun. Last summer we did Keycamp and went to Biarritz. We drove down via Calais. We had a couple of nights on a Keycamp site in the Loire both going and on the way back. And also a night each way in the Travelodge at Ashford, Kent. It was good breaking the journey up in this way and we had three weeks away so we still had 15 nights on the site down south. I got my parents penny flights with Ryanair and they flew down to be with us for three nights. Even after adding airport fees and taxes, it was still only £25 return each for them. Weather in Biarritz was 100% sunshine every day. As soon as we got back up to the Loire, it was only so-so.

This year we are still doing Keycamp but this time we are only going as far south as The Vendee. Which is about half way down on the same West coast. My partner could only get two weeks off so we had to compromise. Brittany looked good but not far south enough. So we have two nights each way on sites not far from Calais. And then 10 nights at a site on the coast. Are you taking your own camping equipment or have you got something booked in spain?

Ian.

yorkshire lass
Level Contributor
120 posts
Save Reply
20. Re: Jersey in may /camping???

Hi,

Cambridge sounds lovely, weather is back to normal now.

Yes it is a long journey but all part of the fun (hopefully). We have booked to stay at vilanova camp and judging by the feedback on here it sounds and looks lovely. Youngest son mad on football so want s to do the all Barcelona thing.

We booked with europarcs another reccommendation from somebody on here and honestly they have been so helpful and lots lots cheaper than siblu who we went with last year.we have got a caravan booked with them on the site, air con, decking ect so should be good.

We did the portsmouth to st malo last year and drove down to the vendee (st jean de monts) we stayed at le bois masson. It was areally nice place, had a couple of bad weather days but still nice. We had a week in weymouth staying in a van at weymouth bay(fabulous site) and had red hot sun every day, we drove onto portsmouth then did 2 weeks in france, there was me and hubby and 3 kids then so it got a bit mad at times. This year our 2 eledest are staying at home,1 is working and other just left school so i will have panic attacks wondering whats going off at home.

Where abouts are you going in the vendee?? Its alovely place, loads to see and do if you prepared to drive a little. I put a stone on in weight with all there lovely food--i tried horse/ shark/ mussels (not all at the same time) which i hated and lots & lots of the local wine lol.

Not long for jersey now, we are counting the days down, going to add the bags now after i've paid a bus lane contravention (arghhh)

Have a good day

Jayne

Get answers to your questions about Jersey
Recent Conversations