We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Short break itinerary

Somerset UK
Destination Expert
for Devon
Level Contributor
1,053 posts
201 reviews
Save Topic
Short break itinerary

We're coming to Jersey in the middle of May for a weekend (arriving Thursday night) and would welcome thoughts on the following itinerary please.

Friday 1000-1300 - Guided walk around St. Helier

Friday 1430-1700 - Guided walk around Gorey

Friday evening - Dinner in Gorey

Saturday 1000-1300 - Guided visit to Corbiere Lt/Ho

Saturday 1400-1700 - Guided walk around bunkers near Les Landes

Saturday evening - Dinner somewhere near Les Landes or W coast somewhere.

Sunday - either the War Tunnels or Mount Orgueil or the zoo (or a combination of any of these) bearing in mind we need to be at the airport about 4 o'clock.

Obviously the weather will be a factor but is this feasible and can it be done without bothering to hire a car?

Many thanks

Jersey
Destination Expert
for Jersey
Level Contributor
2,143 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Short break itinerary

That sounds like a great Itinerary! I would hire a car if I were you. Your weekend looks pretty packed and having it will ease the rush for buses to get from one thing to the next and allow you to see even more. (for example between your walk in St Helier and the one in Gorey you could stop for quick lunch or a coffee somewhere out on the east or northeast coast which the bus times and routes wouldn't allow)

Also you don't say where you're staying but if it's St Helier then taxis back of an evening could easily cost you almost as much as the car would!

On the last day I would get up early, pack the car and get to the Zoo for opening time. Spend a couple of hours enjoying the animals and the fantastic landscaped grounds before heading for lunch somewhere between Trinity and St Lawrence (maybe one of my fellow contributors can make a suggestion?) and aim to be at the War Tunnels for about 1pm-1.30pm to allow you a couple of hours. The drive from the war tunnels to the airport is no more than 15 minutes. I've left out Mont Orgueil as (IMO) castles can be found all over the place, but the War Tunnels & Durrell are only here! :)

Somerset UK
Destination Expert
for Devon
Level Contributor
1,053 posts
201 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Short break itinerary

Thanks Bectoria - glad you think it's a good itinerary. We'll be staying in St. Helier.

I see you work in a pub so I expect you'll have first hand knowledge - on our first night which would you recommend for food (in St Helier).

Also what are the smoking laws in Jersey - are they the same as mainland UK?

Jersey
Destination Expert
for Jersey
Level Contributor
2,143 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Short break itinerary

Sadly we're not spoiled for choice with good 'pub grub' in St Helier, especially for an evening meal - plenty of restaurants to suit all budgets and tastes but the better pubs in town tend to stick to lunches. If I were you I'd bus or drive to the Goose on the Green (about half way to St Aubins). They do great pub meals in the evening and are very popular with locals. You might have to book on 01534 888273. If it's a nice night I would bus there and walk back into town - a nice 30-40 minute stroll along the seafront.

The smoking laws here are just the same as in the rest of the UK, in fact we brought them in 6 months earlier. The difference here is that for much of the time the weather is more suited to outdoor smoking than it is everywhere else! :)

Somerset UK
Destination Expert
for Devon
Level Contributor
1,053 posts
201 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Short break itinerary

Thanks everyone for suggestions about car hire, parking, eateries and our itinerary.

We managed Friday as per plan with food in the Castle Green in Gorey to finish.

Saturday we went to the War Tunnels and rather than rush around the Zoo took a leisurely drive around the coast (clockwise) from Corbiere back to St Helier including a stop at Greve de Leq and a walk along St Catherines breakwater.

Sunday we took the guided walk to Corbiere Lighthouse, for those of you who haven't done I'd thoroughly recommend it as it's the only way you'll actually go into the lighthouse itself, followed by a stroll around St Aubin.

Thanks again everyone - we'll be back!

Jersey, United...
Level Contributor
1,155 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Short break itinerary

Delighted you had a great time - see you soon!!

6. Re: Short break itinerary

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 September 2009, 22:19
Get answers to your questions about Jersey
Recent Conversations