We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Car parks

Somerset UK
Destination Expert
for Devon
Level Contributor
1,035 posts
199 reviews
Save Topic
Car parks

Just arrived back from a really enjoyable trip to Jersey but have a minor moan about car parks.

Thanks to Rozel and others we knew about the paycard system but felt that in some places there should be more signs saying how many units were needed. For example we parked in a paycard zone in Gorey but there was nothing to say how many units were needed. We asked a local as to how much it was and he said don't bother they never check but we weren't prepared to run the risk so paid one unit per hour as we had in St Helier. We went into a shop where somebody was asking whether they sold the paycards and she said they only sold them singly as you only needed 1 for 3 hours.

Please don't get me wrong, I'm not complainng about the cost - it's very reasonable - but it could just be a bit clearer.

Jersey, United...
Level Contributor
1,155 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Car parks

Agreed! It can be hit and miss in the countryside area!!

Somerset UK
Destination Expert
for Devon
Level Contributor
1,035 posts
199 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Car parks

What happens if you make a mistake? If you're a tourist do the authorities get in touch with car hire companies and send a bill to your home address?

Jersey, United...
Level Contributor
1,155 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Car parks

I think they are quite vociferous - I'm not sure about Hire car firms, don't they have to confirm who is driving? Probably not :-(

Leeds, United...
Level Contributor
1,988 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Car parks

could you advise what all this means as we are flying in next week and pick up a hire car from the airport

What do we do about parking as we gpo around the island?

Somerset UK
Destination Expert
for Devon
Level Contributor
1,035 posts
199 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Car parks

Free car parking on the streets in the towns appeared pretty limited so you really need prepaid vouchers to use in car parks. Pick up a book of them from your car hire desk at the airport at £5.60 for a book of ten.

Each card will last for at least one hour and maybe more in outlying districts. I don't know where you'll be staying but we used the Esplanade car park in St Helier which charges from 0800 to 1700 Monday to Saturday - outside of those hours it's free.

Take a look at my query about all this earlier in the forum as there were helpful responses there.

Somerset UK
Destination Expert
for Devon
Level Contributor
1,035 posts
199 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Car parks

Matjak

You'll find my original question posted on March 25th entitled "Car parking at the Pomme d'Or".

Hope it's of some use and enjoy Jersey - we did.

Jersey, United...
Level Contributor
1,155 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Car parks

It all sounds more complicated than it is. It's a very easy system, just don't forget to put the cards on. Here's the official info:

Parking

Single yellow lines indicate that parking is prohibited and is liable to a fine.

Paycards are used to pay for parking throughout Jersey with the exception of the harbour, airport and waterfront car parks where a pay upon exit scheme is operated.

They have to be used:

MONDAY TO SATURDAY (INCLUSIVE)

08.00 to 17.00 hours*

(* Parking on Gorey Pier is charged until 22:00)

You must use them whenever you park ‘on-street’ in the RED and YELLOW zones and in all car parks where you see this sign:

The charge for parking ‘on-street’ is 1 unit per stay. You are allowed to stay 20 minutes in the YELLOW zone and 60 minutes in the RED zone.

In car parks the charge is variable - see the notice board at the entrance of each car park for details of the tariff. You can buy paycards wherever you see a sign similar to the one above displayed in shops, garages or from your hire-car company, car ferry or Jersey Tourism. They are available in three denominations - 1 unit, 2 units and 4 units. These are available as individual units or in books of ten. You must have paycards with you when you park so be prepared - buy some as soon as you can.

Paycards – Instructions for use

Upon arrival at the parking place:

Decide how long you intend to stay. Remember ‘on-street’ parking and some car parks are limited to short-stay.

Calculate the cost from the notice board (‘on-street’ parking is 1 unit per visit).

Scratch off five panels - DAY, DATE, MONTH, HOUR, MINUTES (to next five minutes) to show your time of arrival.

When using more than one single unit paycard, scratch off each one identically, ie: if staying three hours scratch off three cards.

Display the validated paycards by placing them face-up on the dashboard so that all the details on each card displayed can be clearly seen from outside the vehicle. You will also find full instructions on the reverse of each paycard.

Warning – Failure to display the correct value of a paycard properly validated may result in a penalty charge.

Somerset UK
Destination Expert
for Devon
Level Contributor
1,035 posts
199 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Car parks

Well done Jersey Baby. I'm sure this will be a big help to others hiring/or driving their own cars in Jersey.

Do they have the same scheme in Guernsey?

Jersey, United...
Level Contributor
474 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Car parks

Just a quick point, I've heard people here and on the island mention "they never check" with regard to parking cards, but I can say they most certainly do!

While on hols last week we saw several cars with penalty notices affixed to them. Maybe the authorities are clamping down a bit more now?

Either way, better to be safe than sorry and all that?!

Jersey, United...
Level Contributor
1,155 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Car parks

Aagh by crie!! Walt - I don't go to Guernsey me - I'm a bean!! :-)