We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Visiting Jersey with Elderly In Laws

Crawley
Level Contributor
62 posts
26 reviews
Save Topic
Visiting Jersey with Elderly In Laws

Hi

I am after some advice please.

My brother in law, myself and our partners are taking the in-laws to Jersey for the weekend Friday 26th to Monday 29th September.

It is an 80th birthday present for Father in Law and we would like to take him on the German Occupation Tour or Trail.

Both in-laws are reasonably active for their age and have good mobility, however, they are 78/80 so there are certain limits certainly, nothing too strenuous although walking on the flat, slight incline is OK.

We are on the midday flight on Friday and the late afternoon one on Monday.

We have nothing else planned or booked.

Therefore I am after various ideas about occupation trips, do I book an organised one, is there more than one that covers the different sites. Or is it better to try to arrange something ourselves.

Budget isn't limitless but we would like a reasonable hotel. Is it better just to book B & B then eat out in the evening or book BB&EM, as we would like to go for a good meal one evening at least.

Where would be a good place to go for the celebratory meal, there would be a need for it to be convenient to the Hotel, ideally short walking distance.

As there are six of us would it be better to hire a car/van or use public transport.

I appreciate this request is not too specific but feel free to offer a suggested itinerary, brother in law and I enjoy certain off the wall things and none of us have visited Jersey before, and we can always let the in-laws look at the sea while we go and do our own thing.

Thanks for any assistance.

regards

David

Crawley
Level Contributor
62 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Visiting Jersey with Elderly In Laws

Thanks Bectoria

See the group of us spending some time chilling outside of the Cork and Bottle.

Regards

David

Essex, UK
Level Contributor
161 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Visiting Jersey with Elderly In Laws

Hi there, we just got back today having been joined for part of our trip to Jersey by my dad who is a slightly wobbly 77. He managed several excursions -- even the castle, but I wouldn't necessarily recommend that one for the elderly or infirm.

I think the war tunnels were great for him, although all the older members of our party really felt the cold and I'd put my kids in fleeces before we went in. Dad also joined us at Durrell (the zoo) and found it manageable -- not too steep or too big. Also, when he started flagging, they went off to listen to a talk which provided a welcome sit down!

Crawley
Level Contributor
62 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Visiting Jersey with Elderly In Laws

Thanks Mummyc

To describe Mother in Law as slightly wobbly may be an exaggeration but she is getting that way so to your experiences are invaluable.

We are going to do the Castle but I wasn't planning on doing another "walking" tour that day.

Useful information about the War Tunnels I will remind everyone to pack their coats for this trip.

Regards

David

Essex, UK
Level Contributor
161 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Visiting Jersey with Elderly In Laws

Hi David

After the castle we went for lunch at the Jersey Pottery which is quite close (but not comfortable walking distance for older people who have just done the castle tour, despite what the woman in the castle cafe might tell you!!!)The food there was very nice and seven of us ate meals of varying sizes for around £55 which I thought was good value.

After lunch, my dad and his partner caught the bus back to their hotel in St Helier, where dad apparantly slept for 3 hours!! All those steps and sea air really take their toll!

Jersey, Channel...
Destination Expert
for Jersey, St Helier
Level Contributor
1,029 posts
663 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Visiting Jersey with Elderly In Laws

You have probably done the best thing booking the Pomme D'Or as it is central, well run, serves an excellent breakfast and has recently been upgraded so it is a very pleasant environment. I would recommend having a hire car (get your excess reduced to zero if you can as little scrapes and damaged wing mirrors are a pain on the narrow roads) to visit Jersey as the buses are limiting even though you are staying in St. Helier. By car you can visit the whole island and it is a very pleasant day trip doing a whole island drive and stopping off at some of the great beaches and you can drive right up to the remains of the big guns and bunkers near Portelet. Even if you get lost it is fun exploring the narrow lanes and you always come out on a main road somewhere. Avoid the organised tours as they are very expensive for what you get, particularly if there are 6 of you. War Tunnels is a must and by staying at the Pomme D'Or you are in the hotel which is central to the Liberation of the island. There are lots of outside bars now around the newly opened Weighbridge area next to the Pomme D'Or and the Royal Yacht is great for an al fresco drink or two! I would plump for the Roseville Bistro if you want a very good but not over the top dinner pricewise. It is homely, not grand, with friendly service. It is well regarded by local residents and is nowhere near as expensive as Cappannina which I personally think is over-rated. Parking is difficult so I would just hop into a taxi, there are lots near the Pomme D'Or and it will probably only cost just over £6 each way as it is a short distance but too far to walk, particularly if it is raining. The Jersey Museum, with lots on the Occupation is also situated near your hotel at the Weighbridge. If you want a traditional Sunday Lunch, but you may not be too hungry after your big breakfast at the Pomme D'Or, I would strongly recommend 'Chateau La Chaire' in Rozel. They charge £16.95p for an excellent four course Sunday lunch and the panelled dining room is very traditional or you can request the Conservatory. It is the sort of experience your parents in law would really enjoy with drinks beforehand in the lovely bar or main sitting room - if it is a hot day you can have a drink on the newly opened Terrace. There are not too many off the wall activities in Jersey and the season will be coming to an end when you are here but there may still be jet skiing at St. Aubin. It is possible to take a day trip to St. Malo and you may get some good prices at the end of September for foot passengers - don't forget your passports. There is a booking agent not far from the hotel or you can contact Condor Ferries direct. Other places to stop for a pleasant drink or light lunch are 'The Boat House' at St. Aubin, they do a good Moules and Frites cheaply whilst sat on their Terrace. I would visit 'The Somerville' for a drink either in the bar or on their Terrace as the views are fabulous looking over St. Aubin. It is a steep drive up the hill to the hotel and parking can be tight. An hour or so strolling around St. Brelade is a must, it is a beautiful beach, has a lovely Church with Fisherman's Chapel overlooking the bay and is a short stroll to the Oyster Box or the Terrace at the L'Horizon Hotel where you can again have a light lunch or just a drink. If there is any other information that would be helpful, please get in touch.

Jersey
Destination Expert
for Jersey
Level Contributor
2,099 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Visiting Jersey with Elderly In Laws

In response to Bob, Excellent post but I feel I have to disagree with you on 2 points!

Roseville Bistro is in comfortable walking distance from the Pomme D'or I think, no more than 10 minutes if you head through the tunnel (The tunnel is not the nicest place on the island to walk but it serves a purpose and the restaurant will make it worth while).

And.. "There are not too many off the wall activities in Jersey and the season will be coming to an end when you are here"

I beg to difer...

www.purejersey.com

:D

Jersey, Channel...
Destination Expert
for Jersey, St Helier
Level Contributor
1,029 posts
663 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Visiting Jersey with Elderly In Laws

Take back all I said about lack of 'off the wall' activities in late September, Pure Adventure does offer a range but I tend to think of many of their activities as being more for school or youth groups, rightly or wrongly!I still think for the sake of £6 approx each way ie £1 a person, a taxi to Roseville Bistro would be the best bet and more comfortable and relaxing as I wouldn't really recommend elderly people walking through the tunnel with the traffic and fumes, but that is just my preference.

Durham, United...
Level Contributor
86 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Visiting Jersey with Elderly In Laws

We have just recently come back from a stay in La Haule Manor. This is a really amazing bed and breakfast in St Aubins - just a 10 minute strole to St Aubins harbour where there are lots of lovely restaurants to choose from. It does have stairs however - but if fairly mobile - this place is really nice and they pay alot of attention to detail. For the Jersey War Tunnels - you need to make sure you wear warm clothes as it can get quite cold - but it is really interesting.

Crawley
Level Contributor
62 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: Visiting Jersey with Elderly In Laws

Hi

Thank you to Bob and Penelopeanne for there new posts and to bectoria for the further information.

I second bectoria's comment about Bob's excellent post and will take time to fully digest, I am going to take a print out of all recommendations with me.

Not sure what we will be doing Sunday Lunch as the Jersey Militia are at Elizabeth Castle and the In-laws would enjoy that. If there is time after we will try however, Sunday evenings might be better for Chateau La Chaire', although I do understand that we will have to forego the Sunday Lunch as recommended.

Not too sure I am that much of an adrenalin junky for the majority of the ideas on purejersey but if I get a chance Blo-karting is something I do fancy, perhaps I should of stated "off the wall activities for a fat (big boned please) 53 year old who thinks he's thirty something".

As we are only on jersey three days I can't see us getting over to st malo or indeed one of the other islands.

Thanks once again to everyone for their contributions.

Regards

David

Jersey
11 posts
Save Reply
20. Re: Visiting Jersey with Elderly In Laws

If your main purpose to visit is to discover the occupation then your first stop will be the War Tunnels, which are open everyday, then the Military Museum in St. Ouen, the museum is housed in a German bunker which once formed part of Hitler's Atlantic wall of defenses. Next, only open on Sundays is the Noirmont Command Bunker, its open from 11 until 4 and is run by volunteers so is only open once a week. You also want to get in touch with the CI Occupation Society maybe via www.ciosjersey.org.uk who also open a bunch of other bunkers all restored with talks and thenks at the weekends or Jersey Tourism at www.jersey.com will help you. If you have time you parents may also like the Pallot Steam Museum and the Gardens at Samares Manor. You will a car as apart from the key attractions the other bunkers are not on main bus routes.

Get answers to your questions about Jersey
Recent Conversations