We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best beach on the north coast

Essex, UK
Level Contributor
161 posts
76 reviews
Save Topic
Best beach on the north coast

Hello

we're heading to Jersey in less than two weeks and will be staying right in the middle of the north coast. Bonne Nuit doesn't really look like a swimming beach for the kids (aged 8 and 10) and a bit steep for the mother-in-law. Any suggestions of a good safe swimming/frolicking beach nearby, preferably with a loo! Greve de Lecq looks great on the map -- thoughts please.(We are bringing our car, and already have the tourist bus timetable just in case we don't fancy driving). We're all sooo excited about coming to your beautiful island!!

Jersey, United...
Level Contributor
1,155 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best beach on the north coast

We're very excited to have you!!

Greve De lecq is a great beach but DO NOT eat food on the beach. The seagulls are more cunning than any fox! There are nice loos and cafes dotted on the slipway.

Please also take care in the sea, Jersey has one of the atrongest tidal actions in the world and every year there are serious rescues as the sea can come in behind you ( not literally - forming a kind of C shape)

Your children are going to love Jersey!

Jersey, United...
Level Contributor
275 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Best beach on the north coast

Plemont is by far the best and prettiest beach on the north coast with loads of caves and rock pools to explore at low tide, however,not remotely user friendly for the less mobile or faint of heart as there are loads of steps to get down (and back up!), although, good cafe and loos at the top.

Rozel is also a good bet. A fair sized sandy beach, a few boats, loads of rock pools for shrimping etc and all the usual facilities - the Hungry Man cafe is a definite must.

Don't dismiss Bonne Nuit. It is a small beach but very pretty, adequate swimming for young children and usualy loads of ducks to amuse the youngsters. Also fab cafe and easy access loos.

Bouley Bay is my least fave - pebbles!

Essex, UK
Level Contributor
161 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best beach on the north coast

Jerseybaby and Rozel, thanks for your replies. Actually, I spent two very happy summers at the Beau Couperon when I was a kid and definitely plan to go back and see Rozel again. Would you suggest we drive to these beaches (parking issues?) or does the bus network get us close enough? I'd much prefer not having to drive but have to remember that my mum-in-law is very arthritic and the kids whinge at the end of a hot day on the beach...

Somerset UK
Destination Expert
for Devon
Level Contributor
1,047 posts
199 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best beach on the north coast

How right you are JB about the seagulls. We were walking along the beach at Greve de Lecq when a seagull swooped on the ice cream my wife was eating. It really gave her quite a fright and it seems such a lovely beach.

Jersey, United...
Level Contributor
275 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Best beach on the north coast

Bearing in mind that you have children and m-i-l, I would drive. If you get anywhere early enough (10.30ish), you shouldn't have a problem parking and then you can dump your sandy things in the back of the car at the end of the day.

The buses are good and there are routes to most of the N coast beaches, however,they run back to St Helier and might not be convenient to your hotel.

Jersey
5 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Best beach on the north coast

Hi MC

Plemont Bay is fab ... caves to explore, lovely golden sand, good cafe ... however unfortunately the price to pay for all that is about 100 steep steps, not so bad going down but the uphill is always a struggle! Team that with an arthritic mother in law - Not a great combo :O)

Bonne Nuit is very small but good fun for a few hours. (Parking down there is terrible after 10am) It has some great rock pools and the pier incase your boys want to try their hand at a spot of 'pier jumping' with the locals.

Greve D'Lecq is a great beach, but I agree with Jersey Baby on the seagull issue ...

Also everywhere in Jersey is pretty much nearby! I reccommend a trip to St Ouens Bay, its a must see really!

St. Brelades Bay is a good beach for swimming on although it is very touristy & does get busy. I would reccommend its neighbouring bay called Ouaisne (pronounced Waynay) the beach is great, parking is pretty good & it wont be as busy.

Hope this helps!!

Essex, UK
Level Contributor
161 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best beach on the north coast

Wow. Thanks for all the great tips. I think I'll actively discourage the pier jumping though, as my two aren't hugely competent swimmers and have only ever waded about in the sea. Also, Boy Two has x-rays in casualty departments all over the country, so we won't tempt fate. We'll definitely check out the beach with the steep steps, but mum in law can stay at the hotel with her puzzle book that morning! A week tomorrow and we'll be heading for the ferry --I can hardly stand the exitement!!!!

Jersey, United...
Level Contributor
1,155 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Best beach on the north coast

Do discourage pier jumping if the children aren't competent swimmers. Be very carfeull with the tidal action in Jersey

Jersey, United...
Level Contributor
474 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Best beach on the north coast

Hello there, I've nothing more to add really, so I'll just agree with the others!

Plemont is a great spot, but as mentioned, the steps are pretty awful and would be too much for an arthritis sufferer. However, the cafe is at the top of the steps, so maybe the mother in law would be happier there than back at the hotel? It has views to the beach below, so she may be able to watch the kids on the beach while enjoying her puzzles with a cake and cuppa!

Greve de Lecq is great too, though the birds can be a bit of a nuisance sometimes. They're not quite Alfred Hitchcock standards though! There's a nice cafe (Colleens I think?) to eat in if you don't feel comfortable eating on the beach.

St Ouens is an awesome beach too, and quite different to the other two I've mentioned, purely on scale. The size of it means that there's plenty of space for the kids to run around like mad, or play footy or frisbee, without disturbing anyone. Certain parts of it can get quite busy with surfers, but a walk further along usually means you can have as much space as you like. Both the Watersplash and Big Verns can serve you well for grub, drinks, or ice creams.

I hope you have a great time :)

Essex, UK
Level Contributor
161 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Best beach on the north coast

What an ace time we've had. Greve de Lecq is heaven. Perfect sandy cove with clean loos, a nice eatery and hunky Australian life guards for the mother-in-law to oggle. Does life get any better?

Get answers to your questions about Jersey
Recent Conversations