We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

self-catering with children in jersey

Brighton,UK
12 posts
Save Topic
self-catering with children in jersey

I am coming to jersey very soon (06/01) on business and bringing husband and kids. We are staying in the North West of the island (Grosnez cottages) and will be eating in mostly. We both love to cook (especially seafood) and the kids love fish and chips - can you recommend anywhere to buy fresh fish and seafood (eg off the boat) and a good fish and chip shop? Also any nice/unusual foodie shops or delis or any good takeaways? (We have recently moved from Brighton to rural West Wales and the kids are quite keen for a week of takeaways!)

Thanks!

Jersey
Destination Expert
for Jersey
Level Contributor
2,099 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: self-catering with children in jersey

On an early Friday, Saturday and Sunday morning you can buy Fish 'straight from the boat' at St Helier harbour where there are 1 or 2 stalls set up. Otherwise the Fish Market in St Helier centre is superb, there's also a very nice deli in there. I *think* there is also a stall that sets up on the Jerseybowl car park early weekend mornings.

I am yet to find a good takeaway here unfortunately (but maybe someone that lives in that area of the Island can help) after being spoilt by them when I lived in Leeds.

Have a great stay!

Jersey, Channel...
Destination Expert
for Jersey, St Helier
Level Contributor
1,029 posts
663 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: self-catering with children in jersey

I would just go straight to the fish market in the centre of St Helier ss there are five suppliers there and they all have superb fish normally straight off the boat so you can stock up! Faulkners has the nmost delicious organic salmon but the local seafood is there in plenty. It depends what you want with take aways. Where you are situated is fairly remote from take aways but there are several Chinese in various parts of the island and a very good Thai takeaway in Columberie. One of the nearest fish and chip shops to you is probably in Gorey Village as they are somewhat rare here but personally, I would stock up on the king prawns, scallops, monk fish and other goodies from the fish market and cook your own!! Do go to one or two restaurants however. The Tempura Fish and Chips at the Castle Green Gastro Pub in Gorey is good and not too far to drive. Enjoy.

Jersey
Destination Expert
for Jersey
Level Contributor
2,099 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: self-catering with children in jersey

Regarding the above post... I was under the impression that Grosnez and Gorey were about as far apart as it is possible to get on this island?!

(Still a reasonably short distance to anyone coming from slightly more spacious areas of the world!)

Jersey, Channel...
Destination Expert
for Jersey, St Helier
Level Contributor
1,029 posts
663 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: self-catering with children in jersey

Nowhere is far in Jersey, it being only 9 miles by 5 miles unless you have never been off the island! One end to the other is like a short drive to work in most places, traffic into St. Helier allowing in the rush hour! Gorey fish and chips is worth driving the short distance for, at least in my opinion but I would still go for the fish market and stock up on goodies in preference!

Jersey
Destination Expert
for Jersey
Level Contributor
2,099 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: self-catering with children in jersey

I know that Bob, I do live here after all. I was referring to your saying that Gorey Village fish and chip shop may be the closest to the accommodation in Grosnez.

I sincerely doubt it, and yes although it is only a few miles away, it would take 20-30 minutes of 20-30mph country roads, which is further than most people (here or back in the UK) would drive for fish and chips.

Anyway....

Jersey, United...
Level Contributor
1,155 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: self-catering with children in jersey

A friend of mine popped round today and highly recommended the cafe at the Blue Soleil (?) campsite at St Ouen. She often eats our with her small children and said the food here has been really great since been taken over last year!

Jersey
4 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: self-catering with children in jersey

There is a mobile fresh fish stall which sets up in the carpark of Jersey Bowl, near the airport, and not far by car from Gronez.

I couldn't say for sure if they will be there this summer.

The main fish market, and near by central market, are definately worth a visit when you're in the town centre.

Bristol, United...
Level Contributor
36 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: self-catering with children in jersey

Hi

Just saw your post re Grosnez Cottages. I have been trying to find a website for these cottages, to no avail. Did you book direct or through one of the agencies: e.g. Freedom holidays. I am trying to find reasonably priced s/c accomm for May, for a family of four, but most places are very expensive.

Hope you had a good trip to Jersey

Jersey, United...
Level Contributor
1,155 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: self-catering with children in jersey

Jersey isn't the cheapest place to visit Rebecca but it is fantastic for children. Very safe, clean and lots to do both in attractions and parks and beaches. Very much a family place!

10. Re: self-catering with children in jersey

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 October 2009, 21:16
Get answers to your questions about Jersey
Recent Conversations