We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Parking the car in France while visiting Jersey

Denmark
1 post
1 review
Save Topic
Parking the car in France while visiting Jersey

Will it be safe to leave our car in a city in France (parking space?) while we travel by boat to Jersey?

We (a couple, 55 years) have not been to Jersey before. We will be driving from Denmark to France and want to spend some days at Jersey. I suppose it will be easy to rent a car at Jersey or go by bus while exploring the island?

Which boat company should we choose? We are planning on going in the middle of July 2009.

Any recommandations for a cosy hotel with atmosphere?

Thanks in advance for any ansvars/suggestions!

Jersey, United...
Level Contributor
1,155 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Parking the car in France while visiting Jersey

It may be beat to ask on a Franch forum about leaving your car. Some islanders have second homes in France and may be able to help?

Condor is the main ferry company, I would book early and get the best prices. It is fairly easy to bring your car across and by the time you have taken into account parking fees, hore car costs etc. you might find this a better option.

The Royal Yacht, the Pomme D'Or, SAS Radisson are all close to the harbour (SAS Radisson is the only one with parking) and would be a nice base, also near the bus station for a visit.

You will love Jersey it has a lot to see and do, and great food. Let us all know hoe you enjoyed your visit.

Jersey, Channel...
Destination Expert
for Jersey, St Helier
Level Contributor
1,104 posts
725 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Parking the car in France while visiting Jersey

I recommend that you contact the Jersey Tourist Office. There are foot passenger ferries that go from Carteret which is much smaller than St. Malo and therefore probably easier to leave your car but there are lots of parking spaces near the large Ferry Port in St. Malo if you are going that far across France. The tourist office should be able to give you the timetables for the summer. If you are going to go for the St. Malo crossing, it is worth going onto the Condor Ferries website as by the time you book your foot passenger tickets and hire a car in Jersey you may find that the cost is similar (once you have got premium car insurance to cover any small scratches from the country lanes - try to get 0 excess it is worth paying the extra) and it is far more convenient to have your own car with you! I would strongly advise having a car rather than relying on public transport in Jersey. Even in the summer buses are not that frequent or non existent to certain destinations within the island and your car will get you to all the little coves etc which are off the normal tourist routes. There are lots of hotels to choose from and if you go onto the hotels section of the Jersey Tripadvisor it will give you a good idea of standards and prices dependent on what your budget is and what type of accommodation you prefer. If you are looknig for a ost hotel with atmosphere I would consider 'Chateau La Chaire' which is a country house hotel, not over the top price wise, serves lovely food whilst sat on their terrace in the summer and is a stroll from the lovely Rozel Harbour. There is also a goodish pub in Rozel and a restaurant plus The Hungry Man which is a great place to grab a fresh crab sandwich for lunch whilst sat by the harbour. Hope everything goes to plan.

Jersey, Channel...
Destination Expert
for Jersey, St Helier
Level Contributor
1,104 posts
725 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Parking the car in France while visiting Jersey

Sorry, there was a typo on my post. It should read 'If you are looking for a cosy hotel with atmosphere, consider Chateau La Chaire'. Bob

4. Re: Parking the car in France while visiting Jersey

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 October 2009, 13:17
Get answers to your questions about Jersey
Recent Conversations