We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

alcohol limit for driving and speed cameras

kent
Level Contributor
50 posts
Save Topic
alcohol limit for driving and speed cameras

Hello

Unfortunately, I don't drive and my husband likes a pint during the day when we are out and about. Could I just check that the alcohol limit for Jersey is the same as the UK?

I noticed the speed limit for Jersey is 40 mph. Are there loads of speed cameras like the UK?

Thank you

Dunfermline, United...
Level Contributor
13,068 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: alcohol limit for driving and speed cameras

I'm surprised in this day and age that anyone still thinks it is acceptable to drink and drive. Even if he only has one pint, if he's involved in an accident this will go against him in court.

Why risk it?

Kingston-upon-Hull...
Level Contributor
3,815 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: alcohol limit for driving and speed cameras

bbc.co.uk/jersey/…drink_driving_feature.shtml

www.cab.org.je/index.php…

says it all

ian480.

Jersey, Channel...
Destination Expert
for Jersey, St Helier
Level Contributor
996 posts
657 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: alcohol limit for driving and speed cameras

It is the same as the UK but my advice is don't even try to risk it. Not only do you have the States police but you have the Parish police. Road blocks are common and you could well come across several checks in one journey across the Island, particularly at night.

If you are caught over the limit your insurance is not valid and drink drivers frequently appear in the Island newspapers.

If you want to have a drink use the bus service or get a taxi, it is not worth risking it!

There aren't loads of speed cameras like the UK but the speed limit is strictly enforced and many of the roads are 30 mph or less.

Jersey, United...
Level Contributor
474 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: alcohol limit for driving and speed cameras

Bob is spot on.

The road checks are frequent, and I've been pulled over before myself. This was due to our car still having UK plates, and the police just checked that everything was in order, which it was!

Also, as Bob says, the maximum speed limit in Jersey is 40, that isn't island wide, far from it! Many areas have much lower limits.

If I remember correctly, there are only a couple of speed cameras in the island. The most moaned-about one being in the underpass, which catches a lot of people due to it being in a 30 zone.

Jersey
Destination Expert
for Jersey
Level Contributor
2,087 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: alcohol limit for driving and speed cameras

I got pulled over in St Peters Village driving at 27mph on what I (stupidly) assumed was a 30mph zone.

1 mph more and I'd have been prosecuted. Watch out for the Honorary Police!!

I occasionally have a bottle of lager or a glass of wine with lunch when I'm out and about but never more than one and only then if I'm eating a big meal too.

Jersey
Level Contributor
84 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: alcohol limit for driving and speed cameras

My husband was an honorary policeman, if you are caught over the alcohol limit you are hand cuffed and taken to the Police station. They will not worry if you are a local or not.

Best not drink and drive.

East Sussex, United...
Level Contributor
5,236 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: alcohol limit for driving and speed cameras

Seriously, cant he just forego his pint while out and about driving during the day? Its not that much of a hardship surely?

england
Level Contributor
5,438 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: alcohol limit for driving and speed cameras

whether or not there are speed cameras should not concern any motorist who doesn't break the limit. Dont drink until you get back to your hotel/B and B at night and dont speed. Then you have no worries

england
Level Contributor
5,438 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: alcohol limit for driving and speed cameras

just a thought, and not meant to offend in any way,

but you should really learn to drive for yourself.

If your husband likes a drink and is prone to speeding he is eventually going to lose his licence and then you, like several women I know, will be truly stuck.

10. Re: alcohol limit for driving and speed cameras

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 February 2010, 07:18
Get answers to your questions about Jersey
Recent Conversations