We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Corbiere Phar(c)e

Jersey, United...
Level Contributor
24 posts
103 reviews
Save Topic
Corbiere Phar(c)e

We ate in the bar area today. Honestly, the worst service I have ever experienced in Jersey. One person in particular, a middle-aged man (possibly the manager?) was utterly, utterly rude without any reason. There was a really gruff attitude when my wife was placing the order at the same time as another couple sharing our table. The drinks were wrong but nothing was said by my wife for fear of having her head bitten off.

The other couple's food came out fairly quickly but we still had nothing after half an hour (we had only ordered sandwiches). My wife went to check they hadn't forgotten and was abruptly told 'it'll come when it's ready'. Right-ho....

Food comes out soon after (probably indeed forgotten on the pass). It is literally slammed on the table; 'that ones chicken, you can tell what the rest is...'. He turns his back and goes to walk off.

My wife says to him that we need cutlery for our salad. 'It's by the bar; you should have got some [sic] when you ordered'. So I go to get some myself, letting him know what I think about his attitude as I go along.

Seriously, you couldn't write this stuff. Shame, as the food was alright and the other staff seemed nice enough. Needless to say, we won't be going back again; I suggest you don't either.

Great Falls, Montana
Level Contributor
190 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Corbiere Phar(c)e

We ate at the same place last September and also were less than impressed.

Nothing major happened (like your experience) but the attitude seemed to be 'if you don't like our service go elsewhere'.

Problem is, the next closest place is a two km bike ride away.

This attitude seems to crop up any time a single pub/restaurant is the only game in the vicinity: "Don't like it? Tough!"

Other than that, I hope you had a great time on the island. It really is a fun place to holiday.

Darks

Jersey, United...
Level Contributor
24 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Corbiere Phar(c)e

In the interests of hearing both sides, this is the response I had to my email to the restaurant which was almost identical to my review above:

'Middle aged man is the owner you were lucky you got fed only one chef on duty and the owner prepared your food himself should have been his day off .been working 7 days a week since before xmas will miss you'

Excellent.

Incidentally, there is a great pub serving good food at La Pulente not too far away, and with a fantastic view of St Ouen's Bay. They are also friendly. I'm local so very disappointed to see people like this cause any sort of a bad impression of our Island - so many better places to go than there.

Jersey
Destination Expert
for Jersey
Level Contributor
2,163 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Corbiere Phar(c)e

Generally the same at their other place in St Ouens too (Big Verns).

The staff generally have a disinterested surely attitude that smacks of "we're busy anyway, we don't need to offer any kind of customer service".

I'm not sure about Corbiere Phare, but Big Verns is massively over priced too. In the region of £6-£7 for a crab sandwich?? I'd rather drive to the Hungry Man at Rozel for a much better one at half that - and a smile when they bring it over to boot.

There are far better places to eat in the area, including La Pulente as already mentioned.

Mentioned in this post
Rozel
Rozel
Jersey, UK
Jersey, United...
Level Contributor
1,155 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Corbiere Phar(c)e

It's a pity to hear this and Paul isn't as bad as he likes to make out. You should post a proper review under restaurants or where you hoping to have a bit of a chat on the forum?

Jersey, United...
Level Contributor
24 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Corbiere Phar(c)e

My proper review is already on the main site, along the lines of my post above. Of course it doesn’t contain the owner’s response which is rather the icing on the cake. I cannot begin to understand why someone’s own staffing issues should justify treating their customers like dirt.

I can appreciate sometimes that a grumpy character can be exactly that – a character – and even sometimes enjoy the surly attitude of a typical Parisian waiter or the overly-relaxed attitude of someone running a laid-back place who does not have time for rushed clients. Unfortunately there was nothing of that at all on this occasion, and certainly nothing enjoyable or pleasing about this person or the ‘service’ they provided.

I agree, particularly as a Jerseyman, that it is a great pity, but unfortunately the responses above and those of the many people I have told this story to suggest that our experience was not atypical. There was nothing in the slightest bit demanding or upsetting in our attitude, and yet the group of five of us on the day agreed that the service received in response was simply appalling. Plenty of people I know will not now go back to Corbiere Phare, though of course his response is to suggest that he couldn’t care less.

If the grumpiness is a deliberate act, then he may wish to think about changing the routine because it doesn’t seem to be entertaining anyone.

6. Re: Corbiere Phar(c)e

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 February 2012, 06:17
Get answers to your questions about Jersey