We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Jersey and Guernsey

cambridge
Level Contributor
19 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Jersey and Guernsey

Thinking about visiting the Channel Islands for the first time in June - considering 5 days in Jersey followed by 5 in Guernsey has anyone done a similar trip - no kids would like to explore the Islands but unsure of were to base ourselves, like nice hotels and restaurants.

Is June a good time to go?

Scunthorpe, United...
Level Contributor
3,583 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Jersey and Guernsey

June is a good time to go as you have long days, the weather should be good, all the flowers will be out and you should miss the high season.

The islands are small and all parts can easily be reached with a car. Choose based on accommodation.

Do visit Sark and if possible spend 1-2 nights there for a completely different experience.

derbyshire
Level Contributor
79 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Jersey and Guernsey

Hi

We did something very similar about 4 years ago.

We had been visiting Jersey for nearly 10 years and fancied trying Guernsey. We always holiday In June and have been mostly lucky with the weather. Nothing is too overcrowded at this time of year either.

We stayed 7 nights in Guernsey and 5 nights Jersey. Wouln't want to put you off visiting Guernsey but to be honest we found it too quiet and the pace was very slow compared to Jersey.

We stayed at Cobo Bay - the hotel was nice, but we like having a good choice of places to eat and we didn't find that on Guernsey.

We had a trip to the island of Herm which was the highlight of the week.

Over on Jersey, we have stayed in a number hotels, B&B's and self catering places in St Helier, St Brelades, St Aubin and Gorey over the years. We wouldn't personally choose to stay in St Helier again. The others all have a very good choice of accommodation and great places to eat as well as good child friendly beaches. If you like walking, exploring, great beaches and great food you will love Jersey. If you want to know any more info, let me know and I will be happy to help

Jonny

cambridge
Level Contributor
19 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Jersey and Guernsey

Thinking of the Atlandtic Hotel in St Brelades, looks exensive but lovely - seems quite close to the airport what do you think of the area as a base to explore the Island?

Thank you for the info

Jersey, Channel...
Destination Expert
for Jersey, St Helier
Level Contributor
1,048 posts
674 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Jersey and Guernsey

The Atlantic Hotel in St Brelade has an excellent reputation with great food and a spa. It has lovely views but you will need a hire car whilst staying in Jersey as the hotel is a little way out of St Brelade but very near the airport.

Personally, I would do six days in Jersey, three in Guernsey (I would also hire a car for the stay in Guernsey as the Island is small but you will want to tour all over it or get bored) and an overnight on Sark (no cars allowed and the sun would need to be shining!). Whilst staying in Guernsey you could possibly do a day trip to Herm.

The hire cars in Jersey and Guernsey which you can pick up from the airports (make sure you pay the extra for zero excess on the insurance) would allow you to visit the whole of each Island as in Jersey, buses are infrequent from the Atlantic Hotel area unless you get to Red Houses. There is lots to explore in Jersey but bus times do not necessarily fit in and you always have to go via St Helier to change buses which is a pain unless you use the Explorer bus.

Hope you enjoy!

cambridge
Level Contributor
19 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Jersey and Guernsey

Thanks for the tips, looking forward to the trip

Jersey
Destination Expert
for Jersey
Level Contributor
2,115 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Jersey and Guernsey

The Atlantic is an outstanding hotel, but get a car as it's a bit isolated.

If you're looking for a similar level of luxury in Guernsey try the Fermain Valley Hotel or The Farmhouse.

:)

cambridge
Level Contributor
19 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Jersey and Guernsey

I'd spotted them :) are they in good locations, we also like to try different places to eat other than the Hotel

Jersey
Destination Expert
for Jersey
Level Contributor
2,115 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Jersey and Guernsey

I'm not quite as familiar with Guernsey as with Jersey, but I would think a car would be helpful at both, especially for evenings out when the bus service might not be too frequent.

(The Farmhouse is one of my favourite hotels ever - I'll be very jealous if you pick it!)

cambridge
Level Contributor
19 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Jersey and Guernsey

Thanks, we are intenting to take our car over on the Ferry, The Farmhouse looks lovely but we also like to try different restaurants/pubs is the Farmhouse close to other establishments? although we have a car we wouldn't want to drink and drive

Guernsey, United...
Level Contributor
45 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Jersey and Guernsey

From Fermain Valley hotel there are at least four good restaurants within walking distance. The most notable - a few hundred yards down the hill from Fermain Valley is The Beach Cafe (you will need to book before you arrive as it is massively popular). Also within a reasonable walk are Bella Luce, Les Douvres and La Barbarie.

There are two restaurants within walking distance of The Farmhouse, The Pavillion at Bruce Russell and The Deerhound. The Fleur du Jardin is walkable but only if you are keen walkers.

Edited: 03 February 2011, 12:53
Get answers to your questions about Jersey
Recent Conversations