We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Why the large decline in tourism since the 1970s/80s?

london
2 posts
Save Topic
Why the large decline in tourism since the 1970s/80s?

Hello People

I see there has been many articles printed on the supposed decline in tourism to the channel islands in recent years but what is this primarily down to more people now choosing to go abroad for the weather or is it parks like Disneyland Paris now available nearby.

I can remember back in thhe 1980s you had fort regent up and running and cable cars working, there were lots of attractions available, bergerac was in its prime and there loads of flights available by many airlines to channel islands, there were big car ferrys carrying many passengers (British channel island Ferries) .

I mean I know there are still car ferrys availabel by condor but they obviously dont carry as many passengers do they, I have also seen there is a big decline in hotels and self catering accomodation like the two big holiday villages that used to function that were owned by pontins. So what has happened or caused this decline does anynoe know the exact reason?

Thanks

Dunfermline, United...
Level Contributor
13,113 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Why the large decline in tourism since the 1970s/80s?

Brits go to Europe or farther afield for their holidays nowadays. Guaranteed sunshine, cheap food and drink and friendly natives.

Simple really. And sad.

Jersey, United...
Level Contributor
1,155 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Why the large decline in tourism since the 1970s/80s?

Jersey borders the most expensive stretch of water in the world - the English Channel. It will never be a cheap holiday but it does have a lot to offer and is a short hop from the UK.

The previouds answer was correct, cheaper to get to Spain and more guaranteed sunshine. We have the pound, excellent food and a huge range of activities - a question of choice I suppose :-)

Ipswich, United...
Destination Expert
for Ipswich
Level Contributor
7,455 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Why the large decline in tourism since the 1970s/80s?

Cheaper flights to more far-flung and warmer places, and sometimes lower prices when they get there. Some English seaside resorts have lost many of their tradional sort of customers for the same reason.

London, United...
Level Contributor
8,324 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Why the large decline in tourism since the 1970s/80s?

Exactly. And have we mentioned pretty much guaranteed sunshine and high temps?

I'd love to visit the Channel Islands (never been) but it's actually easier to go to Spain or Greece, if nothing else so I don't have to worry about spending my much-awaited holiday in long sleeves, carrying an umbrella.

If the weather weren't an issue, I'd probably holiday in Cornwall more - just hop in the car and go.

Stirling, United...
Destination Expert
for Stirling
Level Contributor
13,869 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Why the large decline in tourism since the 1970s/80s?

Been a while since Bergerac was on the telly.

County Dublin...
Level Contributor
25,585 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Why the large decline in tourism since the 1970s/80s?

In the early 60's I used take the ferry from Weymouth.

London, UK
Level Contributor
7,040 posts
209 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Why the large decline in tourism since the 1970s/80s?

Until the 70's there were exchange controls which could limit the amount of curency that could be taken to continental European resorts.

Jersey, United...
Level Contributor
55 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Why the large decline in tourism since the 1970s/80s?

Jersey is now an expensive place to live. It has been spoiled by the building 'boom' and increase in traffic as our useless government has allowed finance to grow too big.

It's Ok for a short stay but for your 2 week summer holiday you are better off in places like Spain with guaranteed weather.

Jersey
Destination Expert
for Jersey
Level Contributor
2,095 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Why the large decline in tourism since the 1970s/80s?

I do wish that people who live here would stop being so damn negative on a forum that is designed to assist people planning to visit as tourists.

What happens when the finance bubble really bursts? All Jersey will have left it's Tourism and Agriculture. Let's not put all our eggs in one basket.

Tinsey - get over here, even if just for a long weekend where the weather doesn't matter so much. If you come in the shoulder months of April, May or October the weather can still be fab and the hotel and travel deals are much better than in high season.

Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
32,059 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Why the large decline in tourism since the 1970s/80s?

Two words - package tourism.

Get answers to your questions about Jersey