We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Restaurant prices and cost of living

Blackpool, United...
1 post
Save Topic
Restaurant prices and cost of living

We are a couple thinking of coming to Jersey in September, we are saving to get married next year and just want a four day trip. As we are on a budget we don't want to arrive and find that restaurants trips etc are out of our reach. Could you please advise as to the cost of living in comparison with the north of England? Many thanks and much appreciated

WREXHAM
Level Contributor
1,649 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Restaurant prices and cost of living

Your queries are rather difficult to answer. For one thing, there supposedly isn't any VAT on the Island - - BUT there is a considerable cost to import items from the mainland. Accommodation costs are high but then the standards are generally excellent, as is said, you get what you pay for. Many locations in Jersey are outstandingly beautiful, for many visitors, just one holiday and you are hooked. I now enjoy other Islands, ie Skiathos, Mallorca, Tenerife but for over thirty consecutive years, Jersey was the favourite choice. Still is, in many ways however, from a visitor's point of view, no, it is not a cheap destination.

Jersey, United...
Level Contributor
1,155 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Restaurant prices and cost of living

You will obviously choose your accommodation according to your budget. Foodwise expect to pay £10 head for pub food (drinks not included) and about £40 per head for a lovely 3 course meal in an upmarket restaurant. Sepetmber is generally lovely in Jersey and there are plenty of ways to economise. Buy a day bus ticket, take some rolls, ham and pickles and hop off at one of the great bays on the island - and adventure, lunch and an experience!

Jersey, United...
Level Contributor
474 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Restaurant prices and cost of living

Despite what is commonly reported, the cost of living isn't too bad here, at least not for a holidaymaker. It's day to day things like property and groceries that are expensive, as a holidaymaker I never really found Jersey expensive at all.

There's such a wide variety of places to eat here that I don't think anyone would find it out of their reach. The average standard of food here is a lot higher than most other places, so even a 'cheap' meal will likely still be decent. Most pubs and cafes serve really tasty food.

As has been mentioned, you can easily get a nice main course for £10ish, even at some of the more scenic places. You can of course spend a lot more, but my partner and I eat out a lot and we rarely spend more than £40 for a couple of courses and drinks. There are often offers on in September, it's worth looking out for set menu deals.

You might find that you don't go for dinner as often as you expect. There are loads of places to pick up snacks and small bites, and with many places serving big portions you might end up skipping a few meals. I had family over recently and after a decent breakfast they were often too stuffed for lunch, after a lunch they weren't ready for a big dinner! There's too many good cakes, sweets and other nibbles about :)

Let us know what sort of things you like and we can maybe advise you about some specific places, show you some links to menus, that sort of thing :)

In comparison with Blackpool, you'd probably be looking at somewhere like the Big Blue restarant for average comparable prices and quality.

Edited: 02 August 2011, 04:54
4. Re: Restaurant prices and cost of living

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 October 2012, 07:18
Get answers to your questions about Jersey
Recent Conversations