We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

jersey pottery and Fort regent

London, United...
Level Contributor
23 posts
Save Topic
jersey pottery and Fort regent

I read an article that the jersey pottery site is moving its goods out of the island does this mean that another attraction is about to close down? Also what is latest on situation of fort regent have states announced what they intend to do with it like make it an all weather attraction again and bring cable cars back?

Thanks

Jersey, Channel...
Destination Expert
for Jersey, St Helier
Level Contributor
1,143 posts
777 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: jersey pottery and Fort regent

Jersey Pottery has announced in the local paper that its current site in Gorey is being sold to Dandara for housing. The operations (presumably food and administration) of Jersey Pottery are being transferred to its other sites around the Island whilst the pottery will be made outside of Jersey. Yes, you are correct, another tourist attraction being lost.

With regard to Fort Regent, there is ongoing speculation but no concrete plans so it looks as though it will continue, at least for the time being as a semi empty venue with the occasional concert etc.

Mentioned in this post
Jersey
Jersey
Channel Islands, UK
Gorey
Gorey
Jersey, UK
Reading, United...
Level Contributor
69 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: jersey pottery and Fort regent

I saw the cable cars on an episode of Bergerac recently. But I couldn't quite work out where they were. Where did they run from and to?

The views looked amazing. It would be nice if they brought them back!

Mentioned in this post
Bergerac
Bergerac
Dordogne, France
Exeter, United...
Level Contributor
606 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: jersey pottery and Fort regent

They used to run from Snow Hill car park .

There was a sort of landing station up above the car park and they went up to Fort Regent from there.

Take a look at this http://youtu.be/0pggDbIEQrw

Jersey, United...
Level Contributor
1,155 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: jersey pottery and Fort regent

Thanks Devoncats for that - so cool! A trip down memory lane!

Jersey, United...
Level Contributor
474 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: jersey pottery and Fort regent

Yeah, great vid, thanks for that!

I especially liked the view at the end. If I was sitting then where I am now... I'd be wet :)

Devoncatswhiskers, you're not Whiskers103 on Youtube are you?

Exeter, United...
Level Contributor
606 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: jersey pottery and Fort regent

Glad you enjoyed it - nothing like a bit of nostalgia !

Yes ninebyfive - Its amazing to see the huge difference between the waterfront area then and now . We also noticed the buses parked up at the old Wadebridge bus station .

I remember it very well , how it all used to be, never actually went on the cable cars though.

And no, that's another Whiskers on Youtube!

Jersey, United...
Level Contributor
474 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: jersey pottery and Fort regent

Ah, right, I did wonder - especially as Whiskers103 isn't very positive! "if only we knew what a mess Jersey would end up in..." I think some Jersey folk need to realise how lovely this island is in comparison with elsewhere! :)

I think I had a trip on the cable cars 25 years or so ago. Feel old now!

Mentioned in this post
Jersey
Jersey
Channel Islands, UK
Durham, United...
Level Contributor
86 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: jersey pottery and Fort regent

Had a quick look at the video clip. Does bring back memories of Fort Regent when it was the main area for leisure. If I remember rightly there was a large play ground with an enclosed snake slide. botanical type gardens with peacocks and not to forget the go-skating (Jersey far ahead of its time with in-line skates) very challenging when wearing flares at the time. Also the Fire House disco (under 18s one of course). Also the two swimming pools. Lots of kids spent many a day at Fort Regent

Mentioned in this post
Jersey
Jersey
Channel Islands, UK
Reading, United...
Level Contributor
69 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: jersey pottery and Fort regent

Thank you SO much for posting that link - I can see just where it was now.

What a different place the waterfront area is now. It is really hard to believe.

10. Re: jersey pottery and Fort regent

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 October 2012, 14:17
Get answers to your questions about Jersey