We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sat Nav

kent
Level Contributor
50 posts
Save Topic
Sat Nav

Hi

Was thinking about packing our Sat Nav when we visit Jersey next month for our hire car

Sensible idea or not?

Thanks

UK
Level Contributor
49,561 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sat Nav

Why would It not be sensible? I really can't think of any downsides.

england
Level Contributor
5,438 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sat Nav

Cant see that you will need it, you cant get lost on Jersey, its not big enough, but if you've got room in your bags, why not.

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
1,754 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sat Nav

You will need to check, but it’s likely your Sat/Nav GPS may not cover the Channel Islands, as they are not part of the UK.

Exeter, United...
Level Contributor
603 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sat Nav

Im my experience Sat Navs are'nt great in rural area's and Jersey is very rural in most parts! A Sat Nav will have difficulty in recognising the Green Lanes , used for cycling and walking and very narrow not suitable for cars. Also be careful it doesn't try and send you down one of the many tracks across fields and tiny lanes suited only to tractors. My advice would be to get a map , always supplied in Hire Cars, and from the Jersey Tourist Information, then plan your trip by map and use the Sat Nav as backup.

Jersey, Channel...
Destination Expert
for Jersey, St Helier
Level Contributor
966 posts
637 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Sat Nav

I would pack it if I was you. It could be very useful if you get coverage for getting to your hotel or finding the various places you want to get to. Island coverage is quite good with some systems. Mine works fine but doesn't have full coverage for some of the new roads but in general terms it gives you the road layout including Green Lanes.

I invariably come across tourists stopped at junctions studying their maps and wondering which way to go. Admittedly, it is very difficult to get lost in Jersey but if your SatNav does cover the Island it makes it fairly stress free. Just make sure you have a good map as well.

Jersey, United...
Level Contributor
474 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Sat Nav

I'd pack it. Just check first if it covers Jersey, or if you may need an update.

I used to use my Phone's Sat Nav when we first came here, and still use it from time to time. You're never going to get 'lost' in the traditional sense, but you'll likely have a few wrong turns. Even when reading a map, Jersey's small scale means you'll still get caught out sometimes. Maps here are almost 1:1 ;)

If it saves you a bit of time, and means you can spend more time at wherever you're trying to go, why not?

kent
Level Contributor
50 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Sat Nav

Thank you for your advice

Will take it but use as a back up

And not use any shortest routes!

UK
Destination Expert
for Florida
Level Contributor
45,825 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Sat Nav

I can think of a downside- timing. Jersey is small, and turnings come up fast.

By the time you have listened to the instructions, you will be past your turning I assure you lol.

Could come in handy with the DT one way system as it is harder to get round St Helier by car than when I lived there last.

Jersey, United...
Level Contributor
474 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Sat Nav

If it's difficult with a Sat Nav, it'll be even more difficult with a map! :)

I've used a Sat Nav in Jersey on many occasions, the instructions have always come in plenty of time for the turning. No problems at all.

Jersey, Channel...
Destination Expert
for Jersey, St Helier
Level Contributor
966 posts
637 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Sat Nav

I agree with the last comment!