We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First visit....need advice

Northern Ireland
Level Contributor
400 posts
29 reviews
Save Topic
First visit....need advice

Hi. I am hoping to visit Jersey the first week in September for 3 night. Its my first visit and will be travelling with my mum, sister and blind elderly uncle.

I would really appreciate some advice on where to stay thats not too far from the airport, a 4 star hotel would be ideal, would like to be able to walk to restaurants, shops, beach etc.

Bedfordshire
Level Contributor
1,722 posts
216 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: First visit....need advice

La Haule Manor, St Aubins is la nice hotel on the sea front. St Aubins is a wide sandy bay with a great beach but the seafront is very flat so very good for walking. Its got a pretty little harbour with lots of lovely restaurants and a great bus service into St Helier for the shops. Summerville hotel is also very nice but its on a steep hill and might not be suitable for elderly guests.

St Brelade is also a nice place to stay. Golden Sands and The Horizon hotel are on this beach.

Jersey
Destination Expert
for Jersey
Level Contributor
2,146 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: First visit....need advice

Hi Laura.

If you want to be in walking distance of most things, but without being right in the centre of town, then look at the Radisson Waterfront Hotel. It is fairly new and thus is built with disabilities in mind - something that does not apply to a lot of the older buildings; I can't imagine that odd stairs, odd corners and pitched ceilings would be ideal for your Uncle to get around safely? Apologies if I'm wrong!

You're in walking distance to shops, restaurants, the beach and good bus links to the rest of the Island. St Helier, whilst not the prettiest place, is a good base for a first trip - especially a short one. If you would prefer somewhere more picturesque then look at Golden Sands or L'Horizon in St Brelades Bay. Great hotels right on the beach, but less in the way of shops etc in walking distance.

You don't mention if you're hiring a car - that would make a difference. Much easier to stay out of town and still get around if you are.

Hope this helps!

Bex

Jersey
Destination Expert
for Jersey
Level Contributor
2,146 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: First visit....need advice

Ps.. Nowhere is far from the airport! Even the furthest hotel away wouldn't be much more than half an hour. St Brelades Bay is 5 minutes drive, St Helier is 15-20 unless there's traffic.

Northern Ireland
Level Contributor
400 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: First visit....need advice

Thats all wonderful advice - I was just looking at the Radisson so I'm glad you mentioned it. I can definitely hire a car as I don't mind driving. I will look into that too. Thanks for replying.

We have direct flights from Belfast until the end of September, so we're looking at the first week, for 4 nights.

Laura

Ipswich, United...
Destination Expert
for Malta
Level Contributor
4,996 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: First visit....need advice

A hire car would propably be useful in your situation but be aware of the parking issues - parking scratch cards are required in some locations, particularly in St. Helier and at Gorey Pier.

Spaces can also be at a premium at some popular spots, though the main attractions have ample car parks.

Not sure if your uncle would qualify for a blue badge? There's information regarding parking and help for disabled/visually impared on the Jersey.com website

Not all hotels have car parks and some charge, so consider that when booking rooms or /renting a car

UK
Destination Expert
for Florida
Level Contributor
48,773 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: First visit....need advice

If you rent from Europcar at the harbour, I think you can park in their lot for Free if the Radisson charges- that is what they told us last time we rented from that location.

I didn't, as my husband has a parking space in town that I use when I rent a car.

Jersey
Destination Expert
for Jersey
Level Contributor
2,146 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: First visit....need advice

For reference, The Radisson don't charge for their own car park. In fact I only know of one property in Jersey that does and it's a self-catering place.

Chester, United...
Level Contributor
2 posts
591 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: First visit....need advice

La Haule Manor is fantastic, they have rooms on the ground floor and it is ideally located for all the bars and restaurants of St Aubins. It is directly across the road from the beach and has a lovely outdoor pool and hot tub with plenty of seating round the pool and on the patio. Hope you enjoy your holiday!

9. Re: First visit....need advice

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 June 2013, 04:15
Get answers to your questions about Jersey
Recent Conversations