We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

passports

Durham, United...
Level Contributor
2 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
passports

do we need a valid passport to travel to jersey from the UK.

Jersey, Channel...
Destination Expert
for Jersey, St Helier
Level Contributor
982 posts
641 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: passports

No, you do not need passports to visit Jersey from a UK destination but you will need photo ID for your transport, flights or ferry. You may well decide to visit France when you are in Jersey as it is a short hop over to St. Malo, you will then need your passports.

If you have passports it may well be worth bringing them to use as photo ID or as a backup.

Durham, United...
Level Contributor
2 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: passports

thank you ,let our passports expire and werent sure!

UK
Level Contributor
438 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: passports

I have often read this advice and while it is something I have never tried, wondered if anyone has in practice travelled without a passport and wondered about any reaction from border control staff etc.?

Edited: 27 March 2013, 16:26
Jersey, Channel...
Destination Expert
for Jersey, St Helier
Level Contributor
982 posts
641 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: passports

Jersey is UK domestic for air travel, not international. Therefore, all you need is photo ID. If you don't have a passport, you need a driving licence with a picture or something similar and 'official' with a recognisable photograph of yourself. You may not be able to travel to Jersey if you do not have photographic ID. As I said, the lure of St Malo in France for a day trip from Jersey makes a valid passport a good bet.

Jersey
Destination Expert
for Jersey
Level Contributor
2,077 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: passports

ontouruk - I never take my passport with me if I'm flying to the UK and back, just my driving licence. Absolutely no problem at all. Bear in mind that much of Europe have personal ID cards for free travel in the EU, so border control staff are accustomed to seeing 'non-passport' ID.

No ID is needed AT ALL for ferry travel to the Island, but personally I would be uncomfortable travelling away from home without any, just in case.

To answer the original question though, if the original posters passports have expired within the last 2 years they can still be used as valid ID to get to Jersey for *most* airlines. Worth checking in advance though!

As Bob has mentioned, if you have any desire to go to France whilst you're here, of course a passport is a necessity.

Southampton
Level Contributor
4,062 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: passports

I've been to Jersey and Guernsey with Blue Islands and Alderney with Auringy (spelling ?) using only my driving licence for ID. No passport, no problem. All since 2010.

7. Re: passports

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 March 2014, 05:16
Get answers to your questions about Jersey
Recent Conversations