We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which Pub should I Visit out of the list Given?

Chesterfield...
Level Contributor
35 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Which Pub should I Visit out of the list Given?

Hi, I am Visiting Jersey next month and have been looking around for a nice Pub Lunch when we arrive before we check in at our hotel. I have been to Jersey many times before but have not eaten outside the hotel for a few years. I have narrowed down the search and would like to go to either the St. Mary's Country Inn, which appealed to me as it looks a nice Country Pub. My next option is the Old Portlet Inn, this appealed to me as it is a stunning location with the beautiful sea next to the pub. My final Option is the Goose, this looks good as it's in a quite good central location.

Also when we arrive it is the Battle of Flowers Parade so will have to drive the other way around the Island, so maybe the Goose will not be a central location on that day. I just wondered out of these three Pubs, which is the best. I also forget to mention that I have also been thinking of the Old Smugglers Inn, as it looks Cheaper than the Other Places.

Thank You

Cornwall,UK
Destination Expert
for Cornwall, Isles of Scilly
Level Contributor
3,501 posts
334 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Which Pub should I Visit out of the list Given?

I have eaten last month at the Goose and the Old Smugglers and considered the Old Portelet. We chose Smugglers after being recommended on here before we went and it was very good and with the specials menu, remarkable value for money. Wouldn't hesitate to go there again, plus it was very busy on a Mon eve in June which was a good sign, and its right next to the coast.

The Goose, we used as it was near where we were staying and it was good enough and ok, but not as good as Smugglers. wouldn't rush back but if in the area its ok.

We had called in to the Old Portelet before going to Smugglers and it was dead so that tipped the balance in favour of Smugglers.

So that's just my opinion., if its any help.

Chesterfield...
Level Contributor
35 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Which Pub should I Visit out of the list Given?

Thank You for the Reply.

Having a Busy Thriving Pub like the Old Smugglers Inn as you mentioned really persuades you to visit. I think I will look more about the Old Smugglers Inn on the Internet.

Jersey, United...
Level Contributor
117 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Which Pub should I Visit out of the list Given?

Given that it's Battle day, I would rule out the Goose. You won't go wrong with either St Mary's or The Smugglers, but if it helps to sway you the Smugglers is right next to the beach for a pleasant stroll post lunch, and if it's your thing will have by far the better pint of real ale!

Chesterfield...
Level Contributor
35 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Which Pub should I Visit out of the list Given?

Thank You for the Reply, I've ruled the Goose as you said due to the Battle of Flowers, and am thinking of going to the Smugglers as it's got very good reviews and as you said it's right near the beach which is a huge plus for me.

Jersey, Channel...
Destination Expert
for Jersey, St Helier
Level Contributor
1,108 posts
746 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Which Pub should I Visit out of the list Given?

You are probably arriving this week and my vote would go for the Smugglers. There is also a large free car park opposite,

Jersey
Level Contributor
267 posts
261 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Which Pub should I Visit out of the list Given?

Have recently bed to both St Mary and Smugglers. For me St Mary just has the edge on food - had some great Thai modules there Wednesday night. Smugglers is better if you like real ale, although St Mary does stock 3 different ales for the Liberation brewery. Either of these options would be better than Goose on the Green, which I don't think is a good as it used to be.

Chesterfield...
Level Contributor
35 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Which Pub should I Visit out of the list Given?

Thank You for the Reply,

I have decided to go to St. Mary's as it is en- route and I love the Country Pub Feel. Next Time I'm in Jersey I'll have to try to visit the Smugglers.

Chesterfield...
Level Contributor
35 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Which Pub should I Visit out of the list Given?

Hi again, Just looked back at my old posts and realised that I've not given an update, We eventually went to St. Mary's as planned to and had a nice and decent meal which was the St Mary's Burger and Chips which was very nice. The only trouble was I was still suffering from unequal air pressure from the flight that day and all that day I could only hear at half capacity and got a horrible sound in my ear when ever I ate something. But apart from my own misfortunes it was a nice meal. Thanks to everyone who replied to my question and I hope you all had a great Christmas and have a happy new year.

Edited: 28 December 2014, 17:36
jersey
Level Contributor
160 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Which Pub should I Visit out of the list Given?

Best pubs in Jersey:

http://jersey.blogs.com/jersey_pubs/

10. Re: Which Pub should I Visit out of the list Given?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 January 2016, 05:16
Get answers to your questions about Jersey
Recent Conversations