We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Acton Bridge

bc, canada
Level Contributor
105 posts
77 reviews
Save Topic
Acton Bridge

I am looking for accommodation plus general information about Acton Bridge, Cheshire on TripAdvisor but I can't seem to find specific information.

Help.

North West England...
Level Contributor
1,810 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Acton Bridge

Hi,

You might find this site useful..

http://actonbridge.ivisitorguide.com/

Good luck!

Chester, United...
Level Contributor
2,700 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Acton Bridge

I'm not surprised you can't find much info - Acton Bridge is a small community of maybe 200 houses with a population of about 600 people. Not a tourist destination at all.

Nearby is the market town of Northwich. A fine town with the usual shops serving the local community. But again, not a tourist destination in itself. Although it does have some lovely black & white timbered building and a museum dedicated to the salt industry.

There might be the odd farm B&B near Acton Bridge but don't expect any hotels.

If you let us know what your are looking for we can maybe advise on accommodation with a 10-15 miles radius.

Edited: 16 October 2010, 09:47
UK
Destination Expert
for Chester
Level Contributor
3,557 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Acton Bridge

Try the Holly Bush www. thehollybush.net which is only about a mile away. Never stayed there myself being local but the restaurant is highly thought of by many in the area.

UK
Destination Expert
for Chester
Level Contributor
3,557 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Acton Bridge

Should have added that if you can tell us more about your interest in Acton Bridge we could help more. Are your ancestors from there? Are you planning a canal trip with Black Prince? If you just need accommodation in the general area then Frodsham as well as Northwich is a possibility not to mention farmhouse B&B or posher hotels easily reached along the A49

bc, canada
Level Contributor
105 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Acton Bridge

Yes we are planning a holiday with Black Prince Canal boats and we were thinking of taking the train from the Manchester airport to Acton Bridge a couple of days before departure on the boat. None of us are too keen on driving so wanted to use public transportation. I did check the Acton Bridge Visitor Guide for accommodation but got the feeling it covered a much broader area then just Acton Bridge.

Would it be feasible to just use public transportation to do this? We do like small towns better than large, which is why we were thinking of Acton rather then Stokes on Trent.

Any comments or advice are welcome. Thank you all for the help that has already been provided

UK
Destination Expert
for Chester
Level Contributor
3,557 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Acton Bridge

Acton Bridge station is some distance from the canal - fortunately downhill - but I would say it is a mile or more to walk. Much as I like this area I think you will find Acton Bridge itself rather too small.When is your trip? PM me and I can give you more advice. I live close by and we have our own canalboat on that stretch of canal.

bc, canada
Level Contributor
105 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Acton Bridge

Is there taxi service in Acton?

UK
Destination Expert
for Chester
Level Contributor
3,557 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Acton Bridge

I intended to say that the station is very small and unmanned. You would not find taxis outside and and I do not know of a taxi firm in the village. I think you would almost certainly have to phone for one from Frodsham or Northwich.

Acton Bridge is very small and the whole area has poor public transport links. There are trains about once every 2 hours but the journey from Manchester city centre involves going to Crewe first.

You will find yourselves somewhat restricted in Acton Bridge without a car. Do PM me and I can discuss this in detail and give you more options and advice on how to get the best from this area.

Northwich, United...
Level Contributor
1 post
30 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Acton Bridge

if you stay in the holly bush you only have a few hundred yards to walk

bc, canada
Level Contributor
105 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Acton Bridge

Thanks. Your reply helps. It's hard to judge distances when you are looking on a map.

Get answers to your questions about Cheshire