We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Any other nice little town around Chester?

Oslo
Level Contributor
99 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Any other nice little town around Chester?

Would like to stay in a little town or village with shops and restaurants

other than Chester. It is beautiful, but it¨s so hard to find a hotel with parking in the centre. Ideally, I would just like to pop in and out of the hotel with bags etc, and not having to take the car to go out for a meal in the evening. Been looking at the map, but have no idea of what Warrington is like, for instance, The town should be within a short-ish driving distance from John Lennon Airport :-)

UK
Destination Expert
for Chester
Level Contributor
3,659 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Any other nice little town around Chester?

Warrington would be no more convenient for a town centre hotel with parking. There are no hotels right in the centre with parking - the nearest would be the Village. Also Warrington is not a small town or village but a large post-industrial town and the best eating places are in Stockton Heath which is over a mile and a half from the town centre. Your best bet for a smallish place with some shops and restaurants would be Knutsford or Wilmslow

Do not discount Chester, however, as it cannot be beaten for atmosphere, shops and restaurants and none of the other places mentioned can compete for range of possibilities. The number and variety of places to eat in the evening is amazing. There are hotels in the city centre with parking, though you may have to pay a few pounds a night for it. (Crowne Plaza, Abode, The Grosvenor to mention but a few) There are many hotels and B&Bs within walking distance of the centre - google Hoole Road hotels - or the top B&B in Chester which is just across the river in Queens Park - all with free parking .

Edited: 06 March 2011, 15:44
Oslo
Level Contributor
99 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Any other nice little town around Chester?

Thanks for the quick resonse!

I'll probably end up in Chester again-) Would you have the name of that B&B in queens park you reffered to?

Hebden Bridge...
Level Contributor
812 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Any other nice little town around Chester?

What about Knutsford or Nantwich? Pretty little towns, I think.

Have a look at www.visitcheshire.com for more ideas.

UK
Destination Expert
for Chester
Level Contributor
3,659 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Any other nice little town around Chester?

The No 1 B&B on TA's list is the Manderley (see reviews). As a local never stayed there myself so this is not a personal recommendation. Post 3 is right about Nantwich as well as Knutsford.

Edited: 06 March 2011, 16:53
Manchester, United...
Destination Expert
for Pollenca, Port de Pollenca
Level Contributor
8,315 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Any other nice little town around Chester?

Warrington is not the "nice little town" you are seeking. Avoid IMO

Little Sutton...
Level Contributor
2,180 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Any other nice little town around Chester?

One wonders how the poster came up with Warrington as it isn't even that near to Chester!

Chester, United...
Level Contributor
2,700 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Any other nice little town around Chester?

The suggestions of Knutsford and Nantwich are spot on. Both are lovely little towns.

Wigan, United...
Level Contributor
972 posts
131 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Any other nice little town around Chester?

Hi, also have a look at Frodsham - lovely place with good restaurants and some interesting shops.

Oslo
Level Contributor
99 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Any other nice little town around Chester?

@Snaefello052: "The poster" lives in Norway and is used to very long distances between places, so to her, it's near.

Thanks to all you others for your well meaning replies :-)

Edited: 10 March 2011, 12:10
Shrewsbury
Destination Expert
for Barcelona
Level Contributor
11,566 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Any other nice little town around Chester?

I used to live in both Manchester and Warrington and am a frequent visitor to Chester and to me it's near too. I suppose it's relative.

I was also going to suggest Frodsham, as much for its compactness and very definite sense of self. Good parking, too - and exceptional steak & kidney puddings in the chip shop.

Get answers to your questions about Cheshire