We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dewa Roman Museum?

Which Chester hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Tinley Park...
Level Contributor
69 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Dewa Roman Museum?

My family and I were in Chester on Oct 3rd and visited the Dewa "dewa museum". I placed the "dewa " in quotes because it is questionable as to whether this place actually qualifies as a museum or as a cheap ( and I do mean CHEAP) imitation thereof. I'm afraid I was lured here by their slick web page and wanting to please my son-in-law,s passion for all things Roman. WHAT A GREAT DISSAPPOINTMENT!

This place could have been created in someone's garage given alittle time and some minor knowledge of history and Disneyland. The place seemed to be run by 2 or 3 people who gladly took your mone and ran the sad excuse of a gift shop( selling the ever important plastic "Roman sword" made in China).I don't think they have cleaned or updated one thing here since they opened the doors (whenever that was).

This visit was probably the worst experience we had in our 2 week stay in the UK and if it hadn't been a 3 hour drive specifically to see this place I probably wouldn't be writing this review.

The people of Chester have a beautiful city with wonderful historical sites to visit and I think they should be up in arms over this poor example that is so expertly advertised on the internet.

This quasi museum isn't even worthy of being called an amusement for children even though it appeared at the time of our visit it actually was being used as such and selling these children the incredible"Roman" swords for 2pounds each, how awful.

DON'T GO HERE UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCE! Stick to the traditional ancient sites and don't be mislead by slick websites.

Chester, United...
Level Contributor
2,700 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Dewa Roman Museum?

Let me apologise on behalf of Chester. I am sorry your trip to our lovely city was spoiled by this.

For the benefit of others, it is the "Dewa Roman Experience". It's not a museum (with real artifacts and striving to present a historically accurate picture) but is an experience (with reproductions and audio-visual tricks ).

I hope you managed to visit the excellent Grosvenor Museum during your stay - there the Roman artifacts are genuine. Please let us know next time you are visiting Chester and we can suggest a walking tour where your son in law will be able to enjoy many more of the real 2000 year old Roman remains that are still in Chester.

Ottawa, ON
Level Contributor
928 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Dewa Roman Museum?

I think the lesson here is that we should all be very cautious and suspicious of tourist attractions that advertise themselves as "experiences". This term should be seen as a major red flag, and our first reaction should be to run rapidly in the opposite direction. It took me a long time to learn this lesson, after suffering through such deplorable experiences as Winston Churchill's London at War Experience and The Famous Grouse Experience at the Glenturret distillery.

It may that not all "Experiences" are rip-offs, but one should do a lot of extra research before succumbing to their slick advertising. I visited the New Lanark World Heritage site shortly after experiencing the Famous Grouse, and chose not to do the Annie McLeod Experience because of my recollection of that earlier experience. I still wonder whether that was a correct decision. As an aside, I see that New Lanark has downgraded Annie McLeod to a story and introduced a "magical" Millennium Experience, so perhaps they are up to the same tricks as these other organizations.

Mold
1 post
Save Reply
3. Re: Dewa Roman Museum?

I disagree with the comments of the person from Tinley trailer park, Illinois. The Dewa Roman EXPERIENCE (it is not a museum and does not proport to be so) is an excellent attraction within a splendid city. I have visited the place with my Primary school classes every year for some time now, and I have taken my family on the occasion of visiting the city. Yes, some of the props may need refreshing, but the site itself has some REAL archaeological excavations to walk through, preserved since excavated.

I have always found the staff to be friendly and knowledgable, certainly the tour guides we have for each school visit are great with the children.

The shop is, I suppose, a necessary part of a privately owned attraction such as this, they are a business after all.

Considering the retail value of property in the city, and the scarcity of parking, I think the owners do well staying open and not selling the land to developers who would turn all our cities into giant carparks and blocks of flats.

If you have children who are studying the Romans, do take them!!!!

Cheshire
1 post
Save Reply
4. Re: Dewa Roman Museum?

I totally agree with your assessment and cannot believe the posting by a teacher? who takes the class regularly - I hope they get it for free because as a parent I can think of so many things of far better value. You must be family or a friend to defend such a dirty, run down, uninspiring establishment. I cannot call it an experience unless I add the word negative before it.

It is an embarrassment to such a beautiful and friendly city. I think the trading standards should investigate and the owners should go on a customer relations course as their subjective defensive reactions to criticism is not in line with the service industries ethos of "we welcome customer feedback".

I seriously question the sanity of those who cannot see what a SHAMBLES AND DISGRACEFUL EXPLOTATION to visitors of Chester that this place is. My 6 year old son was totally uninterested when he normally loves visiting anything - historic, educational, interactive or indeed literally any attraction - so please do not take your children there under any circumstances!!!!

Chester, United...
Level Contributor
3,045 posts
160 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Dewa Roman Museum?

I think we visited seen after it opened... must be well over ten years ago. Never been back. Sounds as if things haven;t changed much in between.

6. Re: Dewa Roman Museum?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 January 2010, 06:35
Get answers to your questions about Chester