We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Staying in Rossett. Chester eateries?

uk
Level Contributor
383 posts
43 reviews
Save Topic
Staying in Rossett. Chester eateries?

Staying in Rossett for a Chester visit with Car.Can you recommend any recommended placed to eat ,either pubs in Rossett (is the Red lion any good,think I have heard that mentioned),and /or low ket rstaurants in Chester or around.Coming at Easter-ish so may need to book.

Also,where is the cheapest place to park in CHester,not too far out.I USED to know Chester reasonably well.

uk
Level Contributor
383 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Staying in Rossett. Chester eateries?

Also,has anyone used this site called "scores on the doors," (environmental health department) which rates hotels by hygeine checks. Looking at that,which mid price ones can you recommend?

Chester, United...
Level Contributor
2,700 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Staying in Rossett. Chester eateries?

I'm lazy, I usually park in the Grosvenor Centre car park. But the one down by the river in the triangle between Castle Drive, Grosvenor Road and the river is quite a bit cheaper. Parking at the racecourse too is still an option.

What's the restaurant website your looking at?

uk
Level Contributor
383 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Staying in Rossett. Chester eateries?

its www.scoresonthedoors.org.uk

you have to select eg chester city council.

Chester, United...
Level Contributor
2,700 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Staying in Rossett. Chester eateries?

Interesting site. LOL! Not sure that I'll eat at the Subway at Gowy Service Station or Burger King in preference to a real restaurant even if it does get 5 stars. But from the first few on that list I'd opt for Ego or La Tasca.

Sorry I don't know pubs in Rossett.

UK
Level Contributor
20 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Staying in Rossett. Chester eateries?

If you are going to be in Chester during the day, the best place to park is in Tesco, just buy some booze or something and you don't need to pay anything. Another idea would be to use the park and ride on Wrexham Road, this is on your way into Chester from Rossett, however, I am not sure what time that closes. If you know Chester, you will know The Castle carpark, that is free in the evening as far as I can remember, having said that, I am not sure as I usually walk into town or use a taxi at night, sorry not to be all that helpful, perhaps you could check the city council website, they might list the parking options. As far as eating is concerned there are loads of reasonable places. Moules a go go on Watergate Street is good and good value, Ego is fine, Chez Jules on Northgate Street is the best value, it is part of the same group as Ego, but cheaper, you can't book there, so you have to be early or late, but it is good and very good value. Also on Northgate Street is Joseph Benjamin, this must be the smallest restaurant ever, the food is good, but it used to be very cheap and has increased the prices lately, so not such good value as before. There is a new place called G.A.L in Frodsham Street which opened over the Christmas period and that has been good the two times we have eaten there. I have never had anything fit to call a decent meal at La Tasca, so would not really think it is worth a visit unless you want to prove me wrong, but, why risk it?!! Oh, I nearly forgot, The Red Lion in Rossett, that is ok too really, at least it was the last time I went, which would be about nine months ago now. Hope you have a good time, Chester seems to be in the midst of a bit of a change around, lots of shops have closed recently and the place is looking like it is loosing out to the new shopping places like the Trafford Centre in Manchester and Cheshire Oaks in Ellesmere Port, what it will be like when the new shops in Liverpool and Wrexham open, I have no idea, pity really, because it is a great place, it is just having a rather sad time at present. Mind you, during the previous recessions shops were closed for a while and then things turned around and improved, so I suppose, inspite of Gordon Brown telling us there would be no more Boom or Bust under Labour, we are due for a few lean years, just like the 7 lean years in the bible really, quite appropriate for a Roman city like Chester!!!!

Wrexham Wales
Level Contributor
17 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Staying in Rossett. Chester eateries?

if its not too late try chez jules at top of northgate st -esp for reasonable lunch

Wakefield, United...
Level Contributor
164 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Staying in Rossett. Chester eateries?

I hope that you didnt go to Chez Jules, if we are too late because it was horrible last time I was there.

I stick to my usual recommendation of the George and Dragon in Tarvin. Excellent food and a nice place.

Ego - Awful food

La Tasca - Even worse, made me so ill

Moules a go go - Not too bad, but still nothing special

Its really hard to find anywhere nice to eat in Chester!

Wakefield, United...
Level Contributor
164 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Staying in Rossett. Chester eateries?

we have just being having the greatest time looking on the scores on doors website. My hubbie is a chef and we have laughed and laughed at everyone's scores!

At least we know where to eat and where not to eat now in Chester!

For anyone that was interested, my hubbie's kitchen is very close to the top! Thank goodness!

chester,uk
Level Contributor
150 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Staying in Rossett. Chester eateries?

Hi. If you are still coming for a visit.

the Allyn in rossett, great place to sit in the sun and eat. The red lion in dodleston village is great. And there is another pub in Kinnerton- I will try to get the name if you are interested. By far the pub in Kinnerton so far has been the best.

As for visiting Chester, there is a bus #1 from wrexham to chester , every 10 minutes during the week. It goes town for about 1.75gpb.

any other questions just ask?

cj

Chester, United...
Level Contributor
3,129 posts
166 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Staying in Rossett. Chester eateries?

I had a look at the scores on the doors website and everywhere seemed to have 5 stars (on the front page anyway) which included the Odeon cinema which has been closed for good ness knows how long.

We used to enjoy Churtons in Rossett for a good meal, also there is the Grosvenor Arms in Pulford nearby with a big car park.

I see the original post is dated November 2005, how did the trip go? Where did you eat?

Get answers to your questions about Chester