We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Things to do Credit crunch visit with sporty 10 yr old son

Sussex
Level Contributor
56 posts
34 reviews
Save Topic
Things to do Credit crunch visit with sporty 10 yr old son

Please can you advise me what I could do in Chester between Monday and Tuesday lst week in April with my sporty 10 year old son who wants only an "non educational trip" to Chester!"

Is there for instance a pitch and putt venue or other sports I could visit/do with him?

Or are there any sports happenings where we could be spectactors? I have found out that Chester football team is not playing at this time.

Budget is tight so please do not suggest "Royal enclosures at The Races!"

Thanks

Chester, United...
Level Contributor
2,700 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Things to do Credit crunch visit with sporty 10 yr old son

Northgate Arena is the local authority run sports hall. It's huge and is well regarded with good facilities. There's an Easter holiday "learn to swim" programme on if that's any interest. It's not just aimed at beginners but they'll be sessions for improvers too.

The zoo is always fun and it's considered one of the best in Europe. It's about £12 for adults an £9 for kids so cheaper than the "Royal enclosure" but ...

Westminster Park has a par 3 golf course. I'm not sure about pitch and puts. I'll ask around.

"Go Ape" is a short ride away in Delamere Forest. Climbing through trees, swinging from ropes, riding the zip wire. Kids around here all love it. Also in the forest you can rent mountain bikes and get muddy and bruised. Or more sedately, just walk through the Forrest.

Hope that gives some starting ideas. I'll put my thinking cap on for more.

Sussex
Level Contributor
56 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Things to do Credit crunch visit with sporty 10 yr old son

Many thanks for your reply-most welcomed. Any further help appreciated. Feel much more positive about our visit now!

Chester, United...
Level Contributor
2,700 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Things to do Credit crunch visit with sporty 10 yr old son

A couple more thoughts for you courtesy of a leaflet in my local library:

There's a sports event he's probably enjoy on 5th April - basketball match between Chester Jets & Sheffield Sharks at Northgate arena. www.jetsbasketball.co.uk

I know you said "non educational" but might he enjoy meeting a Roman soldier. 8th April, free.

www.grosvenormuseum.co.uk

And there's a pitch & put at Alexandra Park, Hoole. It's about a mile outside the city centre on a route with plenty of buses.

Sussex
Level Contributor
56 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Things to do Credit crunch visit with sporty 10 yr old son

Thank you so much for all this input. The internet at its best. I will take this information to Chester and hopefully have a great time.

Essex
Level Contributor
28,539 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Things to do Credit crunch visit with sporty 10 yr old son

I 'googled' 'Chester boys football training' and came up with this:

http://www.littlekickers.co.uk/

don't know if it will help you, but googling 'whatever' he is really interested in, might find you a couple of options!

Good Luck, EW

Sussex
Level Contributor
56 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Things to do Credit crunch visit with sporty 10 yr old son

Thank you very much for your input. Much appreciated

Cheshire - England
Level Contributor
672 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Things to do Credit crunch visit with sporty 10 yr old son

Hello

Here is the web site for the par 3 golf course at Westminster Park. It's a great little muni course and while it is some time since I have been there do seem to recall that it was very cheap!

http://www.cadsart.co.uk/westminster.html

8. Re: Things to do Credit crunch visit with sporty 10 yr old son

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 October 2009, 06:20
Get answers to your questions about Chester
Recent Conversations