We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Can a Chester local assist with location advice, please?

Which Chester hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Texas
Level Contributor
22 posts
47 reviews
Save Topic
Can a Chester local assist with location advice, please?

My wife and I are coming to Chester in early June. I have located a few self-catering apartments for our stay, but would really appreciate some input from locals regarding safety, location, etc. We will have a rental car and plan to do several days of country visits as well as visiting Chester. All of these have off street parking (important).

The first is "5 Albion Mews" (400 GBP week)

The second is in Wycliffe Court (550 GBP week)

the third "cottage" is 4 miles out of the city (470 GBP week)

Thanks, friends! Can't wait to get to your city!

Tthe links below are for a Google map. Zoom in and use satellite view. (Looks like you will have to cut and paste into your browser - sorry)

Albion Mews, Chester, Cheshire CH3, UK

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=Albion+Mews,+Chester,+Cheshire,+UK&sll=37.0625,-95.677068&sspn=57.249013,63.632813&ie=UTF8&z=16&iwloc=addr

Wycliffe Ct, Chester, Cheshire CH2, UK

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=wycliffe+court,+Chester,+Cheshire,+UK&sll=53.188033,-2.888563&sspn=0.010723,0.015535&ie=UTF8&z=16&iwloc=addr

Stamford Bridge, Great Barrow, Chester, Cheshire, UK

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=stamford+bridge,+Chester,+Cheshire,+UK&sll=53.286564,-2.761002&sspn=0.342345,0.497131&ie=UTF8&z=15&iwloc=addr

North West England...
Level Contributor
1,810 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Can a Chester local assist with location advice, please?

Hi, I'm not local to Chester, but I live close enough to visit the city regularly.

You have no need to worry about safety at any of the locations, Chester's a very safe city. If you intend to stay in the city centre it is vital to find a property with off street parking, It's a nightmare trying to find a parking spot in the city centre.

Albion Mews is right in the city centre, in a busy area, very close to the River Dee, the cathedral and the shops.

I don't know the area where Wycliffe Court is situated, but I see from the map that it is at the rear of Chester Station, near to a busy railway line.

If you intend to do much touring, Great Barrow would be ideally placed. It's a couple of miles from the A55 which would allow easy access to North Wales and the M53, M56 and M6 motorways. You will be spoilt for choice deciding on places to visit

Great Barrow also has the advantage of being in a rural area, but close to the city centre.

You would have no need to drive into Chester City Centre, there's a park and ride bus terminus a couple of miles away from Great Barrow. The buses are very frequent, cheap and take you right into the city centre.

chester.gov.uk/council_services/parking_serv…

I'm sure that you will have a great time, good luck!

Chester, United...
Level Contributor
176 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Can a Chester local assist with location advice, please?

Albion mews is a short walk to the City Centre, great location for walking around the City, no need to use the car. Also good pub just around the corner, the Albion, great food.

Wycliffe is about 20/30 mins walk to City centre, out of City, good location for access to motorway links, North Wales, Manchester, Liverpool etc.

Stamford Bridge, 15/20 min drive from City Centre, more countryside than City. Again good for road links.

All three places are pretty safe.

England
Level Contributor
1,132 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Can a Chester local assist with location advice, please?

Cen Texan, how long are you in Chester for?

The Albion Mews option is in avery good position for walking around the city...parking is awkward in town, but you are being offered car space ? Chester is also in good position for touring the North West.

Know lots more, if you have any questions.

Chester, United...
Level Contributor
2,700 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Can a Chester local assist with location advice, please?

I'd vote for the Albion Mews one. All are in safe areas (I'd say that about pretty much anywhere in and around Chester) so you've no worries there.

Stamford Bridge is a small village a few miles out of the city. Nice enough but you will have to drive everywhere except to the one village pub.

Wycliffe Court is a fairly recent mews development in a residential neighbourhood a couple of miles outside of the city centre. It does back on to the railway line but that shouldn't be a worry. My own house backs onto the same railway line. Most of the trains are small, quiet passenger trains. There are a couple of bigger goods trains go by but they're nothing like as big or noisy as a US train.

Albion Street in just steps away from the city centre. Here you can easily walk to all the sights and entertainment of the city and thr river. The houses there are older terraced house but its proximity to the city centre makes it a desirable area and the houses reflect this in being well maintained. Despite its closeness to the city centre it will still be very easy to drive out on day trips.

Hope this helps. Post again of you need more info.

Texas
Level Contributor
22 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Can a Chester local assist with location advice, please?

Fantastic! Thank you all for your insight about the 3 locations. We are visiting for 9 days and wish to do a combination of country driving/touring and Chester city visits.

All 3 offer off-street parking.

An unfortunate developement . . the Albion Mews (in which we were most interested) is being offered via an agency (Sykes Cottages). Everytime I correspond/email, I get a reply from a different agent - who has no information from my previous emails. There have been numerous miscommunications (from dates to prices) and at this point, I no longer feel comforatable booking through them. Sure wish I could have emailed directly to the owner! We would have booked and paid by now. .

So we have added one "Lane Cottage" in Tarpin as an option (550GBP). Yes -must drive into town. And one other "Watergate Nook" in Chester (590GBP but only 7 nights - leaving us 2 elseswhere)

If any of you have other suggestion or advice, please feel free. I just look forward to getting it settled - and start looking for our places to visit.

Chester, United...
Level Contributor
2,700 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Can a Chester local assist with location advice, please?

Do you mean Lane Cottage in Tarvin rather than Tarpin? I'd say avoid - the cottages are near the very busy, noisy A54 road. For an out of town location the Stamford Bridge one will be better.

Watergate Nook – hmmm. It’s in the city centre and, like the Albion Mews one, it’s easy to walk around Chester. Generally a great location. My one worry about it though is that end of Watergate Street is very near the inner ring road. So again traffic noise may be bothersome.

You might try here for a different apartment in Albion Mews. (I have no connection with them and have never rented from them I just came across them when looking up the web site of your other 2 rentals.)

http://www.chesterholidays.co.uk/index.html

Good luck.

Chester, United...
Level Contributor
3,011 posts
160 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Can a Chester local assist with location advice, please?

If the Watergate Nook is in the lower part of Watergate Street I would warn you that there are some homeless hostels there, not good late at night. If it is the upper (within the City walls) it would be fine though probably quite noisy into the evening/night as there are a lot of bars and restaurants in Watergate Street.

Pity about the Albion Street accommodation, that would be very good for city centre.

Nothing come up on Hough Green for instance?

I would also emphasis the importance of parking spaces if in Chester, parking is a nightmare and very expensive to use car parks.

I am a Chester resident of over 20 years, feel free to ask any questions!

Chester is a really lovely and friendly city to visit.

Texas
Level Contributor
22 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Can a Chester local assist with location advice, please?

Thanks so much, Cheshire Cat and PennyWhis(tle?).

Yes - I meant Tarvin (not Tarpin). And I sent 2 emails without reply (within 2 weeks) to the site you mentioned, Cheshire. We really wanted to stay at Albion Mews, but went ahead and booked the Stamford Bridge location. We'll do a little more driving but that will be fine.

How much is gasoline/petrol selling for nowadays?

TESCO: I read that the Tesco is downtown and has a parking garage. We will probably do our grocery shopping there. Is it still free parking if you spend over 5 GBP in the Tesco? Can we park there, walk around town a bit, then buy our groceries - and still get the parking for free?

And - (this is a long shot) – my wife and I are both school music teachers (instrumental). Do you know if any of the high schools/etc might be giving a band or orchestra concert during one of the nights we are in town (June 6-14)?

CHESTER
Destination Expert
for Marmaris
Level Contributor
6,549 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Can a Chester local assist with location advice, please?

I payed 91.09p per litre of petrol today.Our park and rides are excellent I use them every time,about £1.70p each to park and take the bus into town,and stay as long as you want,from where you staying the Chester Zoo park and ride is your nearest.

Texas
Level Contributor
22 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Can a Chester local assist with location advice, please?

Thanks, Ethansnan. We'll try the park and ride. Mass transit/park and ride is still foreign stuff to us small town USA folks! (We'll learn,tho!)

And sorry, PennyW. I thought your title was PennyWhis (and being a musician immediately thought of pennywhistle). :)

Get answers to your questions about Chester