We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

London to Ellesmere - How Do We Get There?

Which Chester hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Seattle
Level Contributor
153 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
London to Ellesmere - How Do We Get There?

We will be renting a narrowboat next summer from a marina in the small town of Ellesmere, Shropshire. I can't seem to get any information from the company about transportation and lodging there. I suppose they are closed for the winter.

We will arrive at Heathrow June 26 at 9:50 am. We pick up the narrowboat the next day at 2:00 pm. I know there is a train we can take to get to Chester which is fairly close to Ellesmere. So I guess we could either stay the night in Chester and get local transportation the next morning to Ellesmere. However, we also have to buy provisions for a week on the narrowboat.

Can anyone suggust a better way?

England
Level Contributor
1,145 posts
1 review
Save Reply
11. Re: London to Ellesmere - How Do We Get There?

I'm with you GingerChimp, exactly my thoughts.

Seattle
Level Contributor
153 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: London to Ellesmere - How Do We Get There?

Just to clarify, all I know is that it is the Ellesmere that is in Shropshire and that we are renting a narrowboat at Blackwater Meadow Marina. I used Chester simply because it looked like the largest city somewhat close by for train transportation. I'm still not sure the best way to get there from Heathrow but I'll try to study the different sites that were provided.

I sure could use a train or bus schedule! I want to be able to plan exactly the departure options from Heathrow and all the different connections.

Thanks everyone, for the help!

Chester, United...
Level Contributor
2,700 posts
Save Reply
13. Re: London to Ellesmere - How Do We Get There?

Hi Herrington,

I know Ellesmere in Shropshire - it's a lovely town. To get there from London I suggest you take the train from London Euston to Crewe. There re lots of direct trains and it's a fast journey of under 2 hours. From there you can get a taxi from the station rank that will take you the 27 miles to Ellesmere. There isn't a bus you could use.

To stay overnight, there are a couple of decent places. I suggest the Red Lion. It's an old 16th century coaching inn. I must add I've never stayed overnight there but I can vouch that it's good for a tasty lunch. It's address is

Red Lion Coaching Inn

18 Church Street,

Ellesmere,

SY12 0HD

Have fun.

UK
Destination Expert
for Chester
Level Contributor
3,638 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: London to Ellesmere - How Do We Get There?

I did PM you recently (though I don't know whether you received the message) and also suggested Shrewsbury as a better bet than Chester for transport links to Ellesmere - and don't be confused by other postings here, it is Ellesmere in Shropshire that you want and not Ellesmere Port. There is a regular bus service from Shrewsbury to Ellesmere. Transport from Chester is more problematical. In my PM I offered you more help should you need it. That offer still holds.

East Midlands
Destination Expert
for Northamptonshire
Level Contributor
2,816 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: London to Ellesmere - How Do We Get There?

I don't why I bother.

Shropshire England
Level Contributor
416 posts
Save Reply
16. Re: London to Ellesmere - How Do We Get There?

and for your shopping there are several local shops and a large new supermarket, one of the large national chains.

17. Re: London to Ellesmere - How Do We Get There?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 May 2010, 06:16
Get answers to your questions about Chester