We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Chester racecourse

Ireland
Level Contributor
149 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Chester racecourse

Having a stag in Liverpool during the summer and we've decided to go to the horse racing when we're over.

Anyone any advice on the course?

Do they do 'stag deals' does anybody know? (nothing bout it on their site).

Was looking at the prices of their restaurant deals - pricey enough, so just wondering if theyre worth it? (or would we be better off just buying our admission ticket in on the day, and just going with the flow?)

Any advice appreciated - cheers!

England
Level Contributor
1,148 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Chester racecourse

Which meeting are you aiming for ? There is a good rail network that will get you in to Chester (from Liverpool). Many places in town do pre race breakfasts/brunches. As for eating on the course, the restaurant 1539 is good,but you might be better off doing Tattersalls, and then you have the freedom to venture more or less anywhere on the course (and choose somewhere else outside after the races to dine).Don't buy County Stand tickets, unless you pay the extra for the Long Room, County Stand tickets in isolation IMHO, are not worth the extra. The walk from town centre to the track is 5 minutes'ish.

Ireland
Level Contributor
149 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Chester racecourse

Cheers for the advise, very helpful!!

Heading over the irish bank holiday weekend and its august 1st were planning to go races (seems to be reduced prices for admission that day for some reason!!)

Were ye ever in one of the boxes? Was going to price them – but then I thought it might be better craic just to go in ourselves (and be outdoors!!) and get grub as we go along!! If we decide to do that which area would ye suggest buying the ticket for? (tbh haven’t been to the races since I was a kid!!)

Thanks again!

Chester, United...
Level Contributor
3,104 posts
166 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Chester racecourse

Prices in the race course are very high, Chester is full of bars and restaurants offering all sorts of deals. I'd eat and drink in town and just go to the races for racing and drinks at the bar.

If you are going for a stag weekend presumably you will be staying somewhere in town, I'd take it from there.

It's a great race course, and well placed for town.

England
Level Contributor
1,148 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Chester racecourse

Not sure of your budget or numbers. That date is a Sunday meeting and is aimed at being a "family day", the quality of horses is somewhat diluted, but nevertheless a good day out. I notice that Tattersalls is "buy one get one free" for that day, that is what I would go for.

north west, england
Level Contributor
44 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Chester racecourse

If you do not eat at the racecourse I would recommend booking a table in town somewhere as restaurants/bars in Chester get very busy on race days. For good food, a bar, but nothing over the top the slug and lettuce on Bridge Street is nice but if you want something a bit more special try Oddfellows (lower bridge street - fantastic bar and good food and outside seating ...quite rare in Chester), the Ship Inn over the other side of river from lower bridge street, the Red House (sometimes does speacial race events where you can get a meal and then be ferried down the river from/or to the restaurant depending on the time of the race and dropped off/picked up to/from the race course). The Onion Ring (www.onion.co.uk) is a good website to get an idea of restaurants in Chester.

Chester, United...
Level Contributor
3,104 posts
166 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Chester racecourse

I have heard several bad reports recently from friends who have been to the Ship in Handbridge, I'd stick with town itself.

Moules a gogo in Watergate Street is always worth visiting and there are a few bars nearby and it is on the street leading the race course, there is a triangle off Grosvenor Street with La Tasca (Spanish tapas) Francs (french) and Tropeira (Brazilian steakhouse) which is very close by.

No danger of dying of hunger or thirst in Chester!

Ireland
Level Contributor
149 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Chester racecourse

Thanks very much for all the advise!!

I think after taking your comments on board, we will pay in on the day, get tattersalls tickets (i presume teh 2 for 1 deal will be available on the day!!) - book a table in the oddfellows pub for afterwards and stay there for a few pints for the evening before heading back to liverpool!! Wouldnt mind spending the evening in chester tbh!!

Thanks again!!

UK
Destination Expert
for Chester
Level Contributor
3,679 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Chester racecourse

Oddfellows is not a pub but quite a posh venue for eating or a quiet drink. You might feel somewhat inhibited having a few beers for a stag party there. a

Chester, United...
Level Contributor
3,104 posts
166 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Chester racecourse

However there are plenty of pubs close to Oddfellows, if you go down Lower Bridge Street there is the Brewery Tap which is a real ale beer pub, good fun, if you go uphill there is the Falcon close by, then into town itself for Slug and Lettuce and all the rest of them.

Most Race 2for1 offers are for booking in advance in my experience...

England
Level Contributor
1,148 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Chester racecourse

I'm with pennyw on that one...tatts ticket offer is on advanced sales (maybe worth a phone call ?).

Get answers to your questions about Chester