We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

3 days in Chester this week

London, United...
Level Contributor
34 posts
27 reviews
Save Topic
3 days in Chester this week

We are visiting Chester for a few days at the end of the week and am looking for advice from 'those in the know' about the best places to visit/eat/drink. We are in late 50's and OH is not keen on walking too far.

Has anyone done the 'taste of Chester' tour? We are thinking of starting the day with the 'hop on hop off'' tour to get a feel of the place.

The other query is that I have family in LLan Ffestiniog and we are thinking to drive up there and stopping off somewhere nice in N Wales on the way back to Yorkshire. Any thoughts?

Many thanks

England
Level Contributor
1,148 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: 3 days in Chester this week

Chester is a very compact city, walking around it, is not a problem. Like anywhere, it will depend also on the weather. Your trip coincides with the "Chestival", extra activities going on, "Town Crier Championship", is taking place with the final on Saturday. As for the bus tours, not sure, with being local never considered or needed to partake....but they look popular enough. As for eating out, there are plenty of places to go, what are your tastes? We have a big selection of chained and independent eateries.

Edited: 14 June 2010, 12:39
London, United...
Level Contributor
34 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 3 days in Chester this week

We like good food but not 'fine dining'. Somewhere with a good atmosphere and maybe outside tables or even a roof terrace?

England
Level Contributor
1,148 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: 3 days in Chester this week

Duttons, in Godstall Lane, is a very good place, nice setting (no panoramic view though, it's in, for want of a better description, an "alley way"), but very nice.There are limited seats outside, also in the same alleyway /lane is

The Living Room. Chester has tried its best in recent years to encourage outside eating, if only to create a pavement cafe feel,about the place. Bridge Street has several eateries...Slug & Lettuce etc, and then a bit further down we have a Tapas restaurant (amongst other types), what ever you decide on, be aware that there are discount vouchers for several places that you can down load from the net. Looking at weather forecast everything is looking good. Having said that , if the weather is good,then eat down by the river...last but not least re your rooftop terrace, 1539 at the race course has an outside terrace,can't think of any others off hand, but we do have a new Abode hotel that houses a Michael Caines endorsed restaurant and that is elevated with views over the race course and the river.The list is endless. Where are you staying ?

Edited: 14 June 2010, 15:01
Little Sutton...
Level Contributor
2,180 posts
131 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 3 days in Chester this week

The Forest House is IMO a particularly nice Weatherspoons outlet.

Places to visit,how about beautiful Chester Zoo(you don't have to walk the whole place,there is a monorail round the park),not too far away in Ellesmere Port you have the Cheshire Oaks Outlet Mall,The Blue Planet Aquarium & The National Canal Boat Musuem

Chester, United...
Level Contributor
176 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 3 days in Chester this week

Try

Oddfellows, 20 Lower Bridge St.

Bar Lounge, 75 Watergate Street.

Commercial Hotel, Northgate Street.

Alexanders, Rufus Court.

Telford's Warehouse, Tower Wharf (short taxi ride)

All have outside seating areas.

London, United...
Level Contributor
34 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 3 days in Chester this week

Thank you for those suggestions - they look just the sort of places that we would enjoy.

Wrexham, United...
Level Contributor
420 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 3 days in Chester this week

I love Duttons!

When my family from Australia came over for a holiday, we all went on the evening Ghost Walk. Even for a local like myself, it was very enjoyable. None of us really bought into the 'ghost' thing, but you get to hear a lot of Chester history on the walk and see quieter historic streets which you would normally pass by. It's not a terribly long walk (as stated previously, Chester is very compact) but you will probably have to do steps up and down the walls and rows.

As the weather is nice, you can't beat a picnic on the benches in The Groves (by the River Dee). M&S is only a short walk from there so you could pick up sandwiches there. Sometimes there is a band playing in the bandstand, and there are usually boat trips running, as well as small rowing boats going up an down.

The Refrectory in Chester Cathedral is a wonderful place to have lunch. It's a normal self-service coffee shop in the former monk's refrectory. You can access it under the archway on Northgate Street to avoid paying admission to the Cathedral, if you don't wish to go into it.

Southport UK
Level Contributor
933 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: 3 days in Chester this week

I went on the Hop on Hop off bus tour last month. I was with friends and we really enjoyed it. the guide was most informative. In fact one couple went round again they so enjoyed it and learnt a lot! We did the combined tour and boat trip. I'd go again.

Chester, United...
Level Contributor
3,111 posts
166 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 3 days in Chester this week

For outside eating I would definitely recommend Oddfellows, also Bollecinis has a terrace, nice for lunchtime, bit disorganised in the evening.

Joseph Benjamin does good loal food in Northgate Street.

GAL in Frodsham Street is good too.

You wohn't go hungry in Chester!

Chester, United...
Level Contributor
2,700 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: 3 days in Chester this week

Lots of good advice already on food so I'll stick to tours - I've done 2 walking tours. One was a public Taste of Chester tour and the other was a private one. Both were excellent and well worth the money.

If walking isn't your thing then how about aboat ride on the Dee. It gives a totally different angle on the city from the walks or the bus tour. Again lots of fun.

www.chesterboat.co.uk

Enjoy.

Get answers to your questions about Chester