We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How do I get from DFW to Chester?

Which Chester hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Mansfield, Texas
Level Contributor
106 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
How do I get from DFW to Chester?

We recently met some folks from Chester and would like to visit this lovely city. Our only other trip to the U.K. was to London so we are in the dark on how to get to Chester. Could someone please tell us how to get there from the Dallas -Fort Worth or Houston area. Also any suggestions as to where to stay. Thanks

Devizes, United...
Level Contributor
40,216 posts
340 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How do I get from DFW to Chester?

Hi there

The two closest International airports to Chester are at Liverpool and Manchester so the first thing to do is to see if there are any flights from DFW to either of these airports, rather than having to go to Heathrow or Gatwick, both of which are a long way from Chester.

I don't know whether there would be any direct flights, so the other option is to see if you might fly to the east coast of the US and connect there at maybe New York or Washington for a direct flight to either airport.

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
32,589 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How do I get from DFW to Chester?

Fly to London Heathrow (most choice of flights), and take a bus, car or train to Chester, which is about 200 miles northwest of London.

Flying into Manchester may save you a few minutes travel time but will probably cost a lot more.

Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
31,464 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: How do I get from DFW to Chester?

Personally I would book a flight to Manchester - you'll probably have to fly via Phildelphia or Atlanta

From there it's a train ride to Chester. I wouldn't faff on with travelling into London just to get a train out again

Leeds, United...
Destination Expert
for Leeds, Bradford
Level Contributor
17,565 posts
280 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How do I get from DFW to Chester?

I'd agree with Alan, fly into Manchester as opposed to Heathrow. Several airlines will fly you there with one stopover (American, Delta, US, UA etc), and from the airport to Chester there is a good, regular rail service where the journey time is about 1hour 20 minutes.

california
Level Contributor
792 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: How do I get from DFW to Chester?

If me I would take a non-stop flight to LHR, car service to Euston train station and the train to Chester. The train only takes around 2 hours and total time most likely would be less than changing planes and flying into Manchester. Well, thats what I would do and have in fact, done.

Dunfermline, United...
Level Contributor
12,992 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: How do I get from DFW to Chester?

Another vote for flying into Manchester from Newark, Philadelphia, Chicago or Atlanta. 7 hours transAtlantic flight to Manchester then short train ride to Chester or

7 hours transAtlantic flight to Heathrow, clear immigration in one of the busiest airports in the world, another hour getting to Euston followed by another 2 hours plus on a train.

No contest

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
32,589 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: How do I get from DFW to Chester?

So, your choice seems to be either flying into MAN with a change en route, and a short train ride to Chester, or a direct flight to LHR and a longer train or car journey to Chester.

You may want to investigate the relative costs of these options (if that's important to you); whether you'll want a car on your trip; and whether your friends might pick you up from Manchester, which would seem reasonable.

Chester, United...
Level Contributor
2,700 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: How do I get from DFW to Chester?

Chester is a great city, so glad you are visiting us. You've a few choice to get here :

Fly to Manchester (you will have to transfer at somewhere like Atlanta or Philadelphia). Then unfortunately there is not a direct train to Chester so either take a cab to Altrincham then the train to Chester; or arrange a car service to pick you up at the airport and drive you (cost for the car probably about £50-£60).

Fly direct to Heathrow then car service or tube to London Euston then train to Chester.

My personal choice coming home (to near Chester) is always to change planes in the US and fly into Manchester then have a car service meet me. Manchester is an easy airport to navigate your way out of. But in my experience schlepping around Heathrow to collect bags and clear customs (say 1 hour) then the long walk to the tube (about another hour to get to Euston) and then a 2+ hour train journey all after a transatlantic flight is too wearying.

On the rare times when I do have to fly into Heathrow, I book internal flights to/from Manchester and again get car service from there. - Remember if you book it all one one ticket then your luggage is checked all the way through to Manchester and you don't have to collect and re-check it at Heathrow. And often the extra cost of the Heathrow to Manchester leg is negligible when it's booked on the same ticket - often cheaper than the train.

For suggestions on where to stay, maybe post a separate thread giving us some idea of what you want, when you are planning on vising, and what your budget is. Chester is a very visitor friendly city and we have a whole range of hotels and B&B to suit all tastes and budgets.

Edited: 11 December 2010, 19:26
Mansfield, Texas
Level Contributor
106 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: How do I get from DFW to Chester?

O.K. Thanks, I have found two flights out of Houston that go to Manchester....One on luftansa with a plane change in Frankfurt and one on KLM with change in Amsterdam . We have previously had a plane change in each of these airports with zero problems and will probably go one of these routes to Manchester.We will probably use a car from Manchester to Chester since the mass transit thing is still confusing to us,Thanks for all the help. I am currently searching Expedia for hotel options.

10. Re: How do I get from DFW to Chester?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 June 2011, 06:28
Get answers to your questions about Chester