We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

24 hour parking in chester

Which Chester hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
wigan
Level Contributor
27 posts
Save Topic
24 hour parking in chester

Hi there,

i am going to stop in travellodge delamere street for a couple of nights but they have no parking. they say there is a car park over the road but from 7am you have to display a ticket each day

is there any parking i can stop in and pay for 3 days??

thanks

Chester, United...
Level Contributor
3,084 posts
163 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 24 hour parking in chester

There used to be 24 hour parking at the Northgate Arena which would be opposite the Travelodge. Will see if I can get the CWC link up...

hmmmm, see what you mean. I have contacted them, will let you know if I get a reply.

I know you can pay for several day at the Station car parks but they are not particularly handy for you, and often difficult to get into.

UK
Destination Expert
for Chester
Level Contributor
3,662 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 24 hour parking in chester

It would seem that the Northgate car park (NOT the Northgate Arena which is much more expensive) requires you to pay £3 up to 6pm and then another £1.50 from 6pm to 7am. They do check as I park there quite regularly and there is almost always an official checking tickets on windscreens. The only council car park that is clearly stated to be 24 hours is at Sandy Lane which is quite a distance from the Travelodge.

Edited: 09 May 2011, 18:53
Chester, United...
Level Contributor
3,084 posts
163 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 24 hour parking in chester

Did get a reply from the Council who seemed a bit bemused, obviously they hadn't thought of that, suggested if you were parking over night you left a note, not sure that is very reliable information.

They did confirm that the station was the only one they knew of that you can prepay for several days. Didn't mention Sandy Lane...

UK
Destination Expert
for Chester
Level Contributor
3,662 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 24 hour parking in chester

The CWaC website simply states that Sandy Lane is 24 hours This is not said of any of the other car parks. However, it makes no mention of how long one can pay for at once.

Arroyo de la Miel...
Level Contributor
14,880 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 24 hour parking in chester

Did you get any sense on this, as we will have the same problem shortly.

Chester, United...
Level Contributor
3,084 posts
163 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 24 hour parking in chester

Perhaps PM simplesimon, it would be interesting to hear how he managed.

Manchester, United...
1 post
Save Reply
7. Re: 24 hour parking in chester

I’ve just had the most expensive and disappointing weekend in Chester, a rather run down and disappointing city. It was mainly closed with many empty retail units, and no chance of a cup of coffee after 5pm. The restaurants offered over-priced, poor quality food. There is no cinema or theatre, leaving only the cut-price booze pubs spewing out stag parties in the evening.

And don’t bring your car. There is nowhere to park in the city centre unless you are prepared to pay a small fortune and spend at least two hours there – that’s if you can find something to do for two hours.

I needed a prescription and having seen a Chemist I tried to find a nearby parking space. In desperation I pulled up in a back lane behind a row of shops in Lower Watergate Street. It was a quiet Sunday morning, so surely I’d be OK for 10 minutes?

But no! Returned to car to find two incredibly rude “heavies” brandishing ID cards and the car clamped. They demanded a cash payment to unclamp. As they could have been anyone (let’s just say their appearance didn’t look “official”), I tried to explain my circumstances. I had clearly moved things up a level as the next thing they did was tow the car, which wasted a further 2 hours trying to get it back for a much larger cash payment. There was nothing in their leaflet to suggest “cash only” payment was required, but nearby police said there was nothing they could do. One damaged tyre later and £500 lighter I left – hopefully forever – this dreadful city. Yes it was my fault – I had failed to notice the “Permit Holders Only” notice, but nevertheless what does the Chester and West Cheshire Local Authority think its doing to encourage the tourism this sorry little place so desperately needs? And why do we in Britain put up with being bullied by rude, insolent thugs who seem to be invested with the power to legally mug us of as much money as they like?

The Clamping firm is apparently paid by the shops who back onto Lower Watergate Street in Chester, or their Landlord. Either way I won’t ever shop in these shops, or their many branches, again, and I will urge everyone I meet to do likewise. Why would failing businesses wish to prevent customers getting through its doors? Wouldn’t a “First-time Offence Warning” have been more appropriate in the interests of encouraging repeat visits to Chester?

Many people I know have had similar “rants” over the years, but why do we just sit back and take it?

Chester, United...
Level Contributor
3,084 posts
163 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 24 hour parking in chester

I am very sorry to hear you had such a bad experience in Chester which all the locals know has a parking problem, which I might say is better than it was a few years ago. There is a 'free after three' scheme at most car parks. My son has been clamped very near to where you are, we are aware of it all.

As I pointed out to him, it is a good idea to read the signs and look for double yellow lines.

Probably not a lot I can say in recompense, it doesn't sound as if you will be back, shame you didn't post before to get some info on the place before you came rather than making your first post a rant.

UK
Destination Expert
for Chester
Level Contributor
3,662 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 24 hour parking in chester

I too am very sorry to hear that you did not enjoy your visit to Chester and felt that you should use your first post for such a negative report. It would seem that your unfortunate parking experience coloured your opinion of the city, though you admit that that incident was to a large extent of your own making.

As Penny W has pointed out it is possible to park for free after 3pm and for as little as £3 for the whole day if you do some research into car parks before you come

Chester is a historic city with old buildings.. Most visitors appreciate this aspect of the city and do not expect big town attractions . We never claim to have the range of night life or evening entertainment offered by cities such as Manchester. However, Chester was far from ´mostly closed¨this weekend . It was Heritage Open Weekend and there were numerous free tours and visits to many of our unique buildings not normally open to the public. Full details were available at the Tourist Information Centre to anyone who made enquiries as to what there was to do over the weekend

There are numerous good restaurants and cafes in Chester catering for all tastes and budgets and it is not true that you cannot get a cup of coffee after 5pm.

I hope that others will not be unduly influenced by your comments but will come to see for themselves the uniqueness of Chester- and if they post on TP beforehand we will happily provide whatever information they need for an enjoyable stay.

Edited: 11 September 2011, 20:49
England
Level Contributor
1,148 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: 24 hour parking in chester

jools.... sorry to read about your clamping experience, as hard as it is, do not let it cloud your views about Chester. I say ditto to Penny and Chesterbuff and their remarks, come back and enjoy the good things that the city has to offer.

Get answers to your questions about Chester