We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Chester in about 7 hours

Holden...
Level Contributor
12 posts
119 reviews
Save Topic
Chester in about 7 hours

Hi We (three adult women) will be driving from Corwen to Chester on May 15 for a day trip. We need to leave by about 1700 hrs to be near the Manchester Airport for the night. This will be the 13th day of a trip through north Wales and parts of Shropshire. We wanted to spend the night but couldn't work it out.

First, where would be the best place to park the car, thinking about traveling on in the late afternoon.

Second, which bus is better, the Heritage Bus or the Hop-on-Hop off?

Third, should we take a boat trip?

Fourth, what else is manditory other than the Rows, Cathedral and the Castle?

Thsnk you so much

UK
Destination Expert
for Chester
Level Contributor
3,769 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Chester in about 7 hours

It is only 40 minutes to Manchester Airport so please check again about staying the night.

A boat trip on the river or an afternoon tea or dinner cruise on the canal are both excellent ways to see a different side of the city.

Park and ride sites outside the city are the best place to park but if you want more detail on city centre parking at reasonable rates then post again for driving details.

You can´t get in the castle (which is a bit of a disappointment at present) but get views of it from the Walls which you must walk around- at least part of the way. Also the amphitheatre

Difficult to decide between the two buses.They both take you past much the same places

England
Level Contributor
1,160 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Chester in about 7 hours

Park and Ride is good, but how many of you ? There is all day parking at The Northgate car park. for £3 (unless it has changed recently). As for canal vs river, as good as the dinner cruise is, you do not get the vista that the river boats offer, canal cruise is good if you are likely to stay over, and you treat it as your evenings full arrangements.Down on The Groves (river side), is a nice experience, especially if weather is kind to you. So much to do, so little time.Also as previously stated, Manchester is a straight run from town, doable in 40 minutes.

Edited: 05 April 2012, 17:23
England
Level Contributor
1,160 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Chester in about 7 hours

Ooops, have re read .....there are 3 of you (as you so obviously stated), I would consider Northgate car park. Park & ride is good, but it adds to your time scale, albeit not by a great deal, depends on how confident you are, how familiar are you with the area ?

Edited: 05 April 2012, 17:47
Holden...
Level Contributor
12 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Chester in about 7 hours

Thank you so much.

Yes, I realize that the airport is only about 40 minutes but we will need to be there by 7. Since I am somewhat of a worry wart about that type thing I will only feel comfortable being right down the street.

I have no problem driving in town if that is the easiest way.

chesterbuff, I am so sorry to hear the castle is closed but we will definitely walk on the walls.

MrsPuddle, we are 3 women.

All the cruises sound great. We will have to look into them. If either of you have any other suggestions, I would love to hear them

Liverpool, United...
Destination Expert
for Liverpool
Level Contributor
16,287 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Chester in about 7 hours

The Heritage Bus looks like more fun - I haven't been on it, but it's an old (very old!) double deck vintage bus.

Hopefully the Roman Gardens will be open in time for May - they were closed when I was in Chester a couple of weeks ago. They are right next to the amphitheatre and alongside the city wall.

If you want a swift pint (I know what you ladies are like!!) go to the Bear & Billet or the Brewery Tap in Lower Bridge Street. Or at the top of Lower Bridge Street is the Falcon.

Edited: 05 April 2012, 21:03
UK
Destination Expert
for Chester
Level Contributor
3,769 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Chester in about 7 hours

MrsP is right that with 3 of you it is cheaper to park in the city centre. If you let us know where you are coming from we can give directions to one of the cheaper car parks.

What is left of the medieval castle is not normally open to the public. What day will you be in Chester? Some days there are special tours that do have access.

I agree that the river cruises give better views overall but on the canal cruise you see the 2000 year old walls towering above the boat. A very impressive sight.

Holden...
Level Contributor
12 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Chester in about 7 hours

Matt_1376..........Sounds good to me. We will definitely want a pint during our last day in the UK. I hope Roman gardens are open too.

chesterbuff............We will be coming from Corwen hopefully by 10 or so. We will be in Chester on Monday 14 May. I love the sound of both cruises. We will have to decide. I would love directions to the best car parks. So much to see. Wish we could have stayed over.

UK
Destination Expert
for Chester
Level Contributor
3,769 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Chester in about 7 hours

From Corwen you will enter Chester over the Grosvenor Bridge (race course on left .Good view of what left of medieval castle wall ahead to right).

At big roundabout after bridge follow A5268 signs (signs I think to some or all of Manchester Warrington M53, M56)

Carry on through several sets of traffic lights until reach another large roundabout with fountain in the centre. Go straight on here (still A5268 to same places).

After few yards turn left after shops (Multiyork, abed shop and a big wine store)Northgate Leisure Centre is on right corner of this street. Do not go into its carpark but turn right at next street and then right again into public Pay and Display car park. This car park costs only £3 all day.

To get to city centre walk back to fountains roundabout and down Northgate street through the Northgate. (Best view of original Roman walls is to the left along canal, just before the Northgate) On Northgate Street you will pass Bluebell Inn , oldest inn in Chester, the Pied Bull a stage coach inn both on right. On left you will see 2 medieval gateways into the abbey precinct. Town Hall is a little further along with Visitor Centre to its left. They can direct you to anywhere else you may wish to go.

Holden...
Level Contributor
12 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Chester in about 7 hours

Wow chesterbuff, what fabulous directions!!! Thank you so much. This will make my life so much easier.

Chester, United...
Level Contributor
3,212 posts
169 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Chester in about 7 hours

IMO a walk around Chester city will give you a better idea of what is what in the centre than a bus ride, the centre is pedestrianised so they can't get down those streets. Depends on what you want to look at. You can walk round the walls in less than an hour. Pick up a map from Tourist Information in Town Hall square and then pick up the walls by te Cathedral and Bell Tower and walk round, heading into the middle where you want to. We think it is a very pretty city with lots of attractions. Have a great trip!

Get answers to your questions about Chester
Recent Conversations