We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

how to get from liverpool airport to chester

Which Chester hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
3 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
how to get from liverpool airport to chester

using public transport bus or train or both and at what cost?

Liverpool, United...
Destination Expert
for Liverpool
Level Contributor
13,960 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: how to get from liverpool airport to chester

Quickest way is the AirLink 501 or the Arriva 80A or 86A bus to Liverpool South Parkway station. (Every 10 mins or less!)

From there a train on the City Lime to Lime Street station where you connect to a Wirral Line train on Merseyrail to Chester.

Or from South Parkway go on the Northern Line (Merseyrail) to Moorfields (Liverpool Central is closed for 6 months - yawn!) where you can also pick up a Wirral Line train on the Merseyrail to Chester.

Cheapest way to do it is to buy a "ALL ZONES SAVEAWAY" (make a note of it) that will only cost £4.70 for an adult.

This ticket is valid on ALL buses AND trains mentioned above and can be purchased at Liverpool JLA. (I think at the Tourist Info desk).

If you end up paying cash to a bus driver or buying a ticket at a train station then you have gone wrong somewhere! ;-)

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
3 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: how to get from liverpool airport to chester

thanks for your reply, so get 'ALL ZONES SAVEAWAY' ticket at the airport for £4.70, it will cover bus from airport to train station and train to Chester sounds extradinarily cheap! It hardly covers return journey? However the train does seem slightly complicated especially when I'm not familiar with the area, is it necessary to change trains? we will have luggage and wonder is there much walking involved? Would a bus not be more direct ?

why would I use Lime street station when bus drops off at Liverpool South Parkway station?

UK
Destination Expert
for Chester
Level Contributor
3,561 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: how to get from liverpool airport to chester

There is no direct bus or train to Chester unfortunately. You must change in the city centre. You could take a bus into the centre rather than to South Parkway but the bus would leave you some distance from the train stations mentioned. Less walking with the train option.

Liverpool, United...
Destination Expert
for Liverpool
Level Contributor
13,960 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: how to get from liverpool airport to chester

Yes - All Zones Saveaway is only £4.70 and can be used on all bus and train services on Merseyside - that is Liverpool, over to St Helens, up to Southport, the Wirral etc. And...

...only the trains from the Wirral boundary down to Chester.

But yes - only £4.70 and it's valid for 24 hours.

You can even use it on the Mersey Ferries if you break your journey at one of the terminals (Pier Head, Seacombe or Woodside).

There is no direct bus that you can use the ticket on that will take you all the way to Chester.

South Parkway is in the south of Liverpool, as is JLA.

You need to get a train from South Parkway to either Lime Street (using the City Line) or to Moorfields (using the Northern Line) to change to a Wirral Line train to take you to Chester.

If you don't fancy getting a bus to South Parkway and getting a train from there to the city centre to change for a train to the Wirral you can also get the AirLink 500 (not AirLink 501 which only goes to S. Parkway) from JLA to the city centre and get off by Lime Street station (Skelhorne Street bus stop) to pick up a train to Chester.

I know it sounds complicated but really it isn't.

This map should make it more clear: www.merseyrail.org/assets/network2.html

There is another way to get to Chester but it would be more expensive and you wouldn't be able to use a All Zones Saveaway.

Get the bus to South Parkway, then a train to Warrington Central, walk across town (about 15 mins) to Warrington Bank Quay and get a train from there to Chester.

Edited: 08 June 2012, 23:05
Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
3 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: how to get from liverpool airport to chester

Thank you so much for taking the time to give such a comprehensive reply to my query. However, after all of that I am still a bit anxious of getting a bus, then train, then having to get another train. This would be on top of 2.30 a.m. start, 1 hour 30 mins to airport, 30 mins transfer from car park, 1.30 mins before boarding etc etc. I now believe their is a direct bus to Chester the Arriva 401 goes from Sir Thomas Street. I will do a bit more searching before making my decision. Once again thanks a million.

Liverpool, United...
Destination Expert
for Liverpool
Level Contributor
13,960 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: how to get from liverpool airport to chester

"I now believe their is a direct bus to Chester the Arriva 401 goes from Sir Thomas Street"

Don't know about the Arriva 401 but there is also the First Buses # 1 from Liverpool city centre to Chester.

firstgroup.com/ukbus/…

But that still goes from Liverpool city centre and takes ONE AND A HALF HOURS to get to Chester.

The Merseyrail train from Lime Street (or Moorfields) to Chester only takes about 45 minutes.

AND you still need to get from JLA - which is 7 miles away in south Liverpool - to the city centre of Liverpool which means you STILL need to get a bus or train (or combination of bus and train) from JLA to Liverpool city centre !!

And if you DID get the First Buses 1 or the Arriva 401 you wouldn't be able to use the £4.70 Saveaway ticket on those buses.

As I said above you can only use it on a train - the Merseyrail Wirral Line - from the Wirral boundary to Chester, not a bus all the way from JLA to Chester.

It really is not that difficult.

Okay - let's do it the simple way.

You get a taxi from JLA to the centre of Liverpool which will cost about £20, then you get a train from Lime Street to Chester costing another £4.70, but that's only if you ask for the Saveaway ticket, otherwise they will charge you £6.20 single on the train...

...which means it would be cheaper and make more sense just to use public transport all the way from JLA to Chester and buy a Saveaway costing £4.70.

P.S. where are you staying in Chester? You will probably need a bus or a taxi at that end too !

Edited: 09 June 2012, 21:30
7. Re: how to get from liverpool airport to chester

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 June 2013, 22:16
Get answers to your questions about Chester