We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Chester this weekend with my girlfriend

Leeds, United...
9 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Chester this weekend with my girlfriend

Hi guys, planning on going to Chester for the day this Saturday with my girlfriend. We are travelling from Leeds. We have never been before but heard it's similar to York, and we love York! We could do with some ideas of things to do as we no pretty much nothing about the area

UK
Destination Expert
for Chester
Level Contributor
3,696 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Chester this weekend with my girlfriend

Walk the Walls- most complete circuit in Britain,. This weekend is Heritage weekend when lots of places are free so go into the towers on the walls which are not aways open. Look at and shop in the Rows - unique two tiered medieval streets. See the largest amphitheatre in Britain. The cathedral was a medieval abbey and is said to be the best example of monastic buildings left in the country. Then there are river and canal trips, walks by the river, quirky shops in the Rows.........

Enjoy your visit. Most visitors are surprised at how much there is to see when they hear so little about Chester compared to York or Bath

Edited: 11 September 2013, 13:49
Liverpool, United...
Destination Expert
for Liverpool
Level Contributor
15,231 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Chester this weekend with my girlfriend

There's some nice pubs in very old buildings too - a bit like in York.

The Bear & Billet and the Brewery Tap on Lower Bridge Street are worth checking, as is the Albion and the Pied Bull.

Bizarrly, there's also a Liverpool FC store in Chester. You might want to avoid that! ;-p

Chester, United...
Level Contributor
3,129 posts
166 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Chester this weekend with my girlfriend

Any special interests either of you have? We may be able to point you in the right direction.

I am recently back from very good lunch at the Artichoke on the canal, recommended for a relaxed vibe.

Chester, United...
Level Contributor
4 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Chester this weekend with my girlfriend

I hate to say this, as a Wakefield lass myself, but Chester beats York on so many fronts. Walk the Walls - 3 of the towers are open this weekend, a real treat; pick up a leaflet about the heritage weekend and explore some of the buildings open to the public - Bishop Lloyd's Palace on Watergate St is a must. And it's very near a wine shop in a 13th century cellar..... Check out places where there's live music - Alexander's and Telford's are 2 good examples. And of course, you MUST go on a ghost tour - Chester is the most actively haunted town in the country. Book online or at the VIC. Enjoy!

Leeds, United...
9 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Chester this weekend with my girlfriend

Thanks guys, that has really helped me out!. We really enjoy discovering "hidden gems" so anything that will make us say wow! I was considering maybe hiring a boat out for an hour, visiting central perk, has anyone been? We also enjoy eating at traditional yet romantic eateries if anyone can recommend anything?

Liverpool, United...
Destination Expert
for Liverpool
Level Contributor
15,231 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Chester this weekend with my girlfriend

I've been to Central Perk in Liverpool (not my choice!) and it was good, if you like Friends!

I assume the one in Chester is exactly the same.

UK
Destination Expert
for Chester
Level Contributor
3,696 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Chester this weekend with my girlfriend

Just a thought..... Is this a day visit or are you planning to stay over? There is a race meeting this weekend so if you want accommodation and have not booked yet you need to do so immediately.

As for Hidden gems as well as the suggestions from Walkingtours... you must visit St John's Church (the first cathedral of Chester) by the amphitheatre, Saxon/medieval and with loads of historical connections.Even if you don't do a ghost tour explore around the ruins of the half of the church abandoned when it lost its cathedral/collegiate church status. Wander down to the river from there and see the Anchorite's Cell where King Harold, who according to local legend did not die from his 'eyeful of arrow' at the Battle of Hastings, lived out his days as a hermit in Chester where his wife had relatives.

As for your meal The Architect or Artichoke by the canal (recommended in Post 3) are getting good reviews at the moment. You will definitely need to book in advance on a race day though wherever you are thinking of going.

You will have a great time in Chester whatever you decide to do. Please report back to us once you have been to say what you finally saw and did

Leeds, United...
9 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Chester this weekend with my girlfriend

Thank you. I'm only going for the day. I will be sure to report back to you and let you know how I get on. Going to sit down and put a bit of an itinerary together a bit later so ill post it on here and would love to hear your opinion on it

Leeds, United...
9 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Chester this weekend with my girlfriend

Right, here is what I have planned so far:

When we first get there, i'm going to take her to look at and shop in the Rows, from there, walk to the Cathedral and have a look inside. From there, we will probably go for something to eat, iv not decided where yet, it's a difficult choice lol. After lunch I was thinking to go and walk the walls- and pop into the towers also. After that I was thinking of hiring a boat for an hour and take a trip down the river (the weather is meant to be alright!) We will then probably go somewhere for a drink, again, unsure where (If anyone can recommend a traditional yet romantic pub that'll be great, thanks.

Could still do with a couple of other ideas if anyone can help fill our day up, it'll be greatly appreciated.

UK
Destination Expert
for Chester
Level Contributor
3,696 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Chester this weekend with my girlfriend

You definitely have enough there to fill your day as Chester is a great place for wandering, popping to places on the Rows especially historic buildings that will be open for free this weekend. Walking the Walls takes the best part of two hours and a wander by the river is well worthwhile.

Traditional yet romantic pub is a bit tricky. Not Iikely to find roaring log fires but Bear and Billet is certainly traditional. Remember it is a race day so finding a place without a booking will not be easy. Book at the Architect or Artichoke if you can still get in. Not pubs but well thought of.

Get answers to your questions about Chester