We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Chester this weekend with my girlfriend

Leeds, United...
9 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Chester this weekend with my girlfriend

Hi guys, planning on going to Chester for the day this Saturday with my girlfriend. We are travelling from Leeds. We have never been before but heard it's similar to York, and we love York! We could do with some ideas of things to do as we no pretty much nothing about the area

Chester
Level Contributor
2,590 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Chester this weekend with my girlfriend

Hi,

from the train station you could walk straight up City Rd and at the top cross the roundabout or take the subway straight across ( right for the city centre) to the Grosvenor Park (10 min walk) which has views across the river, then exit near St John's church which is next to the Roman Amphitheatre and from here you will see the city wall. Just before the walls is the Roman Gardens, if you go through the walls to the traffic lights the road to the left/ right is Upper and Lower Bridge St and the rows start on Upper Bridge St, Lower Bridge St leads to the river and some of the previous mentioned pubs. When returning to the train station you could follow the canal and when you get to Harkers pub ( good pub) the steps outside lead up to City Road and you are only a few mins from the station.

Keith.

Liverpool, United...
Destination Expert
for Liverpool
Level Contributor
16,287 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Chester this weekend with my girlfriend

"anyone can recommend a traditional yet romantic pub that'll be great"

Bear & Billet or the Brewery Tap, as I mentioned earlier; although I think the Brewery Tap will be slightly more "romantic". and will be slightly less busy than the Bear & Billet.

The pub is housed in the 16th century banqueting hall of Gamul House, and the bar is set into the massive old fireplace. http://www.the-tap.co.uk/gamul-house/

Read the reviews on the TA website.

Edited: 13 September 2013, 11:14
Liverpool, United...
Destination Expert
for Liverpool
Level Contributor
16,287 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Chester this weekend with my girlfriend

P.S. the Bear & Billet is part of the Okells (Isle of Man) Brewery chain, while the Brewery Tap is the, erm, brewery tap of Spitting Feathers Brewery down the road from Chester in the village of Waverton.

Chester, United...
Level Contributor
3,212 posts
169 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Chester this weekend with my girlfriend

Close to the Cathedral there is Joseph Benjamin (highly rated) in Northgate Street, or Chez Jules for French bistro eating almost opposite, and the Coachhouse in Town Hall Square was good last time I was there. Have a great trip!

London, United...
Level Contributor
255 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Chester this weekend with my girlfriend

Take her to the mulberry outlet in York she will love it ,

UK
Destination Expert
for Chester
Level Contributor
3,769 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Chester this weekend with my girlfriend

"Take her to the mulberry outlet in York she will love it ,"

What has that got to do with a post about sights and eating places in Chester?

17. Re: Chester this weekend with my girlfriend

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 September 2014, 05:16
Get answers to your questions about Chester
Recent Conversations