We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Day trip and possible overnight stay

Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
42 posts
73 reviews
Save Topic
Day trip and possible overnight stay

Hi Everyone,

Im planning on a trip to Chester with my partner as we have passed through before to go to Cheshire Oaks but want to go again to have a good look around Chester, do some christmas shopping and also visit the Victorian Christmas Market which I see starts on the 21st November.

We were planning to go for the day and return home early evening but I would quite like to suprise my other half and book a hotel for us to stay the night. I would like the hotel to be near the city centre (but around ten mins walk from the city centre would be fine)

Ive looked at the Premier in which is £93 and the Crowne Plaza which is £135.00 for one night on the 23rd of November which is a Saturday so I want something that would be in that price range but I was just wondering if there are any hidden gems or boutique hotels that I should look at?

Out of the two im tempted to book the Crowne Plaza even though its a bit more it might be nicer but which one is closest to the shops ect?

Cheshire - England
Level Contributor
680 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Day trip and possible overnight stay

As I live in cheshire I have only ever stayed in two hotels in Chester and one of these was the Crown Plaza. In my opinion it is situated in a great place in that it is actually within the city walls and you can be out of the hotel and on the rows in Watergate Street in less than two minutes. The Premier Inn is out side the city walls but having said that it would only take a few mins to walk into the shops.

As to hidden gems - http://www.recorderhotel.co.uk - us actually on the city walls and while I have never been in the rooms on the front that overlook the river must have fantastic views.

Destination Expert
for Chester
Level Contributor
3,858 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Day trip and possible overnight stay

I agree that the Recorder hotel is in a superb place but the river view rooms are around.£200 a night.

Edgar House is very close to the Recorder Hotel and also on the walls. http://edgar-house-chester.h-rez.com/ They seem to have one room at £145 left for your date.

Oddfellows on Lower Bridge Street is worth considering. www.oddfellowschester.com I believe rooms there are around £145 too

Chester is very compact and all these hotels are within the walls. Unless you start to consider hotels at the station end of City Road or on Hoole Road or the bigger ones such as the Grosvenor Pulford or Doubletree by Hilton that are a mile or so outside the city proximity to the shops is not an issue

Chester, United...
Level Contributor
3,340 posts
173 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Day trip and possible overnight stay

I remember someone asking a similar question and the Coachhouse was mentioned and they had a brilliant time, couldn't be more central. Don't know about the Commercial Hotel, that is central but I think has a lively bar which could be a plus or a minus.

Level Contributor
1,161 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Day trip and possible overnight stay

Ditto to previous posts....also Pied Bull,old traditional pub and good food .One of my favourites the Mill hotel, within comfortable walking distance, but not as central as some already mentioned.

5. Re: Day trip and possible overnight stay

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 October 2014, 05:19
Get answers to your questions about Chester