We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Visiting Hadrian's Wall from Chester

Venice, Florida
Level Contributor
8 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Visiting Hadrian's Wall from Chester

Is it possible to take the train to Carlisle from Chester, visit Hadrian's Wall and travel back to Chester that night? Or better to spend the night in Carlisle?

Chester Cathedral
Sacred & Religious Sites, Historic Sites, Churches & Cathedrals, Points of Interest & Landmarks
England, United...
Level Contributor
5,173 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Visiting Hadrian's Wall from Chester

It all depends on how much of the wall you want to see. It is 73 miles long in total. Here is a link to the section around Carlisle:

www.discovercarlisle.co.uk › lifestyle › attractions‎

Kingston-upon-Hull...
Level Contributor
3,908 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Visiting Hadrian's Wall from Chester

Hi LarryandRegina.

I walked Hadrian's Wall 2 years ago and to be honest I don't think they is much of the wall to see in Carlisle .Most of the "good parts" of the wall is to the east of Carlisle. Can you spend the night out? If so why not stay at twice brewed. (see my review of the B&B we stayed in)

Also here is the link to my photos of the wall walk in thumbnail. If you click on the photos it will go to full size with a map under each photo showing where along the wall it was taken. Day 3 was interesting after it snowed all night.

www.geograph.org.uk/search.php?i=46931427

Kingston-upon-Hull...
Level Contributor
3,908 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Visiting Hadrian's Wall from Chester

Sorry should have said Once Brewed, here is the reviews

tripadvisor.co.uk/Hotel_Review-g1068896-d142…

You can get a bus from Carlisle.

Chester, United...
Level Contributor
3,284 posts
173 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Visiting Hadrian's Wall from Chester

We visited it by car, there is a lot to see towards the Eastern end, I wouldn't think a day trip by train from Chester is really feasible.

Chester
Level Contributor
2,743 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Visiting Hadrian's Wall from Chester

I would say no. I think the first part of the wall would be at least 10 miles from Carlisle and the better sections are to the East. Any way how much will you see on foot, it would be better to hire a car for the day and stop at sections that interest you. Chester's Roman walls should keep you occupied.

Keith.

Durham, United...
Level Contributor
308 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Visiting Hadrian's Wall from Chester

It takes over 2 hours by train from Chester to Carlisle, so there's time for a quick visit to Hadrian's Wall but you wouldn't have time to see much. As stated previously the best parts to visit are an hour's journey to the east of Carlisle. Having a car would make it easier. There is a tourist bus service from Carlisle that calls at the sites along the Wall but the buses aren't very frequent and they only run during the summer. The timetable for last year is on northumberlandnationalpark.org.uk/visiting/p…

Buses run daily between June and August, and at weekends between about May and October. The schedule can change from year to year. This year's times probably won't be published until March/April. If you picked a suitable day and left Chester about 7am you could probably catch the first bus out of Carlisle at 9.20am. That would get you to Housesteads about 11am, giving you a few hours to look around. The timetable should allow time to visit another site such as Vindolanda. A return bus about 3pm would get you back to Carlisle for 5pm to catch the train. There is a later bus but its days of operation are limited.

This means a long day and is doing it in a big hurry so there won't be anything like the time you need to do it justice as there is a lot to see, so it would be better to stay over. If you decide to stay overnight it would make sense to choose somewhere east of Carlisle, such as around Hexham or Haltwhistle where it will be a shorter journey to access the Wall.

7. Re: Visiting Hadrian's Wall from Chester

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 February 2015, 05:30
Get answers to your questions about Chester
Recent Conversations