We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How long to allow in Chester

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
323 posts
31 reviews
Save Topic
How long to allow in Chester

Hello,

I'm planning on doing a day trip from London to Chester. How much time should I allow? Would four hours be enough or would you recommend a little longer? Asking as I need to book trains and some tickets are cheaper/dearer than others depending on time.

Thank you.

UK
Destination Expert
for North Wales
Level Contributor
4,799 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How long to allow in Chester

Well if you only have a day then four hours will let you see the City Centre, the timbered buildings, a short stroll on the walls perhaps a sandwich by the river , but that is just the shortest day trip very brief.

I would aim for longer and an overnighter but if you only have a day then go for it.

Chester, United...
Level Contributor
3,111 posts
166 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How long to allow in Chester

The train takes just over two hours Chester-London, if you avoid peak time you will arrive in time for lunch and then I guess head back in the evening. That will give you time for a wander around and an overview of the place but longer would be better!

UK
Destination Expert
for Chester
Level Contributor
3,678 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How long to allow in Chester

Four hours is definitely not enough to do Chester any sort of justice.

If you cannot stay overnight and make almost two full days of it then come on one of the earliest trains and go back on one of the latest - both of which should be available on Advance fares

PM me or post again if you want ideas on how to make the most of your limited time in Chester

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
323 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How long to allow in Chester

Thank you Leuca, I didn't think four hours was enough.

Penny, thank you, I was looking at getting the train back about 4pm.

Chesterbuff, I'd appreciate your ideas for when I'm there. I really would love to stay overnight, but time and budget dictate otherwise. One thing I am very interested in doing is going on the 1924 vintage bus. Being a history buff and having liked "old" things even as a young child, this is my type of thing. Other than that, and apart from walking around, any help you can provide will be great.

Edited: 22 May 2014, 18:53
UK
Destination Expert
for Chester
Level Contributor
3,678 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How long to allow in Chester

The bus is interesting in itself but you thave to realise that the best part of Chester is pedestrianised so tour buses cannot get into the centre, except to a limited extent on Sunday.

You really must see The Rows. Thes e are unique two tiered medieval shopping streets. Watergate Street in particular has fascinating buildings with medieval cellars and first floor walkways and interior structures but often with Tudor, Jacobean or Georgian facades and other features.

All the streets are full of black and white tiimbered buildings, Georgian town houses and mansions, quirky little alleyways (try to find Godstall Lane) and so much more

The almost two mile circuit of our Roman/medieval walls is the best and most complete in Britain. You really must walk some, if not all, of them for a taste of the largest Roman legionary fortress North of theAlps which is what Chester was

The cathedral, a medieval abbey, is interesting- try the new Cathedral at Height tour for wonderful views of the city and surrounding countryside. The bus will go past the Amphitheatre and St john's church but you ,must go in the latter. It is a gem Founded in AD689 , the origial medieval cathedral of Chester, today it is the oldest Norman church in Northen England with Saxon crosses and medieval tombstones from the churchyard displayed in the church and a wonderful medieval wall painting of StJohn on oe of the pillars.

I could go on and on. If you are a history buff you cannot do Chester in a day.....

Chester, United...
Level Contributor
3,111 posts
166 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: How long to allow in Chester

I book my train tickets through trainline.com who give the best discounts imv. I would warn you that peak travel is between 6-9am and then 3-6pm so you would probably get a better priced train back after 6pm which would give you a little bit more time. It does, if you don't mind my saying so, seem a long way to come for a bus ride...! There are lots more interesting historic things to do in Chester which Chesterbuff has mentioned above. What time of the year are you planning to come?

UK
Destination Expert
for Chester
Level Contributor
3,678 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: How long to allow in Chester

Penny, Trainline don 't give any discounts that are not available through Virgin and they charge a booking and Card fees which Birgin don't.

Www.nationalrail.co.uk gives a good overview of all train companies and when you decide which train you want they automatically transfer you to the correct company

8. Re: How long to allow in Chester

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 May 2015, 05:16
Get answers to your questions about Chester