We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Chester races

Birmingham, England
Level Contributor
56 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
Chester races

Hi all ,

I'm off to Chester on sat 28th June for the races . Only going for the day as stopping in Liverpool . About to book tickets but wondering what stand to go in . It's a mini stag , average age is 40 , not too raucous and won't be in fancy dress but obviously wanting a good laugh and a few beers .

Any advice would be welcome on what enclosure to go in. I'm aware of the price etc but wondered if any locals or visitors could help . Is there a dress code ?Oh and any good pubs before and for a few after would help .

Thanks guys .

Mentioned in this post
Liverpool
Liverpool
Merseyside, UK
Sheffield
Level Contributor
5,205 posts
155 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Chester races

Oh yes, there is a dress code and enforced - tie and all. Look at their website.

England
Level Contributor
1,176 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Chester races

Dress code only applies to Count Stand & Long Room. I suggest either the course or Tatts, weigh up the price difference and also the weather, there is no cover on the course. IMHO, on a dry day, Tatts is as good as it gets, and you can access over to the paddock side.

As for pubs etc. you are spoilt for choice, but be aware town will be very busy.It depend on your personal tastes,as that will dictate what is recommended.

Edited: 23 June 2014, 17:52
Birmingham, England
Level Contributor
56 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Chester races

Thanks both .

Think we will go for the cheap seats in the dee enclosure , hope it isn't raining !! I'm sure we will find a bar in town .

Lancashire, United...
Level Contributor
18,284 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Chester races

How do you plan on getting from Liverpool to Chester?

You can each buy a Merseyrail Day Ranger ticket which costs £4.80 and will get you on the train to and from Chester.

Trains are every 15 mins from Liverpool Central and journey takes about 45 mins.

From Chester railway station you could then walk to Chester Racecourse and stop off at a few pubs on the way to and from the races.

I can recommend some decent pubs in Chester if you want me to. ;-)

Mentioned in this post
Liverpool
Liverpool
Merseyside, UK
Chester Racecourse
Chester Racecourse
1,020 Reviews
Chester, UK
England
Level Contributor
1,176 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Chester races

I personally would not choose Dee Stand, it is quite a small area and gets very crowded.

Edited: 23 June 2014, 22:25
Birmingham, England
Level Contributor
56 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Chester races

We are getting the train and the Mersey rail ticket looks a good deal .

Yes a few pub ideas would be appreciated .

We may go to the Dee enclosure as it's cheap so can save our money for our nights out in Liverpool . We are thinking of booking marco Pierre white as we are stopping in the hotel there .

Mentioned in this post
Liverpool
Liverpool
Merseyside, UK
Chester
Level Contributor
2,936 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Chester races

Opposite Chester railway station is the Town Crier and it has a beer garden but there are quite a few pubs not far from the course.

Keith.

Mentioned in this post
The Town Crier
The Town Crier
259 Reviews
Chester, UK
Lancashire, United...
Level Contributor
18,284 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Chester races

The following pubs are all on the walking route from the station to the racecourse and are the ones I would recommend:

Marlborough Arms on John Street.

The Falcon at the top of Lower Bridge Street.

Walk down Lower Bridge Street towards the River Dee and half way down on the right is the Brewery Tap, and at the bottom on the right just next to the city wall is the Bear and Billet.

Even the Square Bottle (Wetherspoons) on Foregate Street which you pass on you way from the station to the Marlborough Tavern is half decent.

Mentioned in this post
Marlborough Arms
Marlborough Arms
33 Reviews
Chester, UK
The Falcon
The Falcon
145 Reviews
Chester, UK
River Dee
River Dee
1,209 Reviews
Chester, UK
The Brewery Tap
The Brewery Tap
789 Reviews
Chester, UK
Chester, United...
Level Contributor
3,447 posts
173 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Chester races

The Falcon and the Brewery Tap, as well as being good pubs, are excellent historic Chester buildings.

Mentioned in this post
The Falcon
The Falcon
145 Reviews
Chester, UK
The Brewery Tap
The Brewery Tap
789 Reviews
Chester, UK
Chester, United...
Level Contributor
3,447 posts
173 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Chester races

Last night I went into the Cross Keys in Lower Bridge Street, almost opposite the Bear and Billet, and not far from the Brewery Tap, very pleasant it was too. Also, for the first time in 28 years of living in Chester, the Albion! Very quirky and welcoming.

Mentioned in this post
The Cross Keys
The Cross Keys
158 Reviews
Chester, UK
The Brewery Tap
The Brewery Tap
789 Reviews
Chester, UK
Albion
Albion
Mauritius