We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Chester during Christmas Eve and Christmas Day

Which Chester hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Save Topic
Chester during Christmas Eve and Christmas Day

I will be in Chester, England for Christmas Eve and Christmas Day. I was wondering what type (if any) attractions are open, and what there is to do during the day. I'm not sure if there are any parades/festivals or if pubs in general will be open and was wondering if you guys know of anything.

Thanks!

P n
Chester, United...
Level Contributor
41 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Chester during Christmas Eve and Christmas Day

Hi MaxDewyngaert

You wont find many actual attractions open on Christmas day anywhere, in fact i cant think of any, certainly not in Chester. On Christmas eve day most businesses are open as usual including attractions it just depends what type of things you are into.

For the last few years we have had what is called the Chester winter Wonderland, which last year was situated on the racecourse in Chester. I think it will be back this year and is good if you have children as you can meet santa and his reindeers and there are Christmas craft stalls and small rides and all feels very Christmassy. Not so much there if you have no children but could be worth a visit to soak up the atmosphere...there is often a bar there. This attraction will be open Christmas Eve.

The cathedral will be open which is beautiful and free of charge to enter. In the Roman gardens in Chester city centre they have an open air cinema, called 'Moonlight flicks'. On Christmas eve the film it appears the film 'Leon' is showing but you will need to book for this as it gets very busy. There is some info here about it visitchester.com/whats-on/moonlight-flicks-l…

Chester is a beautiful city with lots to see by just walking around. A walk by the river is beautiful, there are many really old pubs and eating places that will be open on Christmas eve and of course the walks can be done on Christmas day. There are no parades or festivals on on those two days you mention, they are on earlier in December i'm afraid. Chester zoo is open on Christmas Eve day if that's something if interest.

If i think of anything else i will post again, but if not have a great time!

Save Reply
2. Re: Chester during Christmas Eve and Christmas Day

Thanks for the reply!

I think it will actually be very nice to just explore on Christmas Day as the whole town will surely be in their homes for the majority of the day.

UK
Destination Expert
for Chester
Level Contributor
3,660 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Chester during Christmas Eve and Christmas Day

I think the date 31/12 on the website must be a mistake. The Moonlight F licks are a summer event. It would be much too cold at Christmas . Still lots to look at as you wander around on Christmas Day.

There is. 10.30 walking tour of the city every day including Christmas Day - from the VIC at the Town Hall. Also Christams services in the churches. the cathedral or St John's by the Amphitheatre would be particularly atmospheric

Chester, United...
Level Contributor
3,083 posts
159 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Chester during Christmas Eve and Christmas Day

I have just checked that website, Moonlight Flicks are definitely only on during the summer!

My experience of Christmas Eve is that things tend to slow down and things are quiet by mid afternoon, though hotels and pubs will be open. Christmas Day is very quiet I imagine, I have never been out on that day! Where are you staying? There might be something going on there. Churches and the Cathedral obviously will be open and decorations will be up.

Save Reply
5. Re: Chester during Christmas Eve and Christmas Day

I will be staying at the Grosvenor Place Guest House, which seems pretty close to the center of the town. That's true about the cathedral though, a Christmas service would be amazing to go to!

Chester, United...
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Chester during Christmas Eve and Christmas Day

Why would you want to visit Chester at this time? Surely New Year's Eve is much more appropriate.

7. Re: Chester during Christmas Eve and Christmas Day

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 September 2015, 06:16
Get answers to your questions about Chester