We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Attractions when driving from London to Chester

Which Chester hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
London, United...
Level Contributor
4,920 posts
73 reviews
Save Topic
Attractions when driving from London to Chester

Driving from London to Chester for a short break at the beginning of September. Any ideas for an interesting attraction or town to stop off at for a couple of hours on the way there or on the way back. Historic sites or gardens or just an attractive town or location would be fine. Also any good places to visit in the Chester area too. All ideas welcome. Thank you

london
Level Contributor
2,122 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Attractions when driving from London to Chester

I've stopped at Shugborough and enjoyed the visit ... it's signposted off the M6 and is easy enough to get to ... when I went I was heading southwards and followed the signs from the M6, but afterwards I went over to the A34 headed southwards through Cannock Chase to rejoin the M6 Toll at Cannock, it was a pretty drive

another place I've stopped was the Wedgwood Museum ... it's interesting if you're into china, they have an amazing collection there ... again it's signposted from the M6 and I got there easily enough, but getting back to the motorway afterwards was a bit more tricky ... the site is in the middle of the countryside and signposts back are non-existent so if you go there either make sure you have your satnav programmed or that you memorise how you got there

I usually go M1-M6-M6 toll -M6 when I go, but if you go via the M40-M5-M6 there's always Warwick Castle and Kenilworth Castle as well

or, of course, you could leave the M6, go along the M54 to Telford (plenty of museums there) or Shrewsbury (gorgeous place) then afterwards head north to Chester on the A roads, it's a lovely drive but would obviously add a lot of time to your journey

UK
Destination Expert
for Chester
Level Contributor
3,632 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Attractions when driving from London to Chester

So many things to see and do in and around Chester that it is difficult to know where to start.

If you like historic house and gardens then consider Erddig near Wrexham, Dunham Massey , Tatton Park, Quarry Bank Mill or Speke Hall near Liverpool (all NT)

For gardens look at www.visitcheshire.com website for some ideas on Cheshire's Gardens of Distinction .

Have a look at Daresbury (just along the M56) the birthlace of Lewis Carroll or Port Sunlight on the Wirral with its Lady Lever Art Gallery. For something different try the Boat Museum at Ellesmere Port or Anderton Boat Lift where you can take a trip boat down the lift or Jodrell Bank which now has acres of interesting gardens to wander through

Or just stay closer to Chester. Walk along the river, especially on the other bank which will take you down to Eccleston- or walk the Chester Mile which was the Duke of Westminster's former driveway to Eaton Hall. Take a trip on the river, take the Cathedral at Heights tour or one of the many walking tours of the city which really will open your eyes to all Chester has to offer.

Don't know when exactly you are coming but if your visit coincides with Heritage Open Weekend (11th-15th) you will find many fascinating places open just for the weekend or others that normally charge that are free. Chester is full of hidden nooks and crannies that you will be able to discover then

Edited: 21 August 2014, 13:08
Chester, United...
Level Contributor
3,066 posts
159 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Attractions when driving from London to Chester

Dunham Massey mentioned above (National Trust property) has a fascinating reconstruction of when it was a hospital for soldiers during World War 1. It has been featured on a few TV programmes and is well worth a visit. There are gardens and grounds too. On the same theme the Chester Military Museum is a real eye opener.

On the road up there is Trentham Gardens near Stoke which I think is signposted from the M6.

London, United...
Level Contributor
4,920 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Attractions when driving from London to Chester

Three excellent responses. Thank you all.

Chester
Level Contributor
2,377 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Attractions when driving from London to Chester

Hi David,

just to add to these great responses you have had. Iron Bridge near Telford and The Lady Lever art gallery about 20 mins from Chester at Port Sunlight. They have a great collection of Wedgewood and ceramics among other things. I also Like Erddig as mentioned above.

Keith.

London, United...
Level Contributor
4,920 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Attractions when driving from London to Chester

Thank you Keith. Enough obviously to fill three days with ease

Oxfordshire
Level Contributor
2,613 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Attractions when driving from London to Chester

The place that never seems to get mentioned on these lists is Boscobel House and the ruins of Whiteladies Priory, just off the A5, a few miles NW of its intersection with the M6.

Boscobel is the site of the oaktree Charles II hid in, and the ancestor of all those Royal Oak pubs England's littered with. The original oak's gg daughter is generally agreed to be still in the grounds - though like many oaks it's vulnerable to freak weather.

Mug up on the story of how Charles got there, and te role of the nearby Whiteladies becomes apparent. h

London, United...
Level Contributor
4,920 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Attractions when driving from London to Chester

Interesting. Will I be tempted I wonder to buy one of their oak saplings for the far end of my garden?

Liverpool, United...
Destination Expert
for Liverpool
Level Contributor
14,537 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Attractions when driving from London to Chester

Beeston Castle and Delemere Forest could be combined with a day trip to the Anderton Boat Lift if the weather is nice.

And Llangollen and the Horseshoe Pass would make a nice drive across the border, although I actually prefer Worlds End. Worth the drive if you can find the single track road leading out from the north side of Llangollen. ;-)

Or if you're feeling energetic go for a ramble up Moel Famau, the highest peak in the Clywdian Range.

London, United...
Level Contributor
4,920 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Attractions when driving from London to Chester

Thank you Matt

Get answers to your questions about Chester