We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

somewhere really special

australia
Level Contributor
45 posts
1 review
Save Topic
somewhere really special

We are holidaying in the UK in July and will be hiring a car for 5 days from Liverpool heading south down to Cornwall.

My birthday is on the 8th July and I am looking for somewhere memorable to spend the day and stay overnight. Whether it is a hotel or B & B would not matter. We are coming over from Australia and never holidayed in England before. I have heard that Wales is very picturesque and could spend time there if I could only just find a wonderful place to stay.

Any suggestions would be most appreciated.

Cheers

CycloneWanda

Potters Bar, United...
Level Contributor
903 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: somewhere really special

Hi Cyclonewanda, you mention your coming down to Cornwall and then say that you want to spend time in Wales?

Do you want Cornwall or Wales for your special day and are you driving down so you'll have your own transport??

If you mean Cornwall then you could stay in the Falmouth Area we have some lovely hotels and restaurants & Beaches (see Trip Advisor inside pages for Falmouth, Cornwall).

What do you like to do/see and i'll see if anywhere springs to mind?!

:) Caz

London, United...
Level Contributor
6,188 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: somewhere really special

I would stick with Cornwall for 5 days. There is so much to see and do and it is popular with Australians. If you like beaches, coastal walks and beautiful scenery you have it all in Cornwall. I would agree Falmouth is a good place to base yourselves. Take a look at the list of Cornwall hotels. If you want a special day out I would recommend a day in the Padstow and have lunch/dinner at the Seafood restaurant.

Blois, France
Destination Expert
for Blois
Level Contributor
799 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: somewhere really special

HI Cyclonewanda, I recommend that you have a look at the website for Hotel Tresanton in St Mawes, www.tresanton.com. You would certainly have a very special stay here especially if the weather is fine and you have dinner on the terrace (tables 41-45 are best) overlooking the bay with dolphins swimming under the twinkling moonlight (not guaranteed!). Expensive yes, but definitely worth it. Rooms 1 and 5 are my favourite because they have private terraces. St Mawes itself is regarded as one of the UK's most beautiful small villages with lots of options for accommodation at all price levels, www.stmawesharbour.co.uk.

UK
Level Contributor
119 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: somewhere really special

I agree Cornwall is probably going to keep you more occupied than Wales. But both places are charming in different ways. I used to live in Cornwall and loved Penwith - the rugged, granite coastline from St Ives to Lands End and round the western tip to Penzance. It's a land of legends about smuggling (Wreckers), tin-mining, Pixies, etc., You can't possibly not visit the Minack Theatre at Porthcurno- an outdoor theatre where you can take a picnic along in the evening with a wonderful view over the cliffs. Their website is www.minack.com

The Land's End hotel is set in a great location but will be busy. The Cape Cornwall Golf club at St Just is also at a stunning location: www.capecornwall.com - you don't have to play golf if you don't want to..! There is surfing at Sennen, St Ives, and Gwithian. St Ives is a popular resort but can be overrun with too many people in the summer and as it's a small town this can get too much. Anyway hope I have helped in some way with my knowledge of the area I know best?

~The Bat~

australia
Level Contributor
45 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: somewhere really special

Thank you all for replying. I am still looking into all your suggestions and trying to work out whether we should catch a train from Liverpool to say Plymouth or does the rail service go as far as Falmouth. Perhaps we should hire a car so that we are able to see something of Wales first.

In Falmouth the Crill Manor Hotel & Restaurant has been given some great reviews by fellow travellers. Perhaps this is the place to stay on my birthday?? What do you all think?? After looking around the south west of England we are planning to fly to Ireland. Where would be the nearest airport flying to Dublin.

Sorry for all these questions but I am half a world away trying to plan a once in a lifetime holiday.

Cheers

CycloneWanda

Devizes, United...
Level Contributor
40,216 posts
340 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: somewhere really special

Hi C W

The railway goes right down into Cornwall and if you alight at Truro, you can take the branch line down to Falmouth. The main line ultimately terminates at Penzance plus, if you are depending on trains, there is also another branch line that leaves the mainline at St Erth and takes a short but very scenic route into St Ives.

Potters Bar, United...
Level Contributor
903 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: somewhere really special

Hi CW, GB has rightly answered you question re: trains to Falmouth with regard to flying to Dublin - Newquay Airport goes to Dublin you will need to check with them re availability etc.,

www.airsouthwest.com/…

Crill Manor is a bit out of town so ideally a car would make life easier and if you are thinking of flying over to Dublin you may also have a prob getting direct to the Airport - a car would obviously over come all these little niggles and i would probably advise you to go down this route - Cornwall is great with a car but hard work without .

I haven't personally been to the Crill Manor but i will ring my friend a bit later, as she lives a short distance from here and i'm sure certain she's eaten there. I'll get back to you on that.

I'm not sure on your budget but the Budock Vean Hotel is VERY nice (but a bit expensive) - web page:

http://www.budockvean.co.uk/

I eat here often as i work nearby and can definately recommend the food (even the lunch time bar meals are a meal in themselves!!!) Its in a similar position to the Crill Manor as in it's "out in the sticks" ....but you can walk through the grounds of the Budock Vean onto the creekside beach and there is a lovely waterside pub called the Ferryboat Inn within a mile of here which again is great!!

If you want any other info just ask :) Caz

Potters Bar, United...
Level Contributor
903 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: somewhere really special

Hi CW , my friend did eat here but it was quite a long time ago so i can't really give you an update on the food. However, she did say that it is very nice there. Sorry i can't be of any further help for Crill Manor. :) CAz

northampton
Level Contributor
1,106 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: somewhere really special

Wales has some wonderful scenery, especially around Snowdonia, but what it doesn't have are pretty villages and fantastic pubs. If you only have 5 days, I would have thought that Cornwall was a better option. Loads of things to do and see, wonderful scenery and lots of little villages and bays to explore.

Hotel Tresanton is very good but I prefer the Driftwood Hotel near Portscatho in the same area. Perched on a cliff overlooking a private beach, it really is lovely. I also think the food is better than Tresanton.

I know you must be used to driving long distances in Australia but the roads and traffic in most of the UK make driving here a definite non-pleasurable activity unless you stick to the country lanes. To drive from Liverpool down to Cornwall will take you at least 6 hours, probably longer. Another option would be to take the train from Liverpool Lime Street to Manchester Airport (about 40 minutes) and fly down to Newquay (BMI Baby or Air Southwest). You could pick up a car from Newquay Airport and Cornwall will be at your mercy.

As mentioned in other posts, you can then fly to Ireland from Newquay.

If you really want to visit Wales, I would recommend the Hotel Portmeirion. Fantastic location. Don't know whether you ever got it in Oz but there used to be a programme on UK TV years ago called "The Prisoner" which was filmed on location in Portmeirion.

You can check out reviews for these hotels on TA. Wherever you decide to spend your holiday, welcome to the UK.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
1,008 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: somewhere really special

If you get the train down and want a car best bet is Truro which has a Hertz rental office in the station.

If you start taking BMI/Ryanair flights internally be very aware of the luggage allowances which are often well below the international ones.

The flights are often so cheap any opportunity to claw some money back is taken!