We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Isles of Scilly

England
Level Contributor
384 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Isles of Scilly

Hi all

We are holidaying in Cornwall in August and I would like info on the Isles of Scilly.

Is it worth going for a day trip?

What do you recommend us to do once there? (family with 2 kids aged 13 & 4)

Ferry or fly?

I was thinking maybe take the bikes with us and cycle around - is this possible?

Looking forward to your replies.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
1,008 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Isles of Scilly

Worth a day trip. I'd go for the ferry. Clearly the weather is variable at any time of the year but you have a nice scenic trip on the boat.

You can rent bikes over there but if you have your own then it's worth checking if they can be taken on the boat. Certainly more likely than on the plane or helicopter.

http://www.islesofscilly-travel.co.uk/

cornwall
Level Contributor
43 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Isles of Scilly

I've done ferry and helicopter, by ferry every single person was being sea sick, the boat rolled badly, helicopter was easy from Penzance and had a great view of st michaels mount on the way. our son was 6 weeks old at the time, once we got to the isles of scilly we saw signs for boat trips to see the seals- definitely recommended, we saw loads and loads of seals, in the sea and sun bathing on the rocks and then the boat took us to pick up passengers at some of the other islands, it was just a small fishing boat so had really good view i think any kids would love to do that. have a good time

Potters Bar, United...
Level Contributor
910 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Isles of Scilly

Hi

I have to agree with the last post, definately fly over.....The downside is it costs more, but if your going to visit the Scily's for the day then you have to fly! As previously mentioned people were being sick everywhere...and it really does not make you feel good at all!! The length of time it takes to get there on the boat also makes flying a must! Enjoy it's beautiful :) Caz

4. Re: Isles of Scilly

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 September 2009, 15:16