We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Car travel late October

NSW Australia
1 post
Save Topic
Car travel late October

I will be travelling to Cornwall by car late Oct & would like to visit quaint villages. Have about 3 days but not too keen on long walks. What suggestions? Also will accom. be problem as I dont want to pre-book. Prices of B & B on internet are quite expensive when converted to Aussie $ so looking for cheaper accom not necessary big breakfast.

Cardiff, United...
Level Contributor
705 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Car travel late October

There are many quaint villages in Cornwall. It depends on how quiet a trip you want. It is school holidays which can vary from each region but usually start approx 22 October for the week.

Some places are busier at that time and it is wise to book, but not essential. If you were travelling July & August - peak time I would say essential to book.

Some suggeted places to visit are: St Mawes (beautiful but may be quiet as out of main season) - this is near to Falmouth a busier town & can reached by car , or a shorter journey by boat.

The city of Truro is also worth a visit as it is the gateway town to the area.

Fowey is also beautiful (nearest large town on may is St Austell -Fowey to the east). It is pronounced as in FOY.

Other more touristy areas re: St Ives (in west of Cornwall), Padstow & further north Tintagel. These are very popular but all different & still worth a visit - especially as out of main season. I would avoid Newquay if you want quaint places.

All the above are within 1 hour or so drive of each other- max 2 hours.

If you are more specific on budget, how many people etc I may be able to suggest accomm to look at.

Hope this gives you a start, but just ask if you want more.

Potters Bar, United...
Level Contributor
903 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Car travel late October

Hi there I live near Falmouth and we have lots of lovely places to visit it depends on what you want from your stay - the north coast (Newquay)is jagged cliffs and "surfing" beaches the south coast (Falmouth) is beaches and creeks. You will find Falmouth (small town) a good base it's sweet and by the river with access to St.Mawes (via a car ferry) about 10 miles away for day trips, Porthleven is a "quaint" fishing village (this is just down the coast from Helston) about 14 miles from Falmouth (20-25 mins by car). Fowey is a nice place to visit too, as is Polperro both of these places could be visited from Falmouth on "Day Trip" basis. You will have no problem with B&B's in Falmouth there are masses. It will be 1/2 term but this will not be a problem as many families do not travel down in winter time. Any other questions just fire away.

Fowey, Cornwall
Level Contributor
152 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Car travel late October

You'll have no problem finding accommodation in October. Just call into the tourist information centres in all main areas if you get stuck and they will soon sort you out.

For really quaint villages, I love just driving over Bodmin moor and seeing where the roads take me. There are also lots of places along the Helford passage which are idyllic.

I notice that everyone answering your post have suggested you stay in Fowey, and I totally agree. It's not too big and touristy like other places along the South Coast and still can truly be described as quaint. Another short drive I often do, is to go across the Bodinnick Car Ferry in Fowey (an experience in itself as it's driven properly and not run across chains like many car ferries!) taking all the back lanes and then go to Lerryn which I'm sure you'll love.

Kentisbeare, United...
Level Contributor
370 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Car travel late October

north cornwall - port isaac, tintagel, boscastle, padstow

(all pretty near each other).

south cornwall - looe, polperro, mousehole (tiny streets!),

oh and you must visit the lizard (most southernly point),

great views and coastal walks and lovely cornish pasties at anne's famous pasty shop!