We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best to Travel by Train or Car to Cornwall?

London
Level Contributor
20 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Best to Travel by Train or Car to Cornwall?

Might be visiting Cornwall in a group of 5 girls in a week’s time for 1 day on a weekday but depends on cost.

I had a look at the pictures of the scenery in Cornwall here on trip advisor and they look amazing. We are interested in sight seeing, find some hot spots for picture opportunities, beach and maybe visit the castles, as much as we can fit in 1 day. As I am travelling with students need to keep cost low.

Travelling from Exeter to Cornwall and here are the options:

Option 1) Travel by train from Exeter to Newquay in Cornwall where the price on the train ticket is reasonable however I am not sure how easy it would be to travel by bus from one spot to another and how much the cost would be. If they have a days travel card and how frequent the buses are.

Option 2) Hire a car and drive from Exeter to Cornwall and visit all the different hot spots however I am not sure how easy it would be to find parking at the different locations and how much it cost to park.

Also I am not sure if all the different spots are walking distance.

Any information or advice would be helpful.

Many thanks

Mentioned in this post
Newquay
Newquay
Cornwall, UK
Tintagel Castle
Ancient Ruins, Castles, Mysterious Sites
Pendennis Castle
Castles, Historic Sites
Restormel Castle
Castles, Historic Sites
Bodmin, United...
Destination Expert
for Cornwall
Level Contributor
12,603 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best to Travel by Train or Car to Cornwall?

If you are limited to one day, then my recommendation is to take the car. Public transport in Cornwall is often quite infrequent and you could waste a lot of time waiting for the bus or train. If you have the car you can spend as much time as you like at an attraction.

Not sure what 'spots' you mean, but there are beautiful places all over Cornwall, and not many are within walking distance of each other.

Think you will have a really good time driving round finding different places, shame you don't have longer than one day!

Cornwall,UK
Destination Expert
for Cornwall, Isles of Scilly
Level Contributor
3,505 posts
341 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best to Travel by Train or Car to Cornwall?

Yes, i agree a car is the way to get most in for one day. It will take about 1.5 hours to reach the scenic north cornwall coast around Tintagel,then onto Newquay beaches or go to Polzeath beach if you are doing N.Cornwall.

The train will take something like 2.5 to 3 hours to get to Newquay(i'm guessing) so you will be able to do way more diff things using a car.

If you just want a day in Newquay and have a few drinks then the train would be a good bet.

Mentioned in this post
Tintagel
Tintagel
Cornwall, UK
Newquay
Newquay
Cornwall, UK
Polzeath
Polzeath
Cornwall, UK
UK
Level Contributor
49,560 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best to Travel by Train or Car to Cornwall?

For one day?? So you mean there and back same day? You wont be able to see much and certainly you can forget visiting many places in a day by public transport, a car is really essential for most places

as you dont have the time to faff about on public transport. In a day you wont visit Cornwall, just you'll visit one or two places there.

When you said 'visit **all** the different hotspots' and 'are they within walking distance', just how teeny do you think Cornwall is, its well over 1,000 sq miles in area, good luck walking that in a day!!)

Realistically you'd likely only fit a couple of places in, so until you choose those (Eden project/? St Michaels Mount? Porthleven? ST Ives? Newquay? Lands End ?? Westward Ho! etc etc ???) no one one can say whats reasonable and practical for travel - but car is likely to be the way to go by a long way unless you just take a bus tour to the Eden project or something similar.

Mentioned in this post
St Ives
St Ives
Cornwall, UK
Newquay
Newquay
Cornwall, UK
London
Level Contributor
20 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best to Travel by Train or Car to Cornwall?

Thank you to everyone for your input has been very helpful.

I do realise Cornwall is a very big place hence why I don’t expect to see everything in one day however would like to fit in as much as possible and if that means 1 or 2 places, so be it as long as the day is enjoyable. Also nothing stopping me from revisiting therefore I don’t feel the need to cover everything in one day.

Looks like I’ll be taking a car.

How easy or difficult is it to find parking and is parking expensive?

For example 50p for an hour or £3 for an hour, I don’t expect you to be exact, just wanted to get a rough idea. I do understand there are different rules at different parts of Cornwall but again just wanted to get a rough idea.

Again many thanks

UK
Level Contributor
49,560 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best to Travel by Train or Car to Cornwall?

<<How easy or difficult is it to find parking and is parking expensive?>>

Replace 'Cornwall' with 'London' and you'll see how general and not-very-useful that question and any answers to it might be !

Suppose I tell you parking is generally a £1 an hour, and then you go to the Eden Project or Clovelly and find its £10 "like it or lump it" with nowhere else to park nearby, , or I tell you that parking is easy to find, and then you try and park in St Isaac?

Decide where you want to go, then ask again, when the answers will be useful to you and not pointless.

If you don't want to do that, then taking all 1,500 sq miles into account, on average parking is free and easy to find.

Chesterfield...
Level Contributor
917 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best to Travel by Train or Car to Cornwall?

I'll try and be a bit more helpful.

Parking near any tourist spot in the summer is rarely free and can be quite difficult and sometimes impossible. If I stick to the places Badcatt mentioned which are a doable day out from Exeter, Tintagel should be OK to park and a couple of pounds should cover it. Port Isaac can be a nightmare to park and we struggled to find anywhere on a weekday a couple of weeks ago. But again £2-3 is ample for a short stay.

The beach car park at Polzeath gets very full but there is usually space on the car park up on the cliffs by the camp site (can't remember the name off hand). £3 gives you 3 hours I think.

Daymer Bay was charging £3 for all day last week and there is usually space to squeeze in somewhere.

Padstow runs a park and ride in the summer on the right hand side just on the outskirts which I think was around £3.50 and is the best bet. Of the other car parks there, those down by the harbour get chocca but the one at the top of the village sometimes has a few spaces. £2-3 again should be enough.

I can't help with the parking at Newquay other than to say it can be a nightmare but not that expensive as far as I can remember. By the way the coast road from Padstow to Newquay is a lovely drive with plenty of places to stop off.

Enjoy your day.

Mentioned in this post
Tintagel
Tintagel
Cornwall, UK
Port Isaac
Port Isaac
Cornwall, UK
Polzeath
Polzeath
Cornwall, UK
Padstow
Padstow
Cornwall, UK
Newquay
Newquay
Cornwall, UK
7. Re: Best to Travel by Train or Car to Cornwall?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 December 2009, 06:16