We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travelling from Pembroke

Ireland
Level Contributor
61 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Travelling from Pembroke

Hi. I am taking a few days holiday with my mum and sister. I will be taking the ferry from Ireland. I need to decide where to arrive - Holyhead or Pembroke.I would be grateful if someone could advise me on an itinerary if i arrive in either destination. I was thinking Cornwall/Dorset or the Lakes - somewhere beautiful and relaxing, with good food and accommodation!

Thanks

Devizes, United...
Level Contributor
40,216 posts
340 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Travelling from Pembroke

Hi there

I'm sorry but how can we provide you with an itinerary on such limited information? All you tell is is that you will arrive at either Pembroke or Holyhead.....Both Cornwall and the Lakes can offer you much but surely at the very least, you should have a good idea of where YOU want to go rather than us telling you where to go?

How many are a "few days"?

What sort of places/sights/activities interest you?

What sort of accommodation?? - cottage, B & B, 5 star hotel, or what?

Do you want to stay in one place as a base or travel around and stay somewhere different every night?

Doylestown...
Level Contributor
1,591 posts
507 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Travelling from Pembroke

If you arrive at Pembroke and wanted to drive to Cornwall, it would take over 5 hours driving back through Wales, nearby Bristol and then down to Cornwall. I imagine that drive would quickly eliminate any sense of relaxation from your holiday. If I were to arrive in Pembroke, I would rather spend time in the delights of South West Wales such as Pembroke, Dale, Angle, Freshwater, Broadhaven and St David's - castles, cathedrals, beaches, old pubs, trips to see the seals and puffins, and great food. Staying somewhere like Dale or St David's would be a lovely option.

If you arrive in Holyhead, it is a little over 3 hours to Windermere. Again, if it were me arriving in Holyhead, I would consider northern Wales including Angelsey, Caenarfon, Llandudno, Conwy, Snowdonia and maybe Chester in England.

Hope this helps

Mutiny

Ireland
Level Contributor
61 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Travelling from Pembroke

Thanks Mutiny. That is very helpful. As I am not at all familar with either area, I just needed some general guidance. We are heading to Pembroke as it turns out so I will definitely be checking out South Wales. As you say, driving to Cornwall is too much for a short time.

Thanks again.

Somerset UK
Destination Expert
for Devon
Level Contributor
1,049 posts
201 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Travelling from Pembroke

Seeing it's going to be Pembroke your Dorset option is a lot nearer than Cornwall.

Cornwall,UK
Destination Expert
for Cornwall, Isles of Scilly
Level Contributor
3,494 posts
322 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Travelling from Pembroke

Seeing as you are arriving in either N or S Wales ,why not explore the beauty of Wales.From Holyhead you are close to Snowdonia which is a beautiful area to spend a few days.

6. Re: Travelling from Pembroke

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 February 2010, 05:17
Get answers to your questions about Cornwall