We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best Place to Stay in Cornwall when there for a week

Scotland
Level Contributor
268 posts
57 reviews
Save Topic
Best Place to Stay in Cornwall when there for a week

I am planning on going to Cornwall for a week's holiday beginning next July with my husband and my daughter who will then be 16. We are planning on self catering. We will fly down from Inverness to Bristol and then hire a car. I don't drive so we want to stay in the middle of a place with a fair bit of activity so my daughter and I can go out without having to be driven everywhere. We love craft shops, "tourist" shops, galleries, restaurants, and bookshops (most important for me). We also love getting out and about to different places. Love good scenery/countryside. We want to go to Scillies. I love the sea so would like a harbour/beach. We were in Devon in 2003 and visited the Eden Project then (think it was quite newly opened). I would quite like to go to the theatre/anything musical/cinema. We were thinking of Penzance. What do the real experts on Cornwall think? Thanks very much for any help.

Lichfield
Level Contributor
1,262 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
21. Re: Best Place to Stay in Cornwall when there for a week

This one provides towels:-

aspects-holidays.co.uk/propertydetails.asp…

Cornwall
Level Contributor
46 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
22. Re: Best Place to Stay in Cornwall when there for a week

Though I loved St Ives for years, and it's still pretty amazing, I enjoy it less these days as it's so crowded and a lot more touristy than it used to be.

For centrality, I'd agree with the suggestion of Falmouth. That's where I live, and I don't drive, so rely on public transport.

Falmouth isn't THE most beautiful town in Cornwall, but the whole town centre street has stunning glimpses of the river. In Falmouth too is Pendennis Castle, plenty of shops (lots of surfy-type clothing which your daughter may enjoy?!), two very good second hand bookshops and a good independent bookseller, a huge choice of restaurants and cafes, some great fish and chips (Harbour Lights for sustainable fish!). The river and harbour views on one side of the peninsula are contrasted with the seafront of the other. There are two main beaches in Falmouth, with Swanpool Beach 10 minutes along the coastal path and Maenporth Beach a lengthier walk from there. And so much accommodation that I would be surprised if you didn't find something to your requirements.

From Falmouth boats regularly leave for the village of Flushing (£2 each way, a couple of minutes across the river), and St Mawes (not sure of the cost, a little further away, eateries and a castle there), and wonderful boat trip to Truro down the river (about an hour, breathtaking scenery, a great way to arrive in Truro for a shopping day). By bus there are direct routes to truro, Camborne and Penzance (the latter takes two hours, but is a lovely journey, or get off after 45 minutes in Porthleven for a wonderful relaxing harbour day with a beach and great coastal walks.

And by train or bus, St Ives can be reached from falmouth in around an hour. The St Erth to St Ives Branchline is worth taking wherever you end up staying!

The downside to Falmouth for you is it's probably not ideally placed for you to visit the Scillies. But for me, the Scillies would be a couple-of-days job really.

I hope you find enough to enable you to stay here next year after all.

Scotland
Level Contributor
268 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
23. Re: Best Place to Stay in Cornwall when there for a week

Thank you very much. Falmouth looks good too. We are still not 100 per cent sure what we are doing.

Thank you to everyone for their help.

Audrey

Scotland
Level Contributor
268 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
24. Re: Best Place to Stay in Cornwall when there for a week

I have seen a place called Fowey with great accommodation. What do you all think of there for a week?

Audrey

Cornwall
Level Contributor
46 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
25. Re: Best Place to Stay in Cornwall when there for a week

Hello Audrey,

Fowey - "Foy" - is a lovely place, where I have camped. I remember nice shops and a good atmosphere in the town. But I don't get there much these days as I don't drive, and I'm not sure it's the easiest place to get to and from by public transport. Others here may know more than me on that, but it's something to consider with you not driving - it's possibly not one of the more well-connected Cornish towns transport-wise...

Lichfield
Level Contributor
1,262 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
26. Re: Best Place to Stay in Cornwall when there for a week

Hi Audrey

I've not been to Fowey for a while. As Bob says, it is lovely, however, he has hit the nail on the head by saying it isn't the most easily accessible place by public transport.

I've just come back from a week in Carbis Bay. We arrived on the Saturday, did our food shopping on the Sunday and didn't touch the car until we were coming home on the following Saturday. That is why I suggested Carbis Bay/St Ives. I don't actually know of anywhere else with such good transport links with all the other things you are looking for too in the whole of Cornwall. There is always some of what you want but not the rest.

Fowey is lovely but I think you will be a lot more reliant on the car if you do choose accommodation over that way.

Do let us know if you find somewhere and how you get on.

Suzi

Cornwall,UK
Destination Expert
for Cornwall, Isles of Scilly
Level Contributor
3,484 posts
301 reviews
Save Reply
27. Re: Best Place to Stay in Cornwall when there for a week

Fowey is a lovely riverside small town with plenty of restaurants and quite a few shops. Are you travelling by car? There is a decent bus service and the nearest main line railway station is only 10 mins by car/bus. I wouldn't be put off by the transport comments,its not exactly in the middle of no where.

Its a very popular destination with a charm of its own.

Scotland
Level Contributor
268 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
28. Re: Best Place to Stay in Cornwall when there for a week

We would possibly be flying to Bristol and then hiring a car.

Audrey

29. Re: Best Place to Stay in Cornwall when there for a week

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 March 2010, 06:32