We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cornwall for 6 days early May '10

ny
Level Contributor
42 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Cornwall for 6 days early May '10

Hello.

My husband and I are planning a trip for Cornwall at the end of this month for 6 days. There is so much to see and do, we know that 6 days is a very short time, however, we're having a hard time narrowing down what to see and do, and where to stay!

We're both in our 30's and will be driving from London so will be having a car with us. We're interested in hikes, walks (of medium difficulty), places of scenic beauty, old fishing villages, seaside views, and local FOOD! Not too interested in busy town centres.

Our budge is for mid-priced B&B's, and the occasional splash-out for a meal.

We also have National Trust membership so are hoping to take advantage of it.

Any suggestions of where we should base ourselves? Parking would be preferable. I'm wondering if we should stay 3 days in one town, and then 3 days in another to see more?

Secondly, any suggestions of good walks and especially mid-priced restaurants/ pubs/ dives for delicious local food? Also, where can I taste the best cornish pasties and clotted creme?

Any suggestions of must-have local ingredients to take back with me to London?

Many thanks!!!

gtrekker2003

London
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Cornwall for 6 days early May '10

Snap. We're doing the same thing in May. My husband and I always base ourselves in Polperro - a tiny old smugglers village on the south coast between Looe and Fowey. Due to the tiny streets there are no cars in the village - but there's a large car park at the entrance to Polperro so you leave your car there and walk down through the town to the harbour. We rent a cottage (£350 per week at this time of year through holidaycottagespolperro.com) but there may well be B&Bs available nearby too. Lots of places to eat and drink (the Blue Peter pub is the village hub) but we love the walking. There are great walks along the cliff paths that lead to little beaches and if you're feeling really fit you can walk from Polperro to Fowey (you need to take the little ferryboat for the final leg across the estuary). Fowey, Looe and Megavissey are all nearby and very nice.

If you fancy the north coast I hear good things about Mousehole (pron: Mozel) but we've not tried it out yet. Have a great time whatever you do.

Bournemouth
Level Contributor
576 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cornwall for 6 days early May '10

You will find Moushole is on the South coast just round from Penzance. & next to Newlyn. There is not a lot there. What there is, is nice.

Edited: 08 April 2010, 16:11
Vvn
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
41 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cornwall for 6 days early May '10

We are going early June. Just read your reply to gtrekker, but we are taking an Aston Martin, so good off street parking is a priority, do you have any suggestions ?

4. Re: Cornwall for 6 days early May '10

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 09 April 2010, 11:35
York, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
1,374 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cornwall for 6 days early May '10

Dont forget the north coast if Cornwall with its wonderful beaches and restaurants. Like Jamie Olivers and Rick Steins but those not so well known do brilliant food too. Carbis Bay.Fiscal Bay and other around not to be missed and at this time of year are not crowded you may have the beach to yourselves if you are lucky..

Bodmin, United...
Destination Expert
for Cornwall
Level Contributor
12,538 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Cornwall for 6 days early May '10

vvn, parking is a problem in lots of villages in Cornwall, you would be best placed booking accommodation with it's own parking space if it's so important to you. And you keep on mentioning your aston martin so it must be

Cornwall,UK
Destination Expert
for Cornwall, Isles of Scilly
Level Contributor
3,475 posts
299 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Cornwall for 6 days early May '10

Annabelle, i know what you mean, i have sooooo much trouble parking my Aston in our car unfriendly villages. Do you mean to say you park your Aston on the street? : )

8. Re: Cornwall for 6 days early May '10

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 09 April 2010, 21:35
9. Re: Cornwall for 6 days early May '10

Removed on: 09 April 2010, 22:00
10. Re: Cornwall for 6 days early May '10

Removed on: 09 April 2010, 22:35