We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

swimming gear????

norwich
Level Contributor
239 posts
1 review
Save Topic
swimming gear????

going to cornwall in august,will we need wetsuits to go in the sea?if its that cold ,actually how cold is it in the sea north coast just down from newquay cheers

Tintagel,Cornwall
Level Contributor
741 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: swimming gear????

The temperature is at best about 18C August/September.

Most swimmers don't use wetsuits only the surfers who are in the water all year round.

The water temperature is at least 10C too low for me!

Bodmin, United...
Destination Expert
for Cornwall
Level Contributor
12,549 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: swimming gear????

It's too cold for me too, lol, but my children used to spend most of the summer in the sea and never wore wetsuits. Just remember it's ok once you get used to it!

Bournemouth
Level Contributor
576 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: swimming gear????

I believe that wetsuits have become a bit of a fashion thing for people to have .

We have surfed for many a year at Fistral Beach amoung other places & they seem to be a must have.

We have swam & surfed at Fistral with & without a wetsuit. The temperature is ok to swim without one from now right through to end of September no problem.

If you do need one, don't wait till you get down as they can be expensive. Some of the supermarkets Tesco & Sainsburys are doing them really cheap.

Cornwall, England
Level Contributor
592 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: swimming gear????

As far as Perranporth beach is concerned, my kids (when young) only used wetsuits when they were body boarding and then only to protect their skin. It does feel cold when you first go in, some people just go for it, others go in slowly and get used to it as they go, whichever, there is nothing quite like it when you do and lets face it, it can't be that bad at this time of year considering people along this coast swim on Boxing Day!

Bodmin, United...
Destination Expert
for Cornwall
Level Contributor
12,549 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: swimming gear????

I was at Charlestown regatta yesterday, people playing water polo in the harbour, and then there were the raft races, not a wetsuit in sight, although lots of other forms of fancy dress on a few of the rafts, most of the 'rafters' ended up in the water! And it was chilly, I was wearing a fleece!

Cornwall,UK
Destination Expert
for Cornwall, Isles of Scilly
Level Contributor
3,484 posts
301 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: swimming gear????

Annabelle

My daughter was down there in the harbour yesterday for some of the swimming races/ games and she hates the cold but didn't complain.

We always went swimming when i was a kid all Summer long, but the Atlantic north coast always felt colder than the south coast, but we still went in.

I prefer the Carribean these days for swimming : )

Edited: 25 July 2010, 21:03
7. Re: swimming gear????

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 January 2011, 07:16