We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cornwall Drive holiday from London

London
Level Contributor
20 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
Cornwall Drive holiday from London

Hi,

my boyfriend and I are planning a driving trip from London to Cornwall and back. We have 7 days and plan to stop in Devon on the way back. I have booked us into the Rick Steins restaurant on the Thursday night.

Can anybody suggest the route we should take and suggest places we should stop.

Hotel /B&B suggestions would be really welcomed as well.

Very excited

Thanks

Claire

Bournemouth
Level Contributor
576 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cornwall Drive holiday from London

When are you planning on going ?

What of things are you interested in ? or do you want to do ?

Walking ? Surfing, etc.

Have you set yourselves a budget ?

To be honest the are better Fish & Chip Restaurants in Cornwall than the one you have booked. It really is about a name .

Do you have any idea of where you want to go or see ? That would help with then telling you the best route.

Devizes, United...
Level Contributor
40,216 posts
340 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cornwall Drive holiday from London

Hi there

Bear in mind as well that Cornwall is a long, thin county, maybe 80 miles from east to far west so if you want to avoid lots of backtracking, you'd be better off looking at two bases for the stay, one say in the west ( e.g. Falmouth, St Ives, Penzance) and one maybe either on the southeast coast ( Mevagissey, Polperro, Looe) or the north coast ( Port Isaac, Padstow).

But as hector says, it all depends upon what you want to see and do.

London
Level Contributor
20 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cornwall Drive holiday from London

Hi,

A big thank you to you both for getting back to me on this. We leave on the 20th of November and we have got 7 days.

We have set ourselves a budget of £60 - £80 a night. If somewhere is really good we can stretch to £100 - but not for every night

We are keen to relax ! and me being the girl in the relationship - Romance. Big open fires, candle lit dinners, slow walks on the beach, big comfy beds, being able to chill out and read the papers on a couch.

We really love our food as well - so any good recommendations - especially for a brilliant Sunday roast, cavery or place for a ploughman’s

Thanks again

Bournemouth
Level Contributor
576 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cornwall Drive holiday from London

To get what you want you would be better of looking at cottages. Plus this time of year you would get a really good cottage & get change from your budget. Hear is an idea & we have done it at this time of year aswell as in the summer. It will mean that you are central to get around Cornwall . With the added comforts that you want.

Why not try Porthleven,stunning place to stay right on the coast. Nice restaurants & pubs that do food. Fantasic walks right on your doorstep. One is from Porthleven & take the Loe Bar Road

http://www.porthleven-online.com/custom2.html

We have stayed in Porthleven on three separate occasions & can well recommend Porthleven Holiday

www.cornishpropertymanagement.co.uk they have a large selection of cottages.

Our advise would be to book one overlooking the beach. It is very peaceful & beautiful. The cottages around the harbour can be a bit of a problem with parking.

Please feel free to ask if you need any help with the locations of the cottages we as we know where the Sea / beach view cottges are positioned.

Devizes, United...
Level Contributor
40,216 posts
340 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cornwall Drive holiday from London

Hi again Claire

With the greatest of respect, other than walking on the beach, all your wishes for this trip appear to revolve around being cosy indoors!! Nothing wrong with that of course, it's your trip, but there is such a wealth of things to see and do in Cornwall - what "outdoor" things, other than walking along beaches, appeal to you? Cornwall has formal gardens, castles, ancient sites, stone circles, picturesque fishing villages, amazing scenery, country houses and much more. Come on, give us a clue!! :0)

Devizes, United...
Level Contributor
40,216 posts
340 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Cornwall Drive holiday from London

No need to be shy....:0)

London
Level Contributor
20 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Cornwall Drive holiday from London

Thanks so much to both of you for your suggestions - the problem with a cottage is you can only do seven nights and we really wanted to explore the area and coast line - I think we will spend 2 nights in Foye (don't think that's the right spelling) 2 in St. Ives and 2 in Patstow - is that a good plan? Can you suggest any BB or hotels and where is good to eat

Claire

Bournemouth
Level Contributor
576 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Cornwall Drive holiday from London

Cornwall is not that big to get around. Plus the time of year you are going you will not get alot of traffic.

What you are considering is alot of packing & unpacking every other day . That is not alot of chill time. I really don't think you will get the best out of what you are looking for. Plus your daylight is shorter this time of year, so you have less time to get around places. If you went somewhere central of all of them. It would be more practical. Then you could travel out to Fowey, St Ives & Padstow. All this would equal unpacking & packing once. More Chill time , more time to see more of Cornwall not just the three places that you have mentioned. Plus the cottage would be a cheaper option

Edited: 09 November 2010, 19:43
Bodmin, United...
Destination Expert
for Cornwall
Level Contributor
12,573 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Cornwall Drive holiday from London

If you were to base yourself somewhere more central it is easy to explore Cornwall, just set off in different directions each day, then return to your base at night. If you travel in a straight line along the A30 nowhere is going to take any more than an hour to get to when you are coming back to it.

That's certainly better than packing up every couple of days and booking into a new B&B to my mind anyway.

Lichfield
Level Contributor
1,262 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Cornwall Drive holiday from London

I agree with both GB and Annabelle on this one, basing yourself centrally will cut down driving time but will still allow you to get to all the places that you want to see with less driving. Hours of daylight are much less at this time of the year so you will get the best out of your holiday with no packing or unpacking to take your time up and only having to find your way back to the same place each time.

You can always add a few extra home comforts to take with you for the dark evenings and in case you don't want to go out when day if the weather is a bit rough, laptop, DAB radio, CD's, things like that.

Suzi