We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

cheap petrol?

Munich, Germany
Level Contributor
3,565 posts
19 reviews
Save Topic
cheap petrol?

I assume the deeper into cornwall one ventures, the higher the petrol prices? If this is the case, which larger town is recommended to fill up in? Or are we just talking about a few pence difference compared to say london or bristol etc? Cheers

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
33,022 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: cheap petrol?

There are websites that tell you the price of petrol at various locations.

Unless you are doing hundreds of miles, you don;t need to fill up....

East Sussex, United...
Level Contributor
5,467 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: cheap petrol?

The words 'cheap' and 'petrol' haven't sat comfortably side by side in the UK for several years now Im afraid.

Leeds, United...
Destination Expert
for Leeds, Bradford
Level Contributor
21,744 posts
338 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: cheap petrol?

One such website which has fuel prices in the UK is listed below. Just enter a post code or town/city and it will pull up the cheapest, average & most expensive prices in that area.

http://www.petrolprices.com/ *

* - you will need to register with the website for free.

Tintagel,Cornwall
Level Contributor
757 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: cheap petrol?

I don't think it follows that the deeper you are in Cornwall the more expensive petrol is as we often find when we travel to Truro and places further west that the prices seem to be less than in the Bude / Bodmin / Wadebridge areas where we are.

Small village garages have the highest prices (and motorway service areas) and I think supermarkets have the best rates especially when they have the 5p off a litre offers!

Bodmin, United...
Destination Expert
for Cornwall
Level Contributor
12,592 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: cheap petrol?

Large supermarkets such as Asda, Morrisons or Tesco are your best bet for cheaper petrol, but it's still not cheap!

Lichfield
Level Contributor
1,262 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: cheap petrol?

I use petrolprices.com too and that is usually pretty good. Depends on where you are going but I find that the Jet garage at Hayle has well priced petrol compared with other places. Dependant on the time of year, Morrisons and Tesco sometimes do 5pence off per litre if you spend more than £50.00 on shopping so that is worth looking out for before you go down there. In the past, offers like this have tended to be in the summer but I have also noticed the offer when petrol prices have peaked too. As they are on the up again, maybe we might get lucky with this one.

I agree that it is not a case of the deeper into Cornwall you go the more expensive, it does tend to be that supermarkets are cheaper because they have greater buying/negotiation power and smaller outlets are more expensive.

Suzi

7. Re: cheap petrol?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 May 2011, 05:17