We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

family holiday cornwall

radcliffe
Level Contributor
6 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
family holiday cornwall

Hi, we normally go abroad for our family holiday, this summer were looking at booking a holiday in cornwall, have no idea where to start, havnt been since I was very young and we always went on English holidays camping and had fantastic times but cant remember where we went, would love some suggestions, as Ive got two 13yr old boys would like good beaches, caves rock pools etc, need lively really to keep them occupied although I really dont like too commercial, my husband has never been on holiday in England and I would love to show him the sights, gratefull for any help.

Devizes, United...
Level Contributor
40,216 posts
340 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: family holiday cornwall

Hi there

I guess the first question is to ask what sort of accommodation are you looking for? Camping sites, cottages, B & Bs, hotels, static caravans or what - maybe you'd be kind enough to give us a clue.

When do you intend going? - July and August will be very busy, my favourite times for visting Cornwll are June and September.

radcliffe
Level Contributor
6 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: family holiday cornwall

hi im looking to go august because of school holidays, probably looking for hotel or b&b

Cornwall,UK
Destination Expert
for Cornwall, Isles of Scilly
Level Contributor
3,482 posts
301 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: family holiday cornwall

Hi

With two teenagers would you not be better off with a self catering holiday cottage or similar as you will have plenty of space and freedom? I'm not too sure i would want to be in a guest house room with my two teenagers for a week!

There are many choices for you. Newquay, Looe, St.Ives, Falmouth,Bude are the main bigger town resorts all with good beaches,shops,restaurants and pubs. These are going to be very lively places in July/August.

There are many smaller places with fabulous beaches and amenities on both coasts,but because of their smaller size will not be as lively as the bigger resorts, though they will still be very busy. There are good camp sites with excellent static caravans all over the place, with several situated on or close to good beaches and with good facilities on site to keep your kids busy.

Have you sent away for any brochures to give yourself an idea of the type of places on offer?

Devizes, United...
Level Contributor
40,216 posts
340 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: family holiday cornwall

Hi again

I definitely agree here - the costs for four people in either a B & B or hotel will be way higher than renting a cottage for your stay, even in August. The advantages are many - you can come and go when you like, if you want to have a lie in, there's no issue with people banging on the doors to clean the room, you don't have to worry about other guests, and you have total privacy once the front door is closed.

Looe would be good for you - loads to see and do, great beach, plenty of pubs and restaurants, a supermarket for your self-catering needs, it's on a railway branch line, it's close to Polperro, a lovely fishing village and quite handy for exploring eastern Cornwall.

One of the best rock pool beaches ever is found off the St Blazey to Par road - as you head for Par, there's a pull in on the right, with a very low rail bridge running to the side. Walk under the bridge and there's a walkway that skirts the china clay works and brings you out on Spit Beach ( at least, that's what we called it when we were kids). At low tide, there are acres of rock pools, some retain 3 or 4 feet of water and are great for kids to scramble around in.

It would take you 40 mins or so to drive there from Looe at a steady pace.

Bodmin, United...
Destination Expert
for Cornwall
Level Contributor
12,545 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: family holiday cornwall

I know I am always banging on about this area, but Daymer Bay would be brilliant for your boys. Some very nice looking villas arttached to the St Moritz Hotel might be nice for you, you have the freedom of a villa, with the hotel on your doorstep if you want it.

http://www.stmoritzvillas.co.uk/

radcliffe
Level Contributor
6 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: family holiday cornwall

Hi

thanks for the reply, no I havnt sent off for brochures yet, I have been looking at cottages i quite fancy the freedom of that, I just got bogged down because there was so much choice and I dont want to end up in a sleepy village miles from anywhere, now ive got some names to go on I will search for some around thoses area thanks.

radcliffe
Level Contributor
6 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: family holiday cornwall

Thanks for the reply, definately given me something to go on, I have been thinking about the cottages just wasnt sure where to start, thanksfor that.

Exeter, UK
Level Contributor
868 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: family holiday cornwall

Cornwall is great if you are after (surf) beaches, but personally, I think Devon has more to offer in terms of attractions. Also - little known fact - because businesses in Devon have a much longer season (most holiday businesses in Cornwall need to make all their money in about 4, 5 months of the year, sometimes shorter), they can (and do) charge lower fees. Just something to ponder!

Oh yes, and fully agree with the points made re. Self Catering. By far the best option when travelling with children. For too many reasons to mention.

Good luck.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Business Travel, New South Wales
Level Contributor
29,949 posts
1,361 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: family holiday cornwall

Just to add we stayed at the Headland Hotel in Newquay which we loved. I noticed they had fabulous cottages attached which would totally suit a family.

www.headlandcottages.co.uk/the-cottages/

Lichfield
Level Contributor
1,262 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: family holiday cornwall

Personally, I think it is well worth the extra hour or so to drive into Cornwall and I probably choose the places as far down as I can like Mullion, The Lizard and St Ives. Every time I go to Devon, it rains :-( Cornwall has some lovely family beaches and some great family attractions, gorgeous scenery, the Coast Path, boat trips, restaurants with great food, the list goes on really. There is plenty all over Cornwall to keep a family happy for their holidays. Yes, there is surf if you are into that.

Suzi